GPS on a smartphone?

jenevers

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I used to have Waze, deleted it because Google Maps own navigation is simpler and more powerful. 

Yes, it was interesting how much Waze technology Google ported into Google Maps once they’d bought it. 

My point about mileposts was to illustrate how accurate your speed reckoning needs to be (or does not need to be). If we are talking about duration of travel, it's impossible to be very accurate where canals are concerned as there are too many variables: water depth, locks for/against, "movable structures", and other boats getting in the way.

If you know you are going to do five locks or three miles in an hour (probably typical for a narrow canal) then no greater accuracy is justifiable, given the margin of uncertainty.

11 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Why would anyone buy a Tom Tom now, when Waze etc are free?

Am I missing something?

Depends if you don't mind using your data allowance, plus lots of folk still do not have smartphones. Though yes i too think they are on borrowed time as also lots of cars have sat nav built in too.

The ford 'sync' system in our new car is brilliant so I flogged my Garmin on eBay.

3 hours ago, jenevers said:

So google maps can do anything Waze can do?

I like the way Waze tells me that there’s a pothole ahead?

Nope.  It borrows from Waze reports in real time though I believe.