Living on a boat

Stuarth

Featured Posts

Morning all. Probley on the wrong bit of the forum but this is my first post!

I'm looking at moving onto a canal boat full time in the future. I don't know anything about it! Is it possible to have a land line at all connected to the boat?

Any advise would help! ?

2 minutes ago, Stuarth said:

That was quick guys!

What about electric hook up's? Take it there'll be dotted around marinas?

Central heating I take it all canal boats have them fitted?

You need to do a lot more research before you go looking to buy a boat

Welcome to the site and I hope

you find it useful. MayI suggest that you use the search option on this forum which may help to answer many

of your questions. From what you have said so far it may be beneficial to hire a boat for a few days to see if you would like a boating life, or are you mainly looking for a waterborne flat? If this is the case, don’t necessarily believe all you read in the press about boating being the answer. 

Good of luck in your search.

Howard

Edited by howardang

Welcome to CWDF, Stuarth!

In answer to your heating question, most modern boats will have some form of central heating - often diesel-fired. Older ones may have a solid fuel stove only. You may find it an advantage to look for a boat which has both, so that if one form of heating fails, you've got the other one as back-up (imagine the C.H. conking out in January).

1 hour ago, Stuarth said:

cheers guys

Shore electricity supplies and central heating are common, telephone landlines are a rarity. Best thing to do now is hire a boat and experience what they're like and this is the best time of year to do so because: 1. It's cheaper and 2. If you buy a boat, this time of year  more representative of how life aboard is. After you've done that, you'll have lots of answers to questions which you wouldn't otherwise have thought of and lots of questions which you wouldn't otherwise have thought of.  You'll also know a few things you don't want in your boat and a few things you must have, and your questions will be much more meaningfully so they'll get you better answers too.  It's not the only way (some folk just jump and hope - some win some lose), but it's probably the best. :)

• Greenie 2