Changing a boat's name.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Hi 

My Brother in law changed the name of his boat without any problem  I think he just told CART and they reissued his licence in the new name.

I don't want to be smug but according to Canalplan our boat has a unique name not that we can take any credit because we bought the boat secondhand ?

Just now, tizzy said:

Hi 

My Brother in law changed the name of his boat without any problem  I think he just told CART and they reissued his licence in the new name.

I don't want to be smug but according to Canalplan our boat has a unique name not that we can take any credit because we bought the boat secondhand ?

So did ours until somebody named theirs the same a few years back!

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Don't you lot know that it is very unlucky to be superstitious?

CaRT's web site has a special dispensation, signed by his Holiness to make sure that the holiness isn't in the boat hull.

That should do the trick.

I wish I had known the superstition about changing a boat name on dry land.

I bought an ex hire boat and changed the name whilst afloat.

I am not superstitious by nature - touch wood -  but that explains why my boat has been plagued by rust ever since.

2 hours ago, tizzy said:

Hi

Oddly enough, mine seems to be unique... if I'd picked the next tune in the book, it would have been even uniquer.

3 hours ago, tizzy said:

According to canalplan mine is so unique it doesn't even exist - though likewise I can't take any credit and TBH I suspect I might change it at some point if I manage to have any inspiration. It can't be all that hard to come up with a unique name if you avoid the blindingly obvious.

...strangely enough the original name of my boat (which is still engraved on the plate on the engine) also appears to be unique according to canalplan, and actually it occurs to me that I quite like it - are there any superstitions attached to changing the name of a boat back to the original?

Edited by aracer

3 hours ago, aracer said:

According to canalplan mine is so unique it doesn't even exist - though likewise I can't take any credit and TBH I suspect I might change it at some point if I manage to have any inspiration. It can't be all that hard to come up with a unique name if you avoid the blindingly obvious.

...strangely enough the original name of my boat (which is still engraved on the plate on the engine) also appears to be unique according to canalplan, and actually it occurs to me that I quite like it - are there any superstitions attached to changing the name of a boat back to the original?

Seems logical to me that if you have to take the boat out of the water to change it's name, then you must put it under the water to change it back again. ? 

Back on topic... There are many and varied superstitions about renaming boats, but they nearly all involve alcohol. 

We thought only one libation to Neptune was quite risky, so tried a few different ones. 

So far so good, as the boat is still on top of the water.  Don't forget that you can't use the same bottle for each of the ceremonies, so you must consume the leftovers before starting the next propitiation. 

Hic! 

21 hours ago, tizzy said:

Hi 

Whether it is unique or not is irrelevant as according to superstition it is now due to sink!

On 25/10/2018 at 13:04, Arthur Marshall said:

Oddly enough, mine seems to be unique... if I'd picked the next tune in the book, it would have been even uniquer.

Just listened to Lady G's vid and if you can play that up to speed,then you are some Trombonist!

I played professionally most of my working life and it was generally said that Trombones can't play anything faster than crotchets!

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Just listened to Lady G's vid and if you can play that up to speed,then you are some Trombonist!

I played professionally most of my working life and it was generally said that Trombones can't play anything faster than crotchets!

Unless you’re Martin Wilson...

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I is confused - I play trombone* and can't hear any on that video - is there some point I'm missing?

*I'm a trumpet player, wouldn't call myself a trombonist (I just use it for a couple of songs my band plays), but can definitely play at least quavers ;)

9 minutes ago, aracer said:

I'm a trumpet player, wouldn't call myself a trombonist (I just use it for a couple of songs my band plays), but can definitely play at least quavers 

I spit on your quavers and offer you a 36 year old clip of 19 year old MW above. Semi quavers, for sure, but at that speed more like demi semi... :P

16 minutes ago, aracer said:

I is confused - I play trombone* and can't hear any on that video - is there some point I'm missing?

I didn’t get that reference either so that’s two of us missing the point.