Mooring help

Simon Marshall

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

So are you implying that only those who own a boat, and possibly live on one are the only people who can have a valid opinion on this forum?
If that was the case then there wouldn't be many members here!

I own a boat, and I live on one, but my opinion is frequently ludicrous.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

There are many people who have never owned a boat who are still very knowledgeable about the canals and boating . As most of you know I usually work the locks and Gillie drives the boat and many many times male bystanders, upon spotting a woman getting a 70 foot boat into a lock, say "can I give you a bit of advice luv?" ?

..............Dave

49 minutes ago, dmr said:

As most of you know I usually work the locks and Gillie drives the boat and many many times male bystanders, upon spotting a woman getting a 70 foot boat into a lock, say "can I give you a bit of advice luv?" ?

Priceless... and my money is on her dealing with it quite effectively. This sort of thing doesn't need legislating against, it just needs laughing at and it'll die out on its own. We need to be careful we don't kill genuine helpfulness with it though. :)

1 hour ago, dmr said:

There are many people who have never owned a boat who are still very knowledgeable about the canals and boating . As most of you know I usually work the locks and Gillie drives the boat and many many times male bystanders, upon spotting a woman getting a 70 foot boat into a lock, say "can I give you a bit of advice luv?" ?

..............Dave

.....but people are sometimes not so knowledgable. On Monday we had an interesting incident going up Hatton. The pound in the middle of the flight (just before the 'dog-leg' and the start of the 'close' locks) was not very full. In fact I would say it was rather empty. Coming up through the lock below we could see a very newish looking boat was stuck in the pound. The boat had strayed out of the deep centre channel and was pointing towards the bank and firmly stuck. I went up and asked the helm ( I wont define the gender) if we could help. The conversation went something like:

- Can we help?

- We're stuck. Its too shallow.

- Can you reverse?

- No

- Put it in reverse, that's good, just slow the revs down a bit.

- I'm not moving

- Yes you are

- I'm not moving

- Yes, its looking good, keep it like that

- I'm not moving

- Dont worry, you are nearly clear. There you go, turn into the centre of the channel and keep it there.

A minute later the boat was again aground. We repeated the excercise above and the boat just about made it to the lock.

Turned out later they had not had the boat long. Guess the helm thought they had to go forward to clear the grounding. Its all a learning excercise.

Having said all that, our boat, which was in fact breasted up to another, so we had an extra body to do the locks took a wild skew round in the shallow pound by 45 deg as we approached the lock despite in the hands of an experience helm (a woman....not Mrs Bob btw). Virtually no wind in that location so must have been underwater currents.

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

.....but people are sometimes not so knowledgable. On Monday we had an interesting incident going up Hatton. The pound in the middle of the flight (just before the 'dog-leg' and the start of the 'close' locks) was not very full. In fact I would say it was rather empty. Coming up through the lock below we could see a very newish looking boat was stuck in the pound. The boat had strayed out of the deep centre channel and was pointing towards the bank and firmly stuck. I went up and asked the helm ( I wont define the gender) if we could help. The conversation went something like:

- Can we help?

- We're stuck. Its too shallow.

- Can you reverse?

- No

- Put it in reverse, that's good, just slow the revs down a bit.

- I'm not moving

- Yes you are

- I'm not moving

- Yes, its looking good, keep it like that

- I'm not moving

- Dont worry, you are nearly clear. There you go, turn into the centre of the channel and keep it there.

A minute later the boat was again aground. We repeated the excercise above and the boat just about made it to the lock.

Turned out later they had not had the boat long. Guess the helm thought they had to go forward to clear the grounding. Its all a learning excercise.

Having said all that, our boat, which was in fact breasted up to another, so we had an extra body to do the locks took a wild skew round in the shallow pound by 45 deg as we approached the lock despite in the hands of an experience helm (a woman....not Mrs Bob btw). Virtually no wind in that location so must have been underwater currents.

The locks below the CRT yard have some nasty currents in them.  I always try to have the next lock ready so I don’t have to stop in the pound, as If I do, I usually end up all over the place and look a right tit in front of all the onlookers.

16 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The locks below the CRT yard have some nasty currents in them.  I always try to have the next lock ready so I don’t have to stop in the pound, as If I do, I usually end up all over the place and look a right tit in front of all the onlookers.

Thanks John. Interesting. The pound that was very low was the first of the longer ones as you go down the close flight. I think it is the first one after that that doesn't have the side pound. We've never seen a problem in that pound before so were thinking it was caused by the low water level. Another major breach????!!!! All the pounds above were full to the brim.

14 hours ago, Simon Marshall said:

Can I ask why there seems to be so much conflict on here?

Everyone using this forum obviously has their own views/opinions no matter the subject! but isn't the objective of forums like this to provide a valuable resource of information related to the subject? 

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the replies in this thread have provided plenty of useful info both positive and negative! (thank you) BUT, (correct me if I'm wrong) there has been an awful lot of un-helpful as well as uncalled-for replies.

I am more than happy to take any criticism regarding this idea and welcome everyones views! I just find it hard to understand why some people feel the need to be less informative and more offensive with their replies.

If you stick around, and I do suggest you do as there is a wealth of knowledge on here you will soon see that some people like to have a go, but don't write them off as they also have a lot of knowledge if you ask a question in their field. Pick up the useful stuff and just let the garbage float by.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

I had the opposite on the Weaver when I stood and watched a lady wind and come into the bank, when I walked forward to take the rope she asked if I was going to tell her what she had been doing wrong. The answer was nothing, it was spot on. She was use to men telling her how to do it.

3 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

So are you implying that only those who own a boat, and possibly live on one are the only people who can have a valid opinion on this forum?
If that was the case then there wouldn't be many members here!

Agreed. I no longer have a boat ( my wife's declining health dictated a move ashore) but my opinions remain valid because I haven't suddenly forgotten all the knowledge that I acquired from cruising and living aboard for 20 years 

Phil 

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Agreed. I no longer have a boat ( my wife's declining health dictated a move ashore) but my opinions remain valid because I haven't suddenly forgotten all the knowledge that I acquired from cruising and living aboard for 20 years 

Phil 

Or lost your interest Phil, and long may you continue to have it. 

I rather like the mix of characters, skills and experience here, boating and otherwise.  How dull would it be to come into an echo chamber to hear only others who share one's own views and opinions? How do you learn anything in an environment like that?

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Priceless... and my money is on her dealing with it quite effectively. This sort of thing doesn't need legislating against, it just needs laughing at and it'll die out on its own. We need to be careful we don't kill genuine helpfulness with it though. :)

Yes, we have a good laugh about it and have some good stories to exchange we meet other female boaters who have experienced much the same.  We were approached by a bloke on the T&M who offered advice (we do struggle a bit with some T&M locks for various reasons) and we declined this, but in the following conversation it became clear that he was a very long term boater with extensive experience of full length deep drafted boats (possibly operated a hotel pair at some stage) and we could likely have learned a lot if we had not declined his help, win most but loose a few ?

.............Dave