Ribbon - Lace Plates

Tonka

Featured Posts

Hi there, I / we have quite a few lace plates which we think we would like to value and then possibly sell. Where would be the best place to find a value for the plates and then where would be the best place to advertise the plates. Hoping the forum can Help. Also not sure which part of the forum to put this request. Moderators please feel free to move to the correct place. Thank you

These plates are nowhere near as popular as they used to be. When I worked on the boats in the late 1970's / early 1980's they could mainly be bought from Antique establishments and I recall buying several from Birmingham Antiques Market for in excess of £20 each, Ebay shows a very different position now with them selling for a few quid each. Much will depend on whether the plates are old or modern, and then you need to find somebody who likes / wants them. Unless they are something special I would be reluctant to pay more than a pound each as it will cost more in postage or collection costs than they are worth. I have recently acquired about thirty plates (in two batches) for nothing :captain: 

Lockside Antiques are selling ribbon plates ranging from circa £12 to ones £28 plus!

http://www.lockside-antiques.co.uk/Ribbon_Plates.html

The last time I looked at the shop at Braunston Lock the asking price was £18 - £20ish.

Both of the above I think are ambitious in today's market.

Examples from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xribbon+plates.TRS0&_nkw=ribbon+plates&_sacat=0

I have some from "my" narrowboat captains sister but to me they are priceless because of the connection.

Edited by Ray T

As people have already said, Lace Edge plates are no longer sought after. I sold most of my old plates to various people at the Braunston Historic Boat show earlier this year, Most of them were the German high quality traditional type with pictures of mainly seaside resorts with "A pesent from...." in gold writing on them. They sold for something like £3 or £4 each, with a discount for quantities.

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Try Michal Porter either Back Cabin antiques or at Jordans in Hemel Hempsted. 01442 263451   As said above I believe the market is rather depressed at the mo.

N

I did not realise Michael Porter was still trading

He has a whole antiques centre of his own!   Though not entirely stocked with his stuff.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

As people have already said, Lace Edge plates are no longer sought after. I sold most of my old plates to various people at the Braunston Historic Boat show earlier this year, Most of them were the German high quality traditional type with pictures of mainly seaside resorts with "A pesent from...." in gold writing on them. They sold for something like £3 or £4 each, with a discount for quantities.

I think the market for imitation trad back cabins in clonecraft has gone quiet and with it went much of the market for cabin accoutrements.  Handy though if you have a cabin and nothing to decorate it yet.

N

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

Hi there, I / we have quite a few lace plates which we think we would like to value and then possibly sell. Where would be the best place to find a value for the plates and then where would be the best place to advertise the plates. Hoping the forum can Help. Also not sure which part of the forum to put this request. Moderators please feel free to move to the correct place. Thank you

So how many do you have, and are they old or modern (photo's) :captain:

2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

So how many do you have, and are they old or modern (photo's) :captain:

Hi there Pete we are in the process of cataloguing and photographing

38 minutes ago, BEngo said:

He has a whole antiques centre of his own!   Though not entirely stocked with his stuff.

I think the market for imitation trad back cabins in clonecraft has gone quiet and with it went much of the market for cabin accoutrements.  Handy though if you have a cabin and nothing to decorate it yet.

N

We have a back cabin but cant stand the constant chinkle

20 hours ago, Tonka said:

We have a back cabin but cant stand the constant chinkle

When they are hung they should overlap but not touch, and when hung correctly there is no 'chinkle' even when the boat is miss-handled :captain:

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

We are up to 168 and no plates newer then 1984 re-opening of Blisworth

You have quite a few then, but when I say old I mean antique(ish) :captain:

10 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

When they are hung they should overlap but not touch, and when hung correctly there is no 'chinkle' even when the boat is miss-handled :captain:

You have quite a few then, but when I say old I mean antique(ish) :captain:

A fair few are Schuman

14 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Mr Bray called them shilling plates because that’s apparently what they cost in Woolworths. Seems they are not worth much more now

I'm not surprised, have you tried to eat a stew out of one. :)

I visited a friend recently whose late husband was well respected in the 'historic' narrow boat world, although she knows little of boating and boating ways. Imagine my surprise when lunchtime sandwiches were served on lace plates - but at least there were no ribbons in them :captain:

edit = after lunch I did explain how these plates were used, and 'hanging up' plates is a term I am familiar with and is most appropriate in relation to canal boats.

Edited by pete harrison