Mooring help

Simon Marshall

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Im looking for a little help/guidance...

Me and my partner are looking to buy a new sail-away wide beam next spring/summer to fit out inside then live on. We really want to secure a mooring before putting the deposit down on the boat. 

Obviously a residential mooring would be prefered but I'm aware that they are not that easy to come by! 

Could anyone on here know of any marinas/boatyards with live aboard moorings available within 50 miles West / North West of Twickenham.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Edited by Simon Marshall

27 minutes ago, Simon Marshall said:

Hi all.

Me and my partner are looking to buy a new sail-away wide beam next spring/summer to fit out inside then live on. We really want to secure a mooring before putting the deposit down on the boat. 

Obviously a residential mooring would be prefered but I'm aware that they are not that easy to come by! 

Could anyone on here know of any marinas/boatyards with live aboard moorings available within 50 miles West / North West of Twickenham.

Thank you for any help in advance.

That's a very popular area.

You are being very wise in looking to secure a mooring before buying a 'fatty'. What size (length x width) are you thinking of ?

Are you planning to cruise, or just use it as a floating-flat (some canals are not wide enough for fatty boats)

One problem you may have is finding a marina that allows you to fit out a boat. You may need to find some 'hardstanding' somewhere for a few years whilst you fit it out, and then move to a marina when it is finished.

Blue Pins = 0-25 miles radius from Twickenham

Red Pins 25-50 miles radius from Twickenham

map-image-radius.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

25 minutes ago, Simon Marshall said:

Hi all.

Basically, you and about 30,000 others all have the same plan. 

My advice is abandon the idea of buying a new boat, buy a second hand one ON A MOORING. That way you get the mooring. Then if you like living on it and still want a new boat, buy one and flog your second hand one by giving it to a broker. This way you pass on the problem of finding a mooring to someone less canny than you. 

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are being very wise in looking to secure a mooring before buying a 'fatty'. What size (length x width) are you thinking of ?

Are you planning to cruise, or just use it as a floating-flat (some canals are not wide enough for fatty boats)

One problem you may have is finding a marina that allows you to fit out a boat. You may need to find some 'hardstanding' somewhere for a few years whilst you fit it out, and then move to a marina when it is finished.

Thanks for the help!

Looking at a 50'x10' atm.

We won't be planning to move no.

I did think this could be an issue I would really prefer to fine a place I can work on it while afloat but understand its going to limit my options.

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Blue Pins = 0-25 miles radius from Twickenham

Red Pins 25-50 miles radius from Twickenham

map-image-radius.jpg

Baffled by this. Your plan seems to be centred on Stevenage...

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Basically, you and about 30,000 others all have the same plan. 

My advice is abandon the idea of buying a new boat, buy a second hand one ON A MOORING. That way you get the mooring. Then if you like living on it and still want a new boat, buy one and flog your second hand one by giving it to a broker. This way you pass on the problem of finding a mooring to someone less canny than you. 

Hi and thanks for your advice,

This was a thought we had tbh and still will look into this if nothing else is available.

4 minutes ago, Simon Marshall said:

Thanks for the help!

Looking at a 50'x10' atm.

We won't be planning to move no.

I did think this could be an issue I would really prefer to fine a place I can work on it while afloat but understand its going to limit my options.

Why on earth buy a boat if you aren’t going to move? May I suggest a caravan or mobile home may be more suitable for you? 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol, you're new here aren't you!!!!

:giggles:

Indeed!  It seems that way. Oh well. Another failed project up for sale in 6 months then to  join the rest of the flat afloats cluttering up the southern waterways. 

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Indeed!  It seems that way. Oh well. Another failed project up for sale in 6 months then to  join the rest of the flat afloats cluttering up the southern waterways. 

He did the sensible thing asked and is now informed. Rather than buying the boat and then realising he had a) no mooring and b) not a chance of getting one.

the pin model, i recon that works well and the canals of northern france will soon fill up with uk fatboats  as they are going to realise its nearest place  to lunun to get a mooring.

• Greenie 1

As a Londoner of 70 years +, living in London, who kept his leasure boat in a N W London marina for 15 years that's why I'm sitting on my boat in Oxfordshire. Considered moving back last year but a walk along my local canal convinced me otherwise

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The fact it isn't on a canal?

Why does a boat need to be on a canal? I haven't been on a canal on my boat for years

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

He did the sensible thing asked and is now informed. Rather than buying the boat and then realising he had a) no mooring and b) not a chance of getting one.

the pin model, i recon that works well and the canals of northern france will soon fill up with uk fatboats  as they are going to realise its nearest place  to lunun to get a mooring.

I'm on a fat boat and I've had 2 different moorings within a 10 mile radius of Twickenham up until about 5 years ago. It is possible despite what you'll hear from some people on this forum.

Try penton hook marina on the Thames (pricey) and also Bell Weir boats up near Runnymede. You need to get out there and start asking around. Good luck and don't let the naysayers put you off.

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Why does a boat need to be on a canal? I haven't been on a canal on my boat for years

I'm on a fat boat and I've had 2 different moorings within a 10 mile radius of Twickenham up until about 5 years ago. It is possible despite what you'll hear from some people on this forum.

Try penton hook marina on the Thames (pricey) and also Bell Weir boats up near Runnymede. You need to get out there and start asking around. Good luck and don't let the naysayers put you off.

Thank you Blackrose.

I will indeed.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Simon Marshall said:

Would be great if this is kept on topic please.

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Can we do the fish jokes now?

No - the OP wants it kept on Topic

The Topic contains 232 Kcalories and 12g of fat.

The Topic was first introduced in 1962 and the advertising 'strapline' was "A Hazel Nut in every bite", which led to the oft asked question "What has a Hazel Nut in every bite" and the answer being "Squirrel Poop"

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - the OP wants it kept on Topic

The Topic contains 232 Kcalories and 12g of fat.

The Topic was first introduced in 1962 and the advertising 'strapline' was "A Hazel Nut in every bite", which led to the oft asked question "What has a Hazel Nut in every bite" and the answer being "Squirrel Poop"

Oi!!!

I wanted fish jokes not squirrel jokes. 

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So that has probably jarred another new member off. Well done

Just as long as the kiddies can have their fun.....nothing else matters to some.