Mooring help

Simon Marshall

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Boaty Jo said:

If you're not going to move it why bother getting something expensively built in the shape of a boat?

Get a pontoon and build a shed on it.

A cheaper version of this.....

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76598258.html

Wasn't this featured on that recent TV series about building houseboats?

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

Why does a boat need to be on a canal? I haven't been on a canal on my boat for years

Oh silly silly silly.   Of course it doesn't have to be on a canal but when a discussion is a) on a canal forum b) has been mentioning canals and canal marinas I am not going to write "because it is probably on a canal, or maybe a river , possibly even an estuary or even perhaps water".

As I said a silly reply, you understood very clearly what was meant.

12 hours ago, frangar said:

Why on earth buy a boat if you aren’t going to move? May I suggest a caravan or mobile home may be more suitable for you? 

This is a valid point, but by - or on - the water is an appealing place to live: views, wildlife, tranquillity, the soothing rocking motion*...not always, I suspect, available in caravan parks.

* applies only to living on, rather than beside, the water unless there's a flood.

Edited by Athy

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

This is a valid point, but by - or on - the water is an appealing place to live: views, wildlife, tranquillity, the soothing rocking motion*...not always, I suspect, available in caravan parks.

* applies only to living on, rather than beside, the water unless there's a flood.

I’m not sure either being welded to a pontoon in a marina or fighting it out with 4000 other boats in London is any of the above. 

Oh and just to keep it “on topic” for the benefit of the OP I live aboard....and have a mooring in a marina but we go around the system for at least two months of the year plus escape for a few days each month as work allows...

6 hours ago, frangar said:

A dose of reality is sometimes needed. Too many have very rise tinted glasses these days. 

I saw no evidence of rise (sic) tinted glasses, just a straightforward question.

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’m not sure either being welded to a pontoon in a marina or fighting it out with 4000 other boats in London is any of the above. 

We moored in a marina for several years (though did not live aboard) and found all of the above.

As the O.P. intends this to be a static home, he won't be"fighting it out" with a bo-dillion other boats anyway, but will be able to enjoy seeing them as they pass.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

I saw no evidence of rise (sic) tinted glasses, just a straightforward question.

This has shades of "Allo Allo": rise tinted glosses.

But I agree with your assessment.

2 hours ago, Boaty Jo said:

If you're not going to move it why bother getting something expensively built in the shape of a boat?

Get a pontoon and build a shed on it.

A cheaper version of this.....

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76598258.html

Like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canal-narrowboat-butty-12-ft/132829558940?hash=item1eed42389c:g:y98AAOSwsuNbzjGP

50 minutes ago, MJG said:

Trust you to make a point of a spelling fail...perhaps as someone that tows a shed around you may suggest a few sites near water that fit the OP’s desire to have a waterside location? 

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

Trust you to make a point of a spelling fail...perhaps as someone that tows a shed around you may suggest a few sites near water that fit the OP’s desire to have a waterside location? 

Oh dear, and how would that help the OP exactly? Given they want a boat that would be an utterly pointless series of recommendations.

Edited by MJG

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Oh dear, and how would that help the OP exactly? Given they want a boat that would be an utterly pointless series of recommendations.

And just maybe by pointing out the downsides we may help save him a great deal of money & stress. 

The op simply wants a houseboat to live in. A new one. I’m not sure why the emotive opposition to this plan.

It’s not as though he is planning to be a pretend CCer abusing the system is it? People have been living on houseboats for decades. It’s hardly a new idea. 

• Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

And just maybe by pointing out the downsides we may help save him a great deal of money & stress. 

I think you should read the OP more carefully.

Particularly noting this bit.

Me and my partner are looking to buy a new sail-away wide beam next spring/summer to fit out inside then live on. We really want to secure a mooring before putting the deposit down on the boat. 

Sounds sensible enough to me and not like he needs 'saving from himself'.

Edited by MJG

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The op simply wants a houseboat to live in. A new one. I’m not sure why the emotive opposition to this plan.

It’s not as though he is planning to be a pretend CCer abusing the system is it? People have been living on houseboats for decades. It’s hardly a new idea. 

Because thanks to all the articles,TV programmes & silly house prices it’s now rather hard thing to do in the south east! Then when you find a static mooring is harder to get or 5 times the price than you expected you decide to CC along with the rest....sometimes a reality check about how it really is can be a good thing. As stated before there are myriad posts like the OP both on here and FB....and I don’t see new moorings being developed in the south east at the same rate. 

Im all for living on boats...but Its not all plain sailing....??

• Greenie 1

Thanks for all the replies people!

As I stated at the beginning, I am looking to live on the water in a static location and I have no interest in CC! I am trying to be sensible and secure a permanent mooring for the boat and will not be buying until I find something. 

I am fully aware of the potential costs and am willing to pay decent money for the right location if it comes up.

All I originally asked was if anyone knew of any potential moorings, if not, thats fine, I will carry on looking an hopefully something will come up eventually. I don't need to be lectured.

Thank you to everyone thats been positive and helpful.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Simon Marshall said:

All I originally asked was if anyone knew of any potential moorings, if not, that's fine, I will carry on looking an hopefully something will come up eventually. I don't need to be lectured.

Then it is fortunate that some possible mooring locations have been suggested, and that, although reservations and words of caution may have been expressed, no one has lectured you. I hope you soon find what, or rather where, you seek.

16 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

MJG, apart from continually trying to invoke new rules about content of posts and now picking arguments that stop threads, do you feel you are contributing to the canal based knowledge of the forum?

I rather think your mate got that thread locked?

Are you going for this one?

You will presumably note that other members agree with the sentiment of my post.

Edited by MJG

9 minutes ago, MJG said:

I rather think your mate got that thread locked?

Are you going for this one?

You will presumably note that other members agree with the sentiment of my post.

You probably can't read this, but everyone else can. 

The other thread wouldn't have been locked without your help. 

• Greenie 4

16 hours ago, frangar said:

Soothing rocking motion can definitely be had whilst moored in a marina (I have no idea about London) - though also views:

DSC_1978.JPG.779e1605c6da0c0627288bfcf0af1c76.JPG

and wildlife (my boat in background):

DSC_1980.JPG.a87420c83dfaef5b7286ca92ca1864ad.JPG

17 hours ago, Athy said:

We moored in a marina for several years (though did not live aboard)

Moored in a marina and didn't move whilst not living aboard? That seems way stranger than just having a houseboat in a marina.

Can I ask why there seems to be so much conflict on here?

Everyone using this forum obviously has their own views/opinions no matter the subject! but isn't the objective of forums like this to provide a valuable resource of information related to the subject? 

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the replies in this thread have provided plenty of useful info both positive and negative! (thank you) BUT, (correct me if I'm wrong) there has been an awful lot of un-helpful as well as uncalled-for replies.

I am more than happy to take any criticism regarding this idea and welcome everyones views! I just find it hard to understand why some people feel the need to be less informative and more offensive with their replies.

• Greenie 2