Boatbuilders - Snog, Marry, Avoid

Martin_B

Featured Posts

Well to be honest I'm not interested in the 'avoid' class as I'm not a fan of trial by media without to right to reply but I am interested in the more positive opinions but specifically I'm looking for a builder for a sailaway lined with additions, one where the first fit electrics are completed and with a fitted bathroom.  I've seen a few that look very positive on paper and positive from comments I've seen elsewhere, namely Lymm Marina and Orchard Marina in the Cheshire area - but a sample of two is a bit small for my liking so I'm here asking for your positive opinions.

Many thanks

Martin

Not sure how sensible it is to get a sailaway builder to do the domestic electrics. They stand a good chance of being run behind fixed panels. OK if its done in a way that allows you fairly easy access to as much as possible because I am certain you will want to add and alter cable runs.

I don't think those you list are bat builders as such, just fitters out of bought in shells made by someone else.

Talk to Colecraft (south Midlands)  who do build shells and have done for many years.

Thanks Richard - the Lymm fit out would be on a Mike Christian semi-trad josher shell that I believe is built by Tyler Wilson in Sheffield and I had heard very positive things about their work - I'd heard of Colecraft but perhaps mistakenly believed them to be at the expensive end of the market but XR&D is a new one on me so thanks for the suggestion.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Snog, marry, avoid"? Does anyone understand what this means?

Google really is your friend :

Snog Marry Avoid? is a British reality television show broadcast on BBC Three, produced by Remarkable Television. The first four series were presented by Atomic Kitten member Jenny Frost, with Ellie Taylor presenting from the fifth series onwards. The show focused mainly on transforming 'fakery obsessed' or 'slap addicts' in Britain into 'natural beauties' by stripping them of their skimpy clothes and layers of make-up and giving them a 'makeunder' instead of a makeover with the help of POD – the Personal Overhaul Device. POD's commentary is created by comedian Doug Faulkner and is voiced by the series 1-3 producer.

The show ended after its sixth series which was broadcast in 2013.

Within the world of the programme, POD is a computer that "only understands natural beauty". It conducts a public analysis to ask the public whether they would snog (kiss), marry or avoid the participant, as well as another random question which offers those questioned another chance to praise or criticise. After the questions it allows the person to choose their style based on a celebrity and dresses them accordingly. It sometimes orders the person to do a 'deep cleanse' where they have to take off all of their make-up. After the transformation POD will ask the public what they think of the person. The person is then re-introduced to their partner or relative outside the TV studio and their reaction is recorded, generally a positive one towards the more natural look.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, Martin_B said:

Hi Athy - perhaps better put as 'the good, the bad and the ugly ' or then again perhaps not.  Simply modern parlance for a preference rating made famous, or perhaps infamous, by an obscure TV programme.

Regards

Martin

Obscure parlance, I think. I have never heard of the programme or the expression, and I take a reasonable interest in the English language.

I see that the programme ended five years ago, which is perhaps just as well.

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not sure how sensible it is to get a sailaway builder to do the domestic electrics. They stand a good chance of being run behind fixed panels. OK if its done in a way that allows you fairly easy access to as much as possible because I am certain you will want to add and alter cable runs.

I think it depends on how much you ask to be done. We had the lightning runs and the 240v circuits done but we clearly specified the locations and the runs. In 13 years the modifications I’ve made have all been carried out with minimal grief . 

48 minutes ago, Athy said:

Obscure parlance, I think. I have never heard of the programme or the expression, and I take a reasonable interest in the English language.

I see that the programme ended five years ago, which is perhaps just as well.

Maybe obscure to the average forum member on here - it's not about English language but popular culture and it's a variation on a similar but cruder three word expression (which I presume you've not heard either). I'm probably right in the forum demographic, but have lots of much younger friends - I doubt either expression is at all obscure to them. Not everything you haven't heard of is obscure.

Edited by aracer

7 hours ago, steve hayes said:

I think it depends on how much you ask to be done. We had the lightning runs and the 240v circuits done but we clearly specified the locations and the runs. In 13 years the modifications I’ve made have all been carried out with minimal grief . 

Same with my boat. The locations of light fittings, switches, mains and 12V power outlets were all given on drawings to the builder. Height as well as horizontal position. Look for the use of conduits at say gunwale height to which extra wires can be added if required. Mains wiring must run seperately, so mains wiring may not be so readily accessible. Ceiling lights are usually much harder to alter with behind the panel wiring. Think about access to plumbing runs for inspection and alteration. Are you asking them to do gas installation for you? Not mentioned, but the same considerations apply.

