Drying logs....

Featured Posts

We have had our first batch of winter wood delivered

On checking them they are averaging around 35% to 38% moisture content. The supplier who sold them as 'dry' and ready to burn has been most apologetic and is supplying another batch FOC.. (He is double checking the new batch is below 20%).

So what is the quickest way to get the first batch below 20%, or am I consigned to just sitting it out leaving them till next year in a dry store (garage)?

I know some of you don't fret about moisture content but I prefer to not burn anything above 20%.

Ideas please.

Edited by MJG

1 minute ago, Phil. said:

You could try talking to them.....all that hot air would do something. :D

Chortle.....

We have, and as I said we have got the first batch for zilch.

Stick them outside, not in a garage.  Stand them on pallets with a top tarp and all 4 sides exposed to weather.  They might be right for next winter depending on the summer of 2019.

You need the air circulation to finish seasonong them, so a loose stack is much bettet than a tight stack. 

Edited by TheBiscuits

Thanks to Mr Frank Hornby I made a Meccano trivet to dry wet coal before putting it on the fire. As you can see fresh supplies of coal are brought in by the Ford Dinky lorries on the mantlepiece. The coal is then unloaded onto the right hand side of the trivet and taken off to use from the left hand side. An anti-clockwaise process which also involves turning the coals over every so often,'' like cooking Chestnuts'' to ensure thorough dryness.  :closedeyes: 

001.JPG

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Stick them outside, not in a garage.  Stand them on pallets with a top tarp and all 4 sides exposed to weather.  They might be right for next winter depending on the summer of 2019.

You need the air circulation to finish seasonong them, so a loose stack is much bettet than a tight stack. 

That’s the way I would do it also.

1 hour ago, MJG said:

On checking them they are averaging around 35% to 38% moisture content

Just checking, but is that in the middle of a freshly split log, or at one end of a pile that got rained on? 

Split a log and test the middle of the new split is how you test firewood with a moisture probe. 

Apologies if Grandma already can suck eggs, but it may be new information to someone on the forum. 

50 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just checking, but is that in the middle of a freshly split log, or at one end of a pile that got rained on? 

Split a log and test the middle of the new split is how you test firewood with a moisture probe. 

Apologies if Grandma already can suck eggs, but it may be new information to someone on the forum. 

Newly split.

The ends of some are in the high 30s low 40s which I took to be due to getting wet.

Oddly I've check some more in the same batch after posting and they are showing low 20s so I think I've got a bit of a mix bag, literally.

Edited by MJG

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

And don't rely on a Chicom 2prong moisture meter get a decent 4prong one Also is your first load splits?they wlll dry quicker if they are 

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

This if you can, they need good air movement obviously they will be a lot slower to season during the winter particularly if we have a wet one

8 hours ago, MJG said:

Newly split.

The ends of some are in the high 30s low 40s which I took to be due to getting wet.

Oddly I've check some more in the same batch after posting and they are showing low 20s so I think I've got a bit of a mix bag, literally.

Sounds like someone has messed up in the yard, a win for you at least :)

28 minutes ago, MJG said:

Thanks all, I was hoping if there was some way to accelerate the process but clearly not.

I've got room to move this batch outside.

If you're boy scout trained, or have an appropriate adult to supervise you with a knife, maybe you could whittle a few of the logs into sufficient pegs to hang the result out to dry? :)

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

773b90e4f58ccaa2a74204b9b7f26912.jpg

We have a few circular ones around our way not seen a square one before & a couple have a teapot on the centre roof point have asked but haven't had a logical explanation as yet, on the local to us ones the roofs over hang quite a bit more possibly to keep,more splits dry.

Edited by X Alan W

18 hours ago, MJG said:

We have had our first batch of winter wood delivered

On checking them they are averaging around 35% to 38% moisture content. The supplier who sold them as 'dry' and ready to burn has been most apologetic and is supplying another batch FOC.. (He is double checking the new batch is below 20%).

So what is the quickest way to get the first batch below 20%, or am I consigned to just sitting it out leaving them till next year in a dry store (garage)?

I know some of you don't fret about moisture content but I prefer to not burn anything above 20%.

Ideas please.

If you have ever noticed the stacks of logs all over the French countryside, then I suggest you emulate the owners of those logs, and stack yours outside, the same way as in France.

5 hours ago, X Alan W said:

We have a few circular ones around our way not seen a square one before & a couple have a teapot on the centre roof point have asked but haven't had a logical explanation

There were a couple of threads on here a while back about this.............

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

If you have ever noticed the stacks of logs all over the French countryside, then I suggest you emulate the owners of those logs, and stack yours outside, the same way as in France.

After several years of servicing saws for a trying to make a few "bob" concern I found out a local to us unwritten  thing (don't know if it's relevant to other areas) if the logs are stacked flat the owner has a use for the wood if the logs are stacked vertical (stood on end) a trip to the Marie will tell you who  owns  the wood  & where /how to contact with a view to acquiring /purchasing  same