Fake news on NBW

dor

Featured Posts

Cannot agree with you on that.

The fact it is already under the Winter stoppage listing indicates that the canal is closed. It is just an addendum that now the towpath is closed. Winter stoppages are never issued just for towpath closures. Trying to nitpick makes you look stupid.

Notices issued are classified by type. There are eight types. A notice can be classified as being of more than one type.

Two of these types are 'navigation closure' and 'towpath closure'. Thus a closure can be 'navigation' or 'towpath' or both.

Navigation closures are further subdivided into 'emergency navigation closures' (C&RT sometimes calls these unplanned or unscheduled) and 'planned winter navigation closures'. 

Some years ago, C&RT started having planned closures in summer, particularly on the BCN. These appear as 'planned winter navigation closures' on C&RT's database.

When run on 24/10/2018, my program detected that the notice was 'navigation closure' of sub-type 'planned winter navigation closure'. I can't say if it was also a 'towpath closure' as this is not checked. However, when run yesterday, the program did not detect this.

I have just made an enquiry via the webpage.  The notice is showing as 'planned winter navigation closure' but not as a 'towpath closure'.

As I understand it, the winter works list is generated daily from the stoppages database. I guess anything the stoppage database shows as 'planned winter navigation closure' ends up on the stoppage list.

15 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

For what it is worth, I have a program that scans C&RT's stoppages database and calculates the number days lost to unplanned (i.e. emergency) and planned navigational closures between two given dates. (It was developed when I noted a mismatch between the number of 'days lost' reported by C&RT and the number showing on its database for any particular day.) 

Run on 24/10/2018 this programs diagnostic output shows that this notice type was planned navigation closure. 
Run today, the this stoppage is just a towpath closure notice/ advice notice so ignored by my program.

Having checked through my emails, the one I received says 'Navigation closure notice: Shropshire Union Canal, Navigation: Closed, Towpath: Closed' on the subject line and 'Navigation Closure' in the body.

Looking at the record now there is a mismatch between the closure type as found by an enquiry and what is returned. Put another way, if you use the stoppage webpage to find navigation closures, this stoppage is not returned. If you search for towpath closures then the record is returned but says Type: Navigation Closure.

I don’t understand what your point is?

No real point. I am just posting some facts for those of an open mind.

If you want an opinion, based on facts, then I see just two possible scenarios -

1. C&RT has posted a 'towpath closure' as a 'navigation closure' (specifically a 'planned winter navigation closure') and failed to correct this. 

2. C&RT has failed to post as both a 'a planned winter navigation closure' and a 'towpath closure'.

I would go for the first as it is simplest explanation. With regard to the second, I would have expected to see information such as nearest winding holes.

1 hour ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

No real point. I am just posting some facts for those of an open mind.

If you want an opinion, based on facts, then I see just two possible scenarios -

1. C&RT has posted a 'towpath closure' as a 'navigation closure' (specifically a 'planned winter navigation closure') and failed to correct this. 

2. C&RT has failed to post as both a 'a planned winter navigation closure' and a 'towpath closure'.

I would go for the first as it is simplest explanation. With regard to the second, I would have expected to see information such as nearest winding holes.

Yes, in post two it was confirmed that the original notification was as inaccurate.  NBW took the original notification and made Fake news,  the notification was obviously inaccurate in some way as as you said “I would expect to see information such as nearest winding holes”.   

I think the likes of NBW should have a open mind, it’s just a site for bashing CRT and the articles like this just prove that.

6 hours ago, Robbo said:

I think the likes of NBW should have a open mind, it’s just a site for bashing CRT and the articles like this just prove that.

...and this (C&RT World)  is a site which promotes C&RT. What goes around, WILL come around...if you have a boat on their waters...

7 hours ago, Robbo said:

Yes, in post two it was confirmed that the original notification was as inaccurate.  NBW took the original notification and made Fake news,  the notification was obviously inaccurate in some way as as you said “I would expect to see information such as nearest winding holes”.   

It did have nearest winding holes....

Email Subject : Navigation closure notice: Shropshire Union Canal, Navigation: Closed, Towpath: Closed
Email Date : 2018/10/24 11:41:34
Navigation : Shropshire Union Canal
Navigation Status : Closed
Towpath Status : Closed
Start Date : 2018/11/05 08:00:00
End Date : 2018/12/14 16:00:00
Starts At : Railway Bridge 89A
Ends At : Railway Bridge 89A
Upstream Winding : Poole Hill, south of Bridge 96, Shropshire Union Canal
Downstream Winding : Hack Green, Lock 2, Shropshire Union Canal

and it still does:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12896/bridge-89a-railway-bridge-near-nantwich-shropshire-union-canal

So maybe the only problem is that they should have stated that "The towpath is also closed for safety reasons" .  It's pretty obvious that if the towpath has to be closed for safety reasons then its likely the canal is also closed, especially when they provide winding hole information

Edited by StephenA

8 minutes ago, rowland al said:

Ask that to my face then...

Sorry but I still don’t understand what your talking about???    If C&RT world you mean this site???  This is a forum, where others can discuss issues to and for CRT if they wish.  NBW is a newspaper, they only publish comments on what they feel.

Edited by Robbo

34 minutes ago, StephenA said:

It did have nearest winding holes....

