Moorings That Do Not Require The Boat To Be Licenced

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Over many years a recurring subject is the debate on the requirement to have your boat licenced whilst in a 'Private' marina.

The 'NAA' (National Access Agreement) which forms the contract between C&RT and the marina owner stipulates that any boats in the marina must be licenced - this is a commercial contract and nothing to do with any 'legal requirement' under the various waterways acts.

It is simply to help C&RT ensure a minimum of un-licenced boats 'sneak-out' cruise and return without buying a licence.

Marinas that pre-date the NAA are unlikely to have the 'must be licenced' clause in their T&Cs.

Attached is the Summary of the NAA :

Edited by Magpie Patrick – MP has included those suggestions made but has not made any attempt to verify them!

So, to start the List of marinas where a licence is NOT required

Ashwood (Links to Staffs & Worcester)

Barry Hokins (Atherstone)

Belle Isle marina (River Witham)

Colwick Marina (River Trent)

Crockers (Nr Shardlow)

Crooke (Wigan)

Farndon Marina (River Trent)

Hallingbury Marina, River Stort

Harefield Marina (GU)

Hawne Basin

Kayes arm at Stockton

Naburn Marina (York)

Newark Marina (River Trent)

Preston Marina (River Ribble_

Shardlow Marina (River Trent)

Shobnall Marina (T&M)

Stafford Boat Club

Stortford Boats, back water.

Whilton Marina (GU Daventry)

In a slightly different category - Preston Marina (River Ribble), this is really aimed at coastal boats and has direct access to the sea without using CRT waters, but one can get to the Lancaster and the Leeds and Liverpool without needing another licence

Add the ones YOU know about.

NAA Agreement Summary.pdf

Edited by magpie patrick
To update information at the request of the OP
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

When we moored at Whilton Marina we did not need a licence as long as we did not take the boat outside the marina. But that was 20 years ago and I don't know if the situation has changed.

Certainly a couple or three years ago it was still the case (no licence required)

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Add Farndon to your list.

Yes - had forgotten them.

I guess I'm going to fall foul of the edit cut-off time soon and can no longer add to the list.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Certainly a couple or three years ago it was still the case (no licence required)

I guess I'm going to fall foul of the edit cut-off time soon and can no longer add to the list.

You can't,  I can, but as that's not strictly within the remit of a mod (No rules have been broken) I think it best if you formally ask me to do it - I would be happy to agree.

Before anyone else asks, my agreement would be entirely at my discretion and does not tie me or any other mod to accept other requests. 

Edited by magpie patrick
Double post

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

You can't,  I can, but as that's not strictly within the remit of a mod (No rules have been broken) I think it best if you formally ask me to do it - I would be happy to agree.

Before anyone else asks, my agreement would be entirely at my discretion and does not tie me or any other mod to accept other requests. 

:D

Or he could include the additions in separate, subsequent posts.

5 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I would be very grateful if you could use your 'powers' to monitor replies and any that are on topic, and can be added to the list, are added.

Maybe even insert them in alphabetical order (if that's not asking too much)

I think having a single list rather that 20, 30, 50 ???? posts in a thread is much easier to read and find what you want.

Many thanks.

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which again raises the popular subject of why different posters have different edit cut-off times. My own posts remain editable for over 24hrs, yet some posters complain of theirs being less than an hour. Why is this? 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which again raises the popular subject of why different posters have different edit cut-off times. My own posts remain editable for over 24hrs, yet some posters complain of theirs being less than an hour. Why is this? 

Dunno.

But my 'edible' time has now elapsed.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Dunno.

But my 'edible' time has now elapsed.

Ok so looks like yours is one hour. Mine is in excess of 24hrs. I'll have a trawl back and see if I can see how long it really is. 

EDIT TO ADD:

Ok, the oldest post of mine I can find that remains editable now was made on Thursday at 17.58. That is almost 36 hours. My preceding post at 9.55am on Thursday is not editable, so my guess is my edit limit is 48 hours. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Slightly off topic, but this was one of the subjects of petitions and consideration by the recent House of Lords Opposed Bill Committee on the Middle Level Bill.  The ML Commissioners had sought to extend the full requirements of registration (including full fees) to all boats within adjacent waters including marinas.  They were seeking to replicate the position on EA Thames (where the High Court (oddly!) found that private marinas to which the public had access were relevant 'adjacent waters') and EA Anglian (although the cuts, inlets and creeks definition of the legislation there has yet to be fully tested).

The Lords amended the Middle Level Bill so that boats in marinas used primarily for residential purposes and that do not use the navigation are subject to registration but pay only the administrative fee of registering, not the full licence fee.

This seems a very sensible and fair compromise to me. Boats in marinas are subject to the safety and insurance requirements of registration but without the burden of annual charges for navigation infrastructure which they do not use.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Preston Marina (River Ribble)

I don't doubt that it does not have an NAA, but isn't that because it is not in a CRT waterway?  I was recently thinking about this as we are planning to do the Robble Link next year and whilst the link is CRT,  I was wondering if there was a navigation authority for the rest of the river up to Preston docks (which we would like to visit) or is it is just "the sea".

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don't doubt that it does not have an NAA, but isn't that because it is not in a CRT waterway?  I was recently thinking about this as we are planning to do the Robble Link next year and whilst the link is CRT,  I was wondering if there was a navigation authority for the rest of the river up to Preston docks (which we would like to visit) or is it is just "the sea".

You would probably find who is responsible for navigation in the Preston Docks Closure Act of 1981, as I would expect the port, and thus Preston Council, to have been the responsible agency from the opening of the docks up until then. They certainly undertook much river improvement work to create a deep navigable channel.

39 minutes ago, Pluto said:

You would probably find who is responsible for navigation in the Preston Docks Closure Act of 1981, as I would expect the port, and thus Preston Council, to have been the responsible agency from the opening of the docks up until then. They certainly undertook much river improvement work to create a deep navigable channel.

The council is the obvious one, unless someone is going to say the whole is CRT, in which case the lack of NNA is relevant, but if not I don’t think it is relevant.

I think the answer is here, from the CRT Ribble Link guide

Whilst in the Link customers are required to comply with Canal and River Trust terms and conditions of
passage and abide by the regulations and byelaws. The remainder of the Savick Brook, the River Ribble and the River Douglas are public rights of navigation.

So I take it to mean there is no navigation authority.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not necessarily - there are PRN's on most Rivers which is why you don't need a C&RT licence, (for example, on the River Trent).

All that is needed (by law) is an 'annual registration certificate'.

I had to think a moment to understand  PRN= Public Right of Navigation.

So the  annual registration certificate  (otherwise known as a river license) is the  scap of paper  we have to pay C&RT for. They got the wording of the certificate  wrong but they have the legal right to charge us. So you do need a C&RT license on the R Trent (above Gainsborough).

On the R Trent below Gainsborough there are, as far as I know ,  no license or registration certificate required . I believe the same law that says C&RT (or whatever they care to call themselves)  may charge us  it defines the limit of C&RT's authority to charge for navigation. 

Is this a healthy thread?  I wonder if it might swell the waiting lists at said moorings with a whole bunch of boats that will never move, thus turning them I to static parks for those uninterested in boating and merely wishing to avoid a licence fee. Only a thought... :)