Character From the Cut

Parahandy

Featured Posts

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/crime/shocking-attack-on-milton-keynes-dog-man-sparks-outrage-1-8677188

I thought I would stick this Link up , many of you who frequent the GU South will perhaps have met Peter through the Years as he walks along the Canal Side with his Dogs ,

a Common Sight in Milton Keynes and an absolute Gentleman lets hope he gets back on his Feet and the Culprits Caught and Punished Severely

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/crime/shocking-attack-on-milton-keynes-dog-man-sparks-outrage-1-8677188

I thought I would stick this Link up , many of you who frequent the GU South will perhaps have met Peter through the Years as he walks along the Canal Side with his Dogs ,

a Common Sight in Milton Keynes and an absolute Gentleman lets hope he gets back on his Feet and the Culprits Caught and Punished Severely

The link doesn't work for me.

6 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Dont be silly. The thug will come from a broken home and had a troubled childhood. Do you not know its completely normal to do stuff like this when you have had a hard life as a kid? He needs counselling then a nice one bed flat needs finding for him funded by the taxpayer. We can put him on a curfew and ensure he isnt norty again and give him some spending money for his heroin.

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, Bee said:

Deep breath. Heavy sigh. Choose words carefully. The thug quite likely does come from a broken home, probably from generations all depressingly the same. probably has had a troubled /deprived childhood. Quite possibly not very bright, probably got no chance of getting a flat or halfway decent job, may well father a few more to tread the same path. Chucking him in jail doesn't break the cycle. A flat and a job just might, money spent on that stands a chance of working and could well be cheaper than the cost to everybody in police time, jail, future victims etc.  Personally I think that for about 30% of the population evolution stopped in the 1970's and they are turning into some sort of brutish sub species.

It happened long before the seventies. I was locking thugs like this up in the 70s and 80s and precisely nowt has changed. The sob stories by his brief in court may be more polished these days but the thugs " Rights " will outweigh the victims.

• Greenie 2

46 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It happened long before the seventies. I was locking thugs like this up in the 70s and 80s and precisely nowt has changed. The sob stories by his brief in court may be more polished these days but the thugs " Rights " will outweigh the victims.

I think that's rather Bee's point.  Locking them up didn't do any good, apart from getting them out of society's way for a bit.  If anything, it just sent them to a better school for learning thuggery.  It's a bit like the bring back the birch merchants - all that does is teach kids that it's OK to hit people as long as they're smaller or less powerful than you.

All that being said, I've no idea what the solution is, except that increasing the level of poverty, deprivation and homelessness, which is what this government has been doing for the last few years, is probably not it.  Nor is reducing the numbers of police, banning books for prisoners, cutting prison staff, privatising the criminal system, demolishing legal aid and virtually destroying the probation system.

Heinlein, I recall, reckoned everyone should be allowed three crimes on their record.  Any more than that, you just kill them as being too much of a nuisance to society.  I suspect there are flaws, even in that...

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think that's rather Bee's point.  Locking them up didn't do any good, apart from getting them out of society's way for a bit.  If anything, it just sent them to a better school for learning thuggery.  It's a bit like the bring back the birch merchants - all that does is teach kids that it's OK to hit people as long as they're smaller or less powerful than you.

All that being said, I've no idea what the solution is, except that increasing the level of poverty, deprivation and homelessness, which is what this government has been doing for the last few years, is probably not it.  Nor is reducing the numbers of police, banning books for prisoners, cutting prison staff, privatising the criminal system, demolishing legal aid and virtually destroying the probation system.

Heinlein, I recall, reckoned everyone should be allowed three crimes on their record.  Any more than that, you just kill them as being too much of a nuisance to society.  I suspect there are flaws, even in that...

Alas I don't have the answer either ... but a thought crossed my mind the other day. We rightly get annoyed when we see evidence that animals in captivity are stressed - for example bears pacing backwards and forwards in their pen (no matter how nicely decorated it looks to us - it's not their natural habitat); but we (as a society) are totally blind to the cause of this psychosis(?) that seems to effect people crammed into modern high density population centres (cities) - forced to live in small homes with little, if any, outdoor space ... we wonder why people get violent at what appears to be a slight transgression when in fact it may be the straw that breaks the camels back of tolerance.

Me neither, except to say that we all probably do - 

The OP surmises that it is a thug from a broken home and had a troubled childhood  with a drugs habit - so he doesn't think it is likely that the perp. came from a settled, loving, enriched home background  where he was able to benefit from a decent education that led to a reasonable job or the prospects of one.

Anything come to mind that might actually deal with those conditions.  The 'thug' would be most at home in the well prepared seed bed for crime that is prison, and most uncomfortable taken out of is environment, divorced from his drug use and offered counselling to enable him to confront what he has done and given the opportunity to become a contributor to Society - but hey-ho prison is cheaper and among those those who want to see more people in prison there are a sizeable proportion who then complain that prison is too soft.

Repeating the link as I hold up my hands to acknowledging that in arguing amongst ourselves about the perpetrator the victim was getting lost.   

36 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

The OP surmises that it is a thug from a broken home and had a troubled childhood  with a drugs habit - so he doesn't think it is likely that the perp. came from a settled, loving, enriched home background  where he was able to benefit from a decent education that led to a reasonable job or the prospects of one.

Anything come to mind that might actually deal with those conditions.  The 'thug' would be most at home in the well prepared seed bed for crime that is prison, and most uncomfortable taken out of is environment, divorced from his drug use and offered counselling to enable him to confront what he has done and given the opportunity to become a contributor to Society - but hey-ho prison is cheaper and among those those who want to see more people in prison there are a sizeable proportion who then complain that prison is too soft.

Repeating the link as I hold up my hands to acknowledging that in arguing amongst ourselves about the perpetrator the victim was getting lost.   

Yes we do tend to miss what is important at times .... but I think it's because we are outraged and flummoxed (?) by people's attitudes and probably frustrated that this isn't a solitary incident .... I re-read the article after you re-posted the link and spotted that it wasn't a single assailant - it appears to have been a group who have filmed the assault. This doesn't sound like a "thug from a broken home .... " to me - more like a privileged twat who thinks beating up on someone worse off than them is a nice evening's entertainment. I don't normally support unfetterred police access to digital records but so many phones automatically backup video these days - wouldn't it be nice if they could find the video and use technology to apprehend the perps.

7 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of People on here who lack the basic intelligence to understand plain English even when its written down in front of them . Where did I surmise in the OP anything ? If I am wrong in my understanding of your Post then please accept my Apologies and feel free to correct me ?

Milton Keynes. When I worked there we used to have to go to some areas to see patients with 4 staff. 3 to go in to the crack den to administer the medication and one to stop the locals stealing the car or wheels. Offered drugs at 0800 in the morning. mugged for my drug case there when visiting a patient in penny lands  by Marina. 

its a fine place. Haven't been back since 1996.

9 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

The OP surmises that it is a thug from a broken home and had a troubled

Just for clarity I think you will find that it wasn't the op who stated anything like that

I was taught that root cause analysis is the way to solve issues, rather than attempt to fire fight resultant problems.

If the likes of child tax credits didn't exist and single motherhood wasn't a career opportunity paved in relative gold compared to other local opportunities, the sub species mentioned earlier would become extinct. As things stand, by being nice and caring and compassionate on the one hand, society is encouraging further growth in the sub species on the other.  

17 hours ago, Parahandy said:

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of People on here who lack the basic intelligence to understand plain English even when its written down in front of them . Where did I surmise in the OP anything ? If I am wrong in my understanding of your Post then please accept my Apologies and feel free to correct me ?

The OP to whom I was referring has self-identified.  

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Correct, I believe it could well have been me?