Featured Posts

1 hour ago, NB Lola said:

So, just the big figures

2500 for a mooring in a marina (not London)  *

700 blacking done by marina

800 CRT licence

300 insurance ( inc contents)

1,000 repairs

* Or anywhere remotely near to London, I would say.

We pay approaching that in a rural basin mooring in Northamptonshire, and it is pretty competitive, (and I'm sure will be going up soon).

If we were even down on the outer fringes of Hertfordshire, I would say marina moorings are now generally at least £4,000 plus.

OP doesn't say, I think, if they intend to have a fixed mooring, but having any ha the potential to cost more fr this single item, than licence, insurance and BSS costs would when all added together.

But we would need to know here in the country, and type of mooring sought, to give any vaguely useful numbers, I think.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

If we were even down on the outer fringes of Hertfordshire, I would say marina moorings are now generally at least £4,000 plus.

And long term moorings in rural Hertfordshire have been known to fetch over £5K.

It is impossible to give an accurate figure with so many variables.  For me it's never less than £5K and sometimes as much as £12K per annum. Over the past 30 years boating has cost me at least £100K .  (Admittedly that was for a josher pair, but that figure excludes maintenance and major repairs)  Just think I could have had a nice little nest egg.  I don't regret a penny of it, though :) 

• Greenie 2

I speak as a non-owner (yet).

If you look at managed boat share sites, often they'll have a detailed breakdown of annual running costs for their boats.  You can knock off their management fee and you're left with the cost of running a boat that's in the water, being used pretty solidly, for 48 weeks a year.  If you're only going to do 4 weeks a year you can work out which of the costs are pro-rata and which not.

In "The Narrowboat Guide" by Tony Jones (a very readable guide), in 2016, he wrote that a survey of 13 respondents with different profiles came out at an average of £6,826.

Were I buying a whole boat I'd put £8K a year aside and hope that we'd build up a surplus over time.

3 hours ago, Onionman said:

If you look at managed boat share sites, often they'll have a detailed breakdown of annual running costs for their boats.  You can knock off their management fee and you're left with the cost of running a boat that's in the water, being used pretty solidly, for 48 weeks a year.  If you're only going to do 4 weeks a year you can work out which of the costs are pro-rata and which not.

What a good idea! 

3 hours ago, Onionman said:

In "The Narrowboat Guide" by Tony Jones (a very readable guide), in 2016, he wrote that a survey of 13 respondents with different profiles came out at an average of £6,826.

Tony is an occasional poster here and guess where he found most (if not all) of those respondents.... :)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What a good idea! 

Tony is an occasional poster here and guess where he found most (if not all) of those respondents.... :)

I do have them occasionally.

I'd say Tony's book is the best of the introductory books I've read; genuinely enjoyable just as a read in itself.

19 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Over the past 30 years boating has cost me at least £100K .............................................. I don't regret a penny of it, though :) 

Probably not wise to work out cost of anything over 30 years.

I don't regret it either.  Buying a boat (and then changing it for  a bigger boat)  are the best value for money  things the chief officer and I  have done. Boating has been key factor in helping preserve our well-being over the last 10 years and  provides  ongoing therapy.

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I must say that I am surprised at some of the figures some people are suggesting. We thought our boat was quite high maintenance but seemingly not when compared with some of these figures!

Yours is not a 60ft steel narrow boat. Our sailing boat costs less than 500 quid a year to keep,and we could probably do it a lot cheaper.Granted ,its not kept in a marina and doesn't guzzle diesel.

20 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Yours is not a 60ft steel narrow boat. Our sailing boat costs less than 500 quid a year to keep,and we could probably do it a lot cheaper.Granted ,its not kept in a marina and doesn't guzzle diesel.

Ours is kept in a fully serviced marina and comes out of the water for annual maintenance every year.

Granted we do all of our own servicing which keeps costs down a bit. But Volvo Penta service parts are extortionate prices just to buy the bits.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

I must say that I am surprised at some of the figures some people are suggesting. We thought our boat was quite high maintenance but seemingly not when compared with some of these figures!

Expenditure on a steel boat is very lumpy.

Since we bought our boat in 2014, annual expenditure has been around £3-4k (I have an end of garden mooring so much reduced mooring costs compared to local marinas), however next year will involve re-blacking with 2 pack, a professional cabin repaint with signwriting, a replacement prop (larger diameter and higher pitch) plus other small jobs. I don't expect to get much change out of £13k ?

18 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Expenditure on a steel boat is very lumpy.

Since we bought our boat in 2014, annual expenditure has been around £3-4k (I have an end of garden mooring so much reduced mooring costs compared to local marinas), however next year will involve re-blacking with 2 pack, a professional cabin repaint with signwriting, a replacement prop (larger diameter and higher pitch) plus other small jobs. I don't expect to get much change out of £13k ?

But if money is tight for the op, they could black the hull with conventional stuff (incl dry dock £800 or less), self cabin repaint using Dulux (£300), signwrite using professional self adhesive vinyl (£150) or hand paint yourself, and don’t change the prop.  I am not saying that what you are doing is wrong or wasteful, but it is not essential.  Though what you are doing will make for an excellent boat.  No point sitting on a big pile of money, spend it on what you enjoy.

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

But if money is tight for the op, they could black the hull with conventional stuff (incl dry dock £800 or less), self cabin repaint using Dulux (£300), signwrite using professional self adhesive vinyl (£150) or hand paint yourself, and don’t change the prop.  I am not saying that what you are doing is wrong or wasteful, but it is not essential.  Though what you are doing will make for an excellent boat.  No point sitting on a big pile of money, spend it on what you enjoy.

None of which affects the annual average costs for the whole lot of us, which were what the OP asked for!

15 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Indeed, I was mearly pointing out that expenditure is lumpy.

Even if you are on a tight budget, the expenditure can be extremely variable, particularly if hull or engine repairs are suddenly found to be required.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung