Mooring help

Simon Marshall

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

MJG, apart from continually trying to invoke new rules about content of posts and now picking arguments that stop threads, do you feel you are contributing to the canal based knowledge of the forum?

He’s obviously been kicked off the caravan forums so is now back here....mind you must be boring hauling a tin box about so I guess you have to cheer yourself up somehow. 

3 hours ago, Simon Marshall said:

One more thing!

I keep seeing "in London" mentioned... To be clear, We already live in London! We're wanting to move out of London and looking for a mooring anywhere West/North West of Twickenham within 50ish miles. Not interested in London moorings!

In boating terms this is “London”. The same lack of moorings is now affecting most of the southern waterways....especially any that are vaguely residential..official or not. It’s the same way that people now...thankfully I’m not one...commute from Leicester into london every day. 

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, aracer said:

Moored in a marina and didn't move whilst not living aboard? That seems way stranger than just having a houseboat in a marina.

I suppose it would have been, but that's not what we did.

5 hours ago, Simon Marshall said:

Can I ask why there seems to be so much conflict on here?

Of course - and the answer is, I don't think there is. Some members have a more robust discussion style than others, certainly. One unifying feature of boaters is that they're all different.

2 hours ago, frangar said:

He’s obviously been kicked off the caravan forums so is now back here....mind you must be boring hauling a tin box about so I guess you have to cheer yourself up somehow. 

Yes I'm afraid Provence and Lake Annecy along with the Italian Lakes can be very very grim........

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

Of course - and the answer is, I don't think there is. Some members have a more robust discussion style than others, certainly. One unifying feature of boaters is that they're all different.

No Athy, there is conflict as one of the members refered to a post of mine as 'chlidish' and I pulled him up on it, only for him to respond with the line "you mate" and then in the next post accused me of incorrect typing " your    typo". It seems like some people just want to argue about anything. Anyway I will not say any more about this on this thread....but will respond when he starts the next one on the next thread.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

No Athy, there is conflict as one of the members refered to a post of mine as 'chlidish' and I pulled him up on it, only for him to respond with the line "you mate" and then in the next post accused me of incorrect typing " your    typo". It seems like some people just want to argue about anything. Anyway I will not say any more about this on this thread....but will respond when he starts the next one on the next thread.

The typo was mine. I typed 'you mate' rather than 'your mate'. I was acknowledging my error.

You are so quick to jump on things, that is one of the reasons why there is often conflict on here.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

The typo was mine. I typed 'you mate' rather than 'your mate'. I was acknowledging my error.

I thought as much, but was called away on other duties (supplying Mrs. Athy with mug of tea) before I could check!

19 minutes ago, MJG said:

You are so quick to jump on things, that is one of the reasons why there is often conflict on here.

If you took care over what you posted in the first place then there would be nothing to 'jump' on.

Just now, Dr Bob said:

If you took care over what you posted in the first place then there would be nothing to 'jump' on.

Oh dear.

A simple 'ah sorry Martin. I see what's happened there I misunderstood' - would have been much less confrontational don't you think?

21 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Let him who is without sni scat the frist stoen, as the Godo Boko says.

.....and this is then relevant to the OP. If you buy a boat, you will be less grumpy as you will be in the company of a huge network of non grumpy boaters. There are so many nice people out there that you will enjoy life on the water. You may have more luck finding a mooring in the area you are looking if you get a narrow beam and then you will easily have the opportunity to cruise around the network as that is the way to get to know many of these nice people. You may think you need a widebeam for the room but a huge number of liveaboard boater on inland waterways in the uk live on a narrowboat. We have a big house but spend 80-90% of our time on our 63' sewer tube. It is plenty big enough and far more room than the lumpy water boat we lived on full time prior to this.

4 hours ago, MJG said:

Yes I'm afraid Provence and Lake Annecy along with the Italian Lakes can be very very grim........

I guess they probably are....personally I’d rather be on the BCN but at least with you there and now off the cut we know your point of view is even less valid. 

9 minutes ago, frangar said:

I guess they probably are....personally I’d rather be on the BCN but at least with you there and now off the cut we know your point of view is even less valid. 

Yes that is often cited (actually with boring and very non original repetitiveness)  but this is a forum which takes all comers even people who don't have boats any longer.

There are actually quite a few members who don't have boats on here now, and some who even have caravans, camper and motor homes. As it's not actually against the forum rules to own one nor is a requirement to own a boat to post on the forum we will continue to do so if that's all the same to you.

So if you think that counts as some sort of excellent 'put down' I rather think you need to try harder Gareth. At least be original.

Edited by MJG

25 minutes ago, frangar said:

So are you implying that only those who own a boat, and possibly live on one are the only people who can have a valid opinion on this forum?
If that was the case then there wouldn't be many members here!

Just now, Graham Davis said:

So are you implying that only those who own a boat, and possibly live on one are the only people who can have a valid opinion on this forum?
If that was the case then there wouldn't be many members here!

TBH Graham I just think it's a symptom of a lack of creative thinking.

It goes something like:-

'Ooooooh just what can I say to insult (insert name of choice but it's usually me) - Oh I know I'll be really clever and mention their view cant be valid because they have:-

a - sold their boat

b - don't actually have a boat and never had one

c - they are hire boaters

d - even worse they have sold their boat and now have a caravan.

There is then a slight whirring noise whilst the 'brain' selects the choice to be the most 'cutting' selection completely failing to recognise that it's all been said before.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I know the standard riposte to anybody who complains  is "if you don't like it then don't read it", but frankly guys this getting pretty tedious.

Any chance of the pair of you "getting a room"?

I agree Alan. I'm now back to my happy go lucky muppet self.?

14 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I know the standard riposte to anybody who complains  is "if you don't like it then don't read it", but frankly guys this getting pretty tedious.

:P

Then don't read it.

As for getting those two in the same room, would this really be advisable.

I think the situation i: Martin owns a caravan. Other forum members make light-hearted digs about caravans. Martin does not see these as jests and indignantly defends caravans and their owners.

Both have their points, but it's not worth getting het up about. Similar situations crop up regularly in other parts of the forum> narrowboat v. widebeam, pump-out v. cassette, ecofan v. - er - no ecofan and so on. These, while they may get a little wearing sometimes, are harmless, as long as they remain good-natured. Same with this one.