GPS on a smartphone?

jenevers

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Do they talk to you?

Yes, they can also  connect via Bluetooth to your car if it has it, and if it does it can save the position of the car just in case your forgetful :)

Edited by Robbo

TomTom is a free download and gives you 50 free miles per day iirc, so you can try it out pretty thoroughly for nothing.  The full app cost a tenner when I upgraded to it for a trip to the Pacific North West where it was awesome for about a month of all kinds of demands, from cities to the proper bundu. I think it's still the one to beat and I've used a few over the years, originally on pdas and latterly phones as well as OEM car and motorcycle ones.  That said, in (or on) my own vehicles I use the OEM packages although TomTom free is still installed on my phone ready to go for trips where hire vehicles might not have nav, but the ones I've used recently all have.  Waze is good where they are lots of users though to be fair, but it's a different concept. 

34 minutes ago, David Mack said:

What's the best speedometer app for use at canal speeds? I looked at a couple of walking apps but they seemed to be more focussed on meeting fitness goals than telling me how slow the boat is travelling.

Not really tried it myself but have you tried Motion X GPS?

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

What's the best speedometer app for use at canal speeds? I looked at a couple of walking apps but they seemed to be more focussed on meeting fitness goals than telling me how slow the boat is travelling.

I tried a few and found the one called “speedometer view” works well on iPhone.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I find the free Ullysse app set to slow speed mode works well. However if you want to keep maps of your routes then you will need to upgrade to the paid for app.

Edited by cuthound
Missing worm

It depends what you want it to do - if it is simply to measure the speed of the boat then any of the apps are fine.

If you want to walk in the 'Highlands' and your life depends on it, get a proper OS based GPS system.

Do not rely on your phone - GPS mapping can be power hungry and when all else fails and you try to call for help, and the phone battery is flat …………………….

Two people who got lost high in the Cairngorms in mist and winds gusting to 100mph tried to navigate using an app on a mobile phone, a rescuer has said.

Members of Cairngorm, Braemar and Aberdeen mountain rescue teams spent more than six hours searching for the walkers on Tuesday night.

Cairngorm's leader Willie Anderson said it was the third recent rescue of walkers lacking a map and compass.

Braemar MRT found the lost walkers close to Linn of Dee in Aberdeenshire.

The two people had set off from the CairnGorm Mountain ski area near Aviemore hoping to reach Ben Macdui, Britain's second highest mountain, but turned around after encountering mist.

They ended up 17 miles (27km) the wrong direction from where they had parked a car at the ski centre.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-45963727

Edited by Alan de Enfield