Boat length

Bromleyxphil

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Photo please, as I don't remember that one and it sounds interesting. 

And yes I had assumed you were hogging the waterpoint at Tod :D

We've been moored opposite the waterpoint and just popped over once or twice to get water. The waterpoint has space for maybe 4 boats but there is a long termer down at the far end and I didn't really fancy the end by the pub, that would be just too close, but also it does get a bit lively on Friday and Saturday nights.

The interesting gate is at the Eastern end of the summit pound, it often has a steady flow of water coming through it, but not all the time. Will try and do a photo tomoro or next time its flowing.

................Dave

3 hours ago, Bromleyxphil said:

It matters if the locks are too small, I want to be on the LL and this 60’ boat, brand new was nearly 62 feet tip to rudder.  Just wondered if there was an accepted convention.  Do they shrink when you put them in the water?

I measured mine several times last year whilst deciding whether to risk doing the 62ft sections of the Leeds and Liverpool. It worked out at about 63' 6" without fenders, measured from the tip of the bow to the tip of the extended rudder. I made the whole journey (Leeds to almost Liverpool, due to the breach) without any real issues, just meant I had to do all the locks diagonally and some without front and rear fenders.

There's a couple of tight locks where the pounds are slightly shorter than the rest, you just have to be extra careful and do them slowly.

11 hours ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Hi guys, when you measure a boat length where do you measure from and to.  I went to look at one at the weekend that was 60’.  When I got the tape on it the body was 60’11” and then the rudder stuck out further from the back.  I need your experience!

58 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Cheers guys, the answer seems to be, take the tape measure and make your own decision.  Now where did I put the 200’ tape?

Crikey, are you looking at a really big range of lengths or allowing for a huge margin of error? ;)

Our stated length was 58ft. From where to where I did not know. The mooring at Castle Park Leicester had a beautifully set out evenly spaced timber and parallel timber decking which allowed me to accurately determine the extremities of the hull by sighting along the edges of the deck planks. My 10m tape, used twice, sequentially, then determined these extremities were 17.6m (58 ft)  apart. With bow and stern fenders lifted and rudder hard over, this equated to the minimum distance required between lock gates when sitting square.  With the bow and stern fenders, mooring length was about 60ft. 

Edited by DandV