Fake news on NBW

dor

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, rowland al said:

When did you last do a proper cruse my friend? 

NOTHING TO DO WITH CRT AT ALL.....

although Daves other posts on the lovely Macclesfield and Peak Forest Canals for the last 18 months obviously don't concentrate on the lovely views and what a excellent base the area is for a variety of cruising options.:lol:

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, mayalld said:

My word, you do talk some utter piffle at times.

Let me try to explain this.

Narrowminded World is a blog. Tom Crossley likes to pretend that it is part of "the press", but it isn't. It is a personal blog with an strict editorial line ("CRT are crap" amongst others) that make the Daily Mail and Daily Mirror look like egregious fence-sitters. He likes to pretend that Victor Swift is a real person, rather than just being Tom, and he permits a small number of others to post to his blog, providing they toe the party line. He tried having a forum once, but people on there refused to join the anti-CRT groupthing, so he closed it down.

This site is a forum, where people are free to express opinions on CRT, both pro-CRT and anti-CRT. some people even manage to post a balance of opinions about things CRT have done well, and things that they have done badly.

The lack of an anti-CRT "editorial" stance (and I use the quotes, because it accords the blogger Tom Crossley too much kudos to call him the editor) doesn't make this a pro-CRT site.

Actually Dave, C&RT used to treat narrowboatworld as part of 'the waterways press' and invite it to its press events. The problem was that it wanted to control narrowboatworld by insisting that articles were submitted to it for 'correction' before publication - something Tom Crossley would never agree to. 

12 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

I estimate that 5.7 members that have contributed to this thread will not 'come out' and admit that the NBW thread  was not fake news.
I estimate that 6.2 members will pretend they have no idea what Roland Al is talking about.  

It wasn’t even news!

3 minutes ago, rowland al said:

As somebody who is in full time employment, I am limited in respect of the number of "proper cruises" I can take, indeed from your tone I must assume that whatever cruises I might do would be sneered at as "not proper cruises"

This year, quite apart from work, and now finding myself a single hander, most of my cruising was curtailed by stoppages, and I have criticised CRT for their actions or lack of actions that were a major factor in those stoppages.

I am actually more likely to criticise CRT than praise them, but don't let that get in the way of being labelled a CRT fan because I sometimes say when they have done right

6 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Actually Dave, C&RT used to treat narrowboatworld as part of 'the waterways press' and invite it to its press events. The problem was that it wanted to control narrowboatworld by insisting that articles were submitted to it for 'correction' before publication - something Tom Crossley would never agree to. 

My, my, he must have practically wet his pants at such an honour.

As for correction, it is actually very common in the REAL press to submit articles for factual correction. It doesn't give the consultee a veto, it just stops the journalist from looking a pratt

23 minutes ago, rowland al said:

When were you actually ever in the home counties?

Last time I saw your boat it was at Gargrave.

Edited by MJG

6 minutes ago, rowland al said:

Excellent answer,except, what has it got to do with you? 

OK, if graham isn't allowed to ask the question, then as the question about cruising was asked of me, can I ask that question?

What has when I last did a "proper" cruise got to do with anything?

1 minute ago, mayalld said:

OK, if graham isn't allowed to ask the question, then as the question about cruising was asked of me, can I ask that question?

It’s everything. It’s much more fun than talking crap on a internet forum in my opinion. 

Sorry have I missed a trick? Is this the virtual CanalWorld forum then?

USE IT OR LOSE IT.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Graham is recognised for his ability to give in depth and relevant input into debate on this forum...

Seems that way...

1 minute ago, rowland al said:

It’s everything. It’s much more fun than talking crap on a internet forum in my opinion. 

Well it is indeed much more fun that engaging in "debate" with you, but I would have to ask again "what of it?"

We were discussing whether this site has a pro or anti CRT stance and the stance of other sites. You then asked when I last did a proper cruise.

Was this just a random question that you asked out of the blue, or did you feel that my answer to it might inform the subject under discussion?

1 minute ago, mayalld said:

Well it is indeed much more fun that engaging in "debate" with you, but I would have to ask again "what of it?"

We were discussing whether this site has a pro or anti CRT stance and the stance of other sites. You then asked when I last did a proper cruise.

Was this just a random question that you asked out of the blue, or did you feel that my answer to it might inform the subject under discussion?

I suggested this site has a pro C&RT stance. I’m sorry if that upset anyone. 

2 minutes ago, rowland al said:

I suggested this site has a pro C&RT stance. I’m sorry if that upset anyone. 

I don't think that it "upset" anyone.

It was just a very silly statement indeed.

NBW has a stance, and no opinions that are contrary to that stance are allowed.

This site has hundreds of members, all with their own opinions, and they are all allowed to post them. "The site" cannot have a stance. Only individuals can have a stance.

You don't seem to have answered my question as to why you asked about my last proper cruise.

10 minutes ago, mayalld said:

I am actually more likely to criticise CRT than praise them, but don't let that get in the way of being labelled a CRT fan because I sometimes say when they have done right

I mean no disrespect but my view is that you have only become more critical of C&RT since they failed to respond appropriately to your Freedom of Information Request -

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/costs_of_rebranding

perhaps you would care to give an update on this.

10 minutes ago, mayalld said:

My, my, he must have practically wet his pants at such an honour.

