Anyone on the Llangollen

jocave

Featured Posts

Im off , I've never met so many miserable, moaning people ever, its my local canal but im relocating back to the Lancaster, the hire boaters are ace , the liveaboards are something else, not a day went by without somebody moaning about how fast I was travelling (im in no rush I went everywhere at tickover) mooring too close, music too loud (I only play music on my phone) lights too bright, travelling at night , night light keeping you awake (wtf it's a 5 w blue light) , have people got nothing better to do than moan about everything , I'm bored with it , glad I'm away from there...

• Haha 2

We’ve been on the Llangollen for the last fortnight. We have found everyone really friendly, no one moaned about us going too fast, or anything else. We’ve chatted with loads of great people. We’ve listened to a fantastic Greek guy playing classical guitar in Trevor basin and enjoyed 3 days on the Monty. 

Maybe be you’ve been unlucky. Do you drop to tickover far enough away from moored boats?

1 hour ago, MHS said:

We’ve been on the Llangollen for the last fortnight. We have found everyone really friendly, no one moaned about us going too fast, or anything else. We’ve chatted with loads of great people. We’ve listened to a fantastic Greek guy playing classical guitar in Trevor basin and enjoyed 3 days on the Monty. 

Maybe be you’ve been unlucky. Do you drop to tickover far enough away from moored boats?

I used to moor online on the Llan, lovely canal and I loved being there but it is a tad busy, my spot was an easy days boating from 3 hire bases, 2 trip boats and 5 day boats.

I admit that by the end of summer nerves had become somewhat stretched and most of us welcomed the winter 

:)

Its on our never again list - its just too popular and IMHO not really worth it but on the plus side it keeps a lot of boaters off the system.

Don't forget the breach which has probably made it even more crowded this year with people who are grumpy they cant do the ring???

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Its on our never again list - its just too popular and IMHO not really worth it but on the plus side it keeps a lot of boaters off the system.

Don't forget the breach which has probably made it even more crowded this year with people who are grumpy they cant do the ring???

Yes, agreed. There are far nicer locals out there. We avoid it like the plague.

• Happy 1

The last time I went (and the only time I have been this century!) was Autumn half term and I was staggered by how busy it was .... lots of nice people though ... just a lot of them!

I was up there mid September (this year) I didn't feel it was too bad apart from the clown from a certain trust/charity who passed us with a breaking wake and the llangollen trip boat who felt he didn't have to check if there were any boats in the narrows.

I still like it. I don't really find it a lot busier than other bits but then I'm moving and not trying to live on it. I do get paranoid about the narrow bits as I singlehand so can't check ahead but tend to do them at 5am to minimise the risk. 

Never found it any less friendly or shoutier than anywhere else either. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall

9 hours ago, Jerra said:

I was up there mid September (this year) I didn't feel it was too bad apart from the clown from a certain trust/charity who passed us with a breaking wake and the llangollen trip boat who felt he didn't have to check if there were any boats in the narrows.

He never does, 

I know a really friendly chap and everywhere he goes he seems to find friendly folk. I know another bloke who's a bit confrontational and everywhere he goes he seems to find confrontational folk. I wonder what they would find if they travelled together? ;)

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Jerra said:

We went in September last year - was a little busy but quite enjoyable. No problems mooring where we wanted to and most people were friendly.

14 hours ago, StephenA said:

We went in September last year - was a little busy but quite enjoyable. No problems mooring where we wanted to and most people were friendly.

I agree apart from the two cases I mentioned it was exactly as you say busy but no problems mooring and as usual (well usual in my experience) on the canals everybody friendly.

Edited by Jerra
Test edit 21 hrs later