Options for a thin hull on a dutch barge

lorinda

Featured Posts

Overplate

Over there cheaper docks ,better to accomodate.

get it done before bringing to uk. 

Insurance for trip needed. Much greater strains at sea than inland, one of our friends took a chance , brought a boat over. In heavy seas he dis covered the scupper tubes were rotted through. Fortunately he had 2 petrol pumps but he nearly lost the boat. Never got it fixed , it needed a ship dock and thats £££!! Flogged it on.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Only for people with far better eyesight than I have, unfortunately!

The bottom has been pretty much over plated, the grey areas and the parts with horizontal lines. 

Then, using google translate it says skin which I am thinking is hull is 3mm

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Overplate

Over there cheaper docks ,better to accomodate.

get it done before bringing to uk. 

Insurance for trip needed. Much greater strains at sea than inland, one of our friends took a chance , brought a boat over. In heavy seas he dis covered the scupper tubes were rotted through. Fortunately he had 2 petrol pumps but he nearly lost the boat. Never got it fixed , it needed a ship dock and thats £££!! Flogged it on.

Thats what I have looked into, but with this much work if i wanted to sell it in the years to come, with this extensive over plating would it scare people  off?  

I Its quite a big boat 19metres x 3.7  Quite likely to have been 6 mm ish when built. Thing is though that it only takes a couple of pits or a rivet to fail and its a problem. There is some overplating already. If I was looking at this boat I would be concerned. localised thin areas overplated are quite common but this has a big area already done and some more to do , I would worry that the next step for this boat could be cutting out areas and putting in new plates.  However, someone will buy it and renovate it. Dutch yards have the skills but it obviously gets dear and you are still faced with a project boat.  I would first speak to your surveyor (or is Goliath the broker as well?)  then do nothing for a week or two and see how you feel. Personally I think this might be one for the experts. Good Luck though, there are lots of nice boats out there.

How long do you need this boat to last? It appears to have taken 90 years to reduce from 5mm down to 3mm, so it probably has at least another 90 years left to go before it sinks...

Just a thought. People here really do get hung up on hull thickness.

From experience living on a thin boat is always a little stressful. On a narrowboat its not so bad if two pits hold hands you can shove a bolt in, done it in my 20s and 30s many times, as well as concrete , milliput and on one day my socks covered in grease( through a cracked bottom board). But that was while saving for the inevitable.

3 minutes ago, lorinda said:

Thanks @Bee and @Mike the Boilerman both good points. It has this beautiful oval shaped wheel house with stunning windows which has given me a strong desire for her but your probably right, she might just brings years of heartache and there are plenty of great little (big) boats out there.

Strikes me as the type of boat that will soldier on for a random amount of time, probably a really long time, with no attention at all. Then unexpectedly sink after 20 or 40 years. At which point you'll have a had a beautiful boat for probably not a great deal of money for 20 or 40 years. 

If however you feel driven to have it put it back into 'as new' condition before venturing out on it, expect approaching a six figure bill. 

OK, I've just had a look at the boat on the Goliath site. Its nice, a good project, but would I recommend it to a friend? probably not unless they were experienced and had done a couple of big projects including welding and had unusual reserves of grim and dour determination.  Personally I would keep looking.

My barge is 100 years old and has been almost completely overplated and as long as it is done well , as it should be in the Nederlands or Belgium it will last for years. My boat was originally 5.5 mm and in some places is still over 4. 

Insurers want 4mm minimum usually.

in the Nederlands there is usually a contract between seller and buyer which gives you the option of rejecting the boat because of the poor survey or getting the owner to fix it or accept a lower price for you to fix it.

it a nice size and doesn’t involve the community certificate as it’s under 20m.