As for correction, it is actually very common in the REAL press to submit articles for factual correction. It doesn't give the consultee a veto, it just stops the journalist from looking a pratt

... but a veto is what C&RT wanted. Tom Crossley's publish. If C&RT responded  to the article then publish the response. 

Just now, mayalld said:

I don't think that it "upset" anyone.

It was just a very silly statement indeed.

NBW has a stance, and no opinions that are contrary to that stance are allowed.

This site has hundreds of members, all with their own opinions, and they are all allowed to post them. "The site" cannot have a stance. Only individuals can have a stance.

You don't seem to have answered my question as to why you asked about my last proper cruise.

Did you enjoy your last cruise Dave? 

Why did many members of this forum get banned from this forum for having a different stanice?

1 minute ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

I mean no disrespect but my view is that you have only become more critical of C&RT since they failed to respond appropriately to your Freedom of Information Request -

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/costs_of_rebranding

perhaps you would care to give an update on this.

... but a veto is what C&RT wanted. Tom Crossley's publish. If C&RT responded  to the article then publish the response. 

Your perception is incorrect.

Where CRT are wrong I criticise. Where they are right I praise.

Any change in the extent of either will simply reflect my view as to how well or otherwise they are doing.

So far as the FOI request is concerned, I asked a question, and I have received responses. Getting the answer to a question is nice, but a determination to evade the question can be better, and banked for a rainy day.

Why would Crossley wish to deny a right of reply?

1 minute ago, rowland al said:

Did you enjoy your last cruise Dave? 

Why did many members of this forum get banned from this forum for having a different stanice?

I really don't think I'll be answering questions about my enjoyment or otherwise of my cruises when you pointedly fail to respond to why you feel this is relevant.

I am not aware that members were banned for being anti-CRT as such. I am aware of bans for the ways in which opinions were expressed, and I take the view that during that time the wrong people were making bad decisions. It still happens sometimes, but I feel on the basis of an overly prescriptive "niceness" test rather than on whether you are anti-CRT

5 minutes ago, mayalld said:

Any change in the extent of either will simply reflect my view as to how well or otherwise they are doing.

So far as the FOI request is concerned, I asked a question, and I have received responses. Getting the answer to a question is nice, but a determination to evade the question can be better, and banked for a rainy day.

I really don't think I'll be answering questions about my enjoyment or otherwise of my cruises when you pointedly fail to respond to why you feel this is relevant.

I am not aware that members were banned for being anti-CRT as such. I am aware of bans for the ways in which opinions were expressed, and I take the view that during that time the wrong people were making bad decisions. It still happens sometimes, but I feel on the basis of an overly prescriptive "niceness" test rather than on whether you are anti-CRT

Well I wish that you do enjoy any future cruises Dave. If you haven’t got a boat then PM me. 

8 minutes ago, rowland al said:

Well I wish that you do enjoy any future cruises Dave. If you haven’t got a boat then PM me. 

What are you on about, Dave has a boat.

So how did you find the Leeds and Liverpool.? 

Just now, mayalld said:

Perhaps I have not made myself clear.

Tom Crossley's policy is (or was) to publish articles and to subsequently publish any C&RT response to those articles. I am sure that if C&RT had responded to his article admitting a mistake in its closure notice then he would have been more than happy to publish.

With regard to your FOI request, it is one of many where C&RT has failed to discharge its duties. I think I detect from your rather convoluted response that you have not made a complaint to the information commissioner. Is that correct? 

10 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Tom Crossley's policy is (or was) to publish articles and to subsequently publish any C&RT response to those articles. I am sure that if C&RT had responded to his article admitting a mistake in its closure notice then he would have been more than happy to publish.

With regard to your FOI request, it is one of many where C&RT has failed to discharge its duties. I think I detect from your rather convoluted response that you have not made a complaint to the information commissioner. Is that correct? 

Ha ha, I did wonder why you didn’t reply to my PM Allan. What is it? The same cloth eh?  

13 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

I think that you will find that is between me, CRT and the ICO!

25 minutes ago, rowland al said:

well, I certainly had a boat on Sunday, and your wishes as to my enjoyment are noted.

I remain perplexed as to what the relevance of any of it was to the matter at hand

6 minutes ago, mayalld said:

I think that you will find that is between me, CRT and the ICO!

well, I certainly had a boat on Sunday, and your wishes as to my enjoyment are noted.

I remain perplexed as to what the relevance of any of it was to the matter at hand

Enjoy exploring then...

I tried to start a poll here but it keeps coming up with an error. 

Basically the question is -

Do you think C&RT have done a good job at managing the canals for boaters over the last 6 years?  

(time flies!)

I’m sorry that I probably come over as aloof at times but I do genuinely care. 

11 hours ago, mayalld said:

Ok, let me explain why I think this question is relevant. 

If certain members here do not regularly go out in a boat and explore the system, how can they have an accurate opinion about the state of the system with respect to being a boater? 

Ok, they can base their opinion on heresay, but don’t you think that it’s better to ‘see it for yourself’.

I suppose I got a bit peeved about the ‘attack’ on Allan, but I think he handled it much better than me.

By the way Dave, it seems I incorrectly assumed you hadn’t got a boat to explore in, hence my offer. Sorry about that.