Canal Etiquette

Flibbertigibbet

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Agreed, can't believe your boat displaces enough water to cause too much of a problem 

Phil 

These are  interesting and different topics. I wonder why no-one has raised the issues before - especially the one about speeding!?

Howard

Edited by howardang

27 minutes ago, howardang said:

These are  interesting and different topics. I wonder why no-one has raised the issues before - especially the one about speeding!?

Howard

I think it is how a forum stays alive, otherwise 90% of new posts would be answered with i refer you to post "x" 

1 hour ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Agreed, can't believe your boat displaces enough water to cause too much of a problem 

Phil 

You'd be surprised. Passing canoes rock our boat more than passing narrowboats do.

its quite funny. I was just opening this thread when I hear a boat approaching way back engine at about eighty thousand revs. He has just steamed past me and knocked it back to tickover as he cleared me for the narrows 100 yards ahead ................plonker. I never go out shouting and screaming I just grin smugly knowing that I always pass at tickover as my manners dictate it wether a boat is tied up on tight lines or slack.

38 minutes ago, Nut said:

this thread teaches me one thing moor correctly will be taking my helmsman course in 2019 hopefully I will get taught

Visit the Canal & River Trust website and download the free book The Boaters Handbook which will teach you nearly all you will be taught on the course, including how to moor.

Howard

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All you need to know (note the angles) :

Image result for spring lines on boats

Funny looking narrow boat. 

And where is this mythical pontoon in your diagram please? I never see them when out cruising the cut. I want to moor there!!

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And where is this mythical pontoon in your diagram please? I never see them when out cruising the cut. I want to moor there!!

……… that'll be Gunthorpe on the Trent, nice pub and restaurant nearby 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Funny looking narrow boat. 

Here's one, and on Wisbech cut so I would argue it does count ...

dscf6253.jpg

Just now, zenataomm said:

……… that'll be Gunthorpe on the Trent, nice pub and restaurant nearby 

How do you get off the pontoon to go to the pub? it appears to be completely surrounded with water...

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Grow up.

I'm 11 next birthday, I'll have you know.....

1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Here's one, and on Wisbech cut so I would argue it does count ...

dscf6253.jpg

Moat of the mooring opportunities around my way look like the opposite bank in your photo!

Which is why I find Alan's neat and geometric mooring diagrams so comical. 

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All you need to know (note the angles) :

Image result for spring lines on boats

The trouble with this diagram is that it is uncommon to find a suitably placed bollard or ring to attach your backsprings. Much better for novices is to show a narrow boat and the reality that the backsprings will be much shorter than yacht scenarios depict. I think this type of diagram, although correct for yachts in some seagoing marinas, can confuse beginners on the waterways. Much better, in my view, to use diagrams that are more representative of what a newcomer to the canals would face, hence the Boaters Handbook.

Howard

• Greenie 1