Email Subject : Navigation closure notice: Shropshire Union Canal, Navigation: Closed, Towpath: Closed
Email Date : 2018/10/24 11:41:34
Navigation : Shropshire Union Canal
Navigation Status : Closed
Towpath Status : Closed
Start Date : 2018/11/05 08:00:00
End Date : 2018/12/14 16:00:00
Starts At : Railway Bridge 89A
Ends At : Railway Bridge 89A
Upstream Winding : Poole Hill, south of Bridge 96, Shropshire Union Canal
Downstream Winding : Hack Green, Lock 2, Shropshire Union Canal

and it still does:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12896/bridge-89a-railway-bridge-near-nantwich-shropshire-union-canal

So maybe the only problem is that they should have stated that "The towpath is also closed for safety reasons" .  It's pretty obvious that if the towpath has to be closed for safety reasons then its likely the canal is also closed, especially when they provide winding hole information

Well - I read that as both the Navigation and the Towpath are closed for 5 weeks.

Just as NBW reported.

5 minutes ago, rowland al said:

Not at all. I just love what we have and don’t want to lose it..

I would go back to have less bikes on the towpath unless they triple the width. (The path, not the bikes, so enough for a couple to walk hand in hand and a bike to pass).   Even thou I cycle, I hate cycling when the path is busy, and vice versa I hate it when walking you get a arse hole cyclist who thinks the bell is get “out of my way” rule.

3 minutes ago, rowland al said:

Good man. I always thought I could rely on you to move on our joint interests..

Well now I have no idea what you are talking about.......

1 minute ago, rowland al said:

Do you know how many of my posts you have said that to? It seems your answer for eveything..I’m running out of battery power now, lol...  x

No I don't.

I haven't kept a tally.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well - I read that as both the Navigation and the Towpath are closed for 5 weeks.

Just as NBW reported.

Well here is what narrowboatworld said -

Shroppie closed for six weeks to clean bridge

PUBLISHED: THURSDAY, 25 OCTOBER 2018

THE Shropshire Union Canal is to be closed for six weeks starting on the 5th November to allow contractors to clean a railway bridge.

This is Bridge 89A, the railway bridge below Nantwich, and will of course have an effect on people taking late narrowboat holidays from below the bridge hoping to reach such as the Llangollen Canal.

No apology

Such as those from Cheshire Cat Narrowboat Holidays at Overwater Marina, near Audlem, with Linda Andrews telling us that though Canal & River Trust have apologised 'for any inconvenience this may cause our towpath users', not a word about inconvenience to canal users

and

Is it another CaRT clanger?

PUBLISHED: FRIDAY, 26 OCTOBER 2018

I AM thinking that closing navigation on the Shroppie for six weeks to clean a bridge is another mis-information clanger from CaRT, writes T. Lang.

I remember other cases of work being done on railway bridges, where scaffolding and sheets are erected to stop anything falling and the navigation underneath remains open. All part of the many regulations in force nowadays.

Why the towpath closed?

And why the towpath should be closed for six weeks when it can easily be policed by the workmen is strange too.  After all the work by the towpath will only be a small part of the whole bridge.

I am thinking it is more of what Victor calls a 'Cartism'—the stoppage notice giving the wrong information, being of course produced by someone who knows no better, and what we now come to expect.

No doubt those that think C&RT can do no wrong will point out that Alan said five weeks and narrowboatworld said six therefore it is  still fake news.

2 hours ago, rowland al said:

...and this (C&RT World)  is a site which promotes C&RT. What goes around, WILL come around...if you have a boat on their waters...

My word, you do talk some utter piffle at times.

Let me try to explain this.

Narrowminded World is a blog. Tom Crossley likes to pretend that it is part of "the press", but it isn't. It is a personal blog with an strict editorial line ("CRT are crap" amongst others) that make the Daily Mail and Daily Mirror look like egregious fence-sitters. He likes to pretend that Victor Swift is a real person, rather than just being Tom, and he permits a small number of others to post to his blog, providing they toe the party line. He tried having a forum once, but people on there refused to join the anti-CRT groupthing, so he closed it down.

This site is a forum, where people are free to express opinions on CRT, both pro-CRT and anti-CRT. some people even manage to post a balance of opinions about things CRT have done well, and things that they have done badly.

The lack of an anti-CRT "editorial" stance (and I use the quotes, because it accords the blogger Tom Crossley too much kudos to call him the editor) doesn't make this a pro-CRT site.

• Greenie 3

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I was 'estimating'. Looking at the diary it is 5 weeks 5 days

I estimate that 5.7 members that have contributed to this thread will not 'come out' and admit that the NBW thread  was not fake news.
I estimate that 6.2 members will pretend they have no idea what Roland Al is talking about.  

9 minutes ago, mayalld said:

My word, you do talk some utter piffle at times.

Let me try to explain this.

Narrowminded World is a blog. Tom Crossley likes to pretend that it is part of "the press", but it isn't. It is a personal blog with an strict editorial line ("CRT are crap" amongst others) that make the Daily Mail and Daily Mirror look like egregious fence-sitters. He likes to pretend that Victor Swift is a real person, rather than just being Tom, and he permits a small number of others to post to his blog, providing they toe the party line. He tried having a forum once, but people on there refused to join the anti-CRT groupthing, so he closed it down.

This site is a forum, where people are free to express opinions on CRT, both pro-CRT and anti-CRT. some people even manage to post a balance of opinions about things CRT have done well, and things that they have done badly.

The lack of an anti-CRT "editorial" stance (and I use the quotes, because it accords the blogger Tom Crossley too much kudos to call him the editor) doesn't make this a pro-CRT site.

When did you last do a proper cruse my friend?