My boat was built to a similar stage, but no plumbing, just electrics by Piper. Not sure if they are still making narrowboats. Seem to concentrate on Dutch Barge style wide beams these days.

Jen

8 hours ago, aracer said:

Not everything you haven't heard of is obscure.

It is until you've heard it - in the same way that, in my favourite sphere of collecting, once you own a copy of a particular rare record it ceases to be rare.

8 hours ago, Martin_B said:

I'm sure many would agree but now that the vagueness of the original question has been clarified could I ask if you have any relevant thoughts ? 

Of course you could.

I suggest that you have a look at Collingwood Boats' web site. They offer various stages of completion, and give exact details of what's included in each stage. They have been building boats for a VERY long time, formerly under the name Liverpool Boats.  They're in the "affordable" bracket.. For a mid-range boast I 'd  t that you speak to ColeCraft who have probably been building boats for even longer, and who are generally viewed as reliable.

I would add that, although we've had two new boats built, both were fully fitted (first one, Liverpool shell, Devizes fit-out, second one, Mel Davis shell, MG Boatfitters fit-out) so I have no direct experience of sailaways. Of those four companies mentioned, only Mel and Liverpool (see above) are still trading.

Edited by Athy

57 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Same with my boat. The locations of light fittings, switches, mains and 12V power outlets were all given on drawings to the builder. Height as well as horizontal position. Look for the use of conduits at say gunwale height to which extra wires can be added if required. Mains wiring must run seperately, so mains wiring may not be so readily accessible. Ceiling lights are usually much harder to alter with behind the panel wiring. Think about access to plumbing runs for inspection and alteration. Are you asking them to do gas installation for you? Not mentioned, but the same considerations apply.

My boat was built to a similar stage, but no plumbing, just electrics by Piper. Not sure if they are still making narrowboats. Seem to concentrate on Dutch Barge style wide beams these days.

Jen

Thanks Steve and Jen - my intention was to ask for mains to run down the gunwales with tails breaking out at specified locations and for  12V lighting to run essentially down the centre of the ceiling, apart from in the bathroom, so in most of the boat I would conceal the lighting behind a centre panel (looks fine in my head anyway).  As for gas then I want a reverse layout with gas in a stern locker so runs into the galley should be accessible and kept to a minimum.  The Lymm install comes with the major plumbing essentials i.e. s/s tank, pump, calorifier and complete bathroom so I'm assuming (yet to be proved) that I can tee off this install for the galley.

Cheers

Martin

19 minutes ago, mark99 said:

It really depends upon if you want to spend a lot on a very classy hull or just go inexpensive.

Hi Mark - being greedy then I want both but as this is the real world then sadly you're right. I could go to Norton Canes and have something special built but yes I would be sitting inside on a deckchair leaning over a camping stove.  I've been looking at used boats for a while and started to realise that I didn't want to pay £40k plus for a vessel that had been sitting in the water for the best part of 20 years. I can't afford a full fit out and I haven't got the time to complete a full basic sailaway so the option of having a reputedly reasonable shell fitted out to a point where I could complete the install within a reasonable time was what attracted me to the sailaway lined with additions option.

Cheers

Martin

3 hours ago, Martin_B said:

I've been looking at used boats for a while and started to realise that I didn't want to pay £40k plus for a vessel that had been sitting in the water for the best part of 20 years.

Why on earth not? This will buy you an excellent boat by a good builder then you can just turn the key and go. A boat perfectly capable of outliving you if looked after properly. 

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why on earth not? This will buy you an excellent boat by a good builder then you can just turn the key and go. A boat perfectly capable of outliving you if looked after properly. 

I am in his corner Mike, every boat I have bought and then altered! so to specify where I want stuff would be nice and make a change. The other plus is TylerWilson now two pack there boats so rust free from the off isnt a bad thing

55 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I am in his corner Mike, every boat I have bought and then altered! so to specify where I want stuff would be nice and make a change. The other plus is TylerWilson now two pack there boats so rust free from the off isnt a bad thing

I doubt he will end up with a finished Tyler Wilson sailaway for his apparent budget of £40k. I'd have thought it would even be a struggle with a bargain basement Collingwood.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I doubt he will end up with a finished Tyler Wilson sailaway for his apparent budget of £40k. I'd have thought it would even be a struggle with a bargain basement Collingwood.

He didnt say his budget was £40k he said he didnt want to spend that on a twenty year old boat. Far better to buy a lined sailaway with bathroom etc and then I would suppose he could fit it out overa couple of years whilst using it?