Maybe a more general question - Commandery Lock in Worcester on W&B

aracer

Featured Posts

I've known there's going to be a stoppage at the Commandery Lock in Worcester since before I bought my boat as I'd done my research (or thought I had) as it's the nearest lock in that direction from where my boat is and I knew I needed to get through before if I wanted to avoid a long diversion. However on checking again just now it seems the canal is closed from a couple of locks below to the lock above, which just happens to include my home mooring.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12926/lock-3-sidbury-commandery-near-diglis-worcester-and-birmingham-canal

Does this mean I won't be able to go out on the river whilst they're working on the lock, despite not having to go through that to get on the Severn? I'd assumed my cruising would be limited to the Severn and other connected waterways I can get to from that for 6 weeks rather than that I couldn't go anywhere at all. Will the locks between me and the Severn be locked?

I guess there's an issue with water and that the pound I'm on would be emptied by use of the locks without flow from above. But then what happens to the level in the pound above the closure when water is locked down into it - I presume there are overflow channels into the pounds below, and there is certainly a pump which normally sends water up past the lock they're fixing. Though actually this now makes me wonder if it's even worse than I'd thought - given they're repairing the bottom gates and cill which are below the level of water my boat floats in and I'm on a bit which is closed, what's happening to the water level where I'm moored?

I know I'm a bit of a newbie to all of this, but was discussing the closure the other day with one of my neighbours who have been boating for a lot longer and they also seemed under the impression that we'd still be able to get onto the Severn,

I think you should talk to CRT. I doubt they would drain the pound between locks 2 and 3 unless absolutely necessary due to the presence of Diglis Basin in that pound. If you are moored at Diglis speak to the marina management.

Some stoppage notices in the past have been overly cautious in terms of the limits of navigation. Note that this is more about instructing cruisers of where to turn than defining the physical limits of dewatering or navigation.

Over the winter period there will be times when boats are effectively blocked in on home moorings. It’s also a period during which the Severn will not always be available for navigation due to water levels.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Just to confirm, there is no current plan to close the river locks. Where are you planning to go? if you want to get back on Worcester & Birmingham then just divert through Droitwich (provided your air draft can clear the M5 covert) or if going anywhere north, then go up the Severn to Stourport and join the Staffs & Worcester. No long diversions and the Staffs is one lovely canal trip. If you are heading for the Grand union area and do not want to go on the BCN then it's down the Severn and on to the Avon at Tewkesbury up to the Stratford canal (note: I have not checked if there are any stoppages on these routes).

27 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

CRT have confirmed Locks 1 and 2 will still be open.

Thanks! I should have just phoned them and was going to, but it was after office hours when I noticed this yesterday, and twitter probably works better.

Stop planks makes sense - I just wasn't thinking properly in terms of how canals work. I'm still not quite sure how the water level will be topped up if we're using the locks then unless they can fit the stop planks the lock side of the side flow channels, but I guess there's a lot of water in the basin compared to the amount used even in those huge locks.

Don't have any particular plans at the moment, but it will be nice to still be able to get out. Didn't want to be stuck here for 6 weeks unable to move. As you suggest going to Birmingham shouldn't take much longer via Droitwich though I'm also wanting to explore the other options you suggest - looking forward to heading up the Staffs.

All assuming the Severn isn't too high to go on - though that's not just a winter thing, I was here in July 2007 and it was running fast enough last week to put me off going out (in my narrowboat - I might be new to narrowboats but have spent lots of time on the river in kayaks, including in full on flood conditions so know it well, though those go twice as fast and turn far easier - if you see somebody in the basin in a racing kayak* then that will probably be me)

*or on a unicycle, which you're more likely to see me on though hopefully not in the basin in that case

CaRT are usually pretty good at keeping sections with lots of official moorings in water. They can use pumps to bypass the dewatered lock, or they could backpump from the Severn. Had a similar thing where I moor, where we played musical boats, moving above and below the lock being worked on a couple of winters back. All coordinated by CaRT and I got a new free pair of shiny mooring pins too.

Jen

That's a really good point - yes there's usually a flow into that arm and it can't really come from anywhere else. Makes sense given that there must be more movements through locks 1 and 2 (it's the only way the WBs can go) than through 3 and that those locks hold much more water. So the closure of 3 is a complete non-issue for movement through 1 and 2.

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anybody else is interested, an update - it appears the work is finished and the lock is open (at least there is no sign of any work going on, no padlocks and no notices saying otherwise - I've not tried going through but I checked carefully at there and Blockhouse as I went past on the towpath today). In a way I'm a bit disappointed, as I'd hoped to go and have a look with my son (and he didn't come here last weekend)! I've no idea how far you can get as there was also work scheduled at TIbberton (and further up at Stoke and Tardebigge), I might go for a ride up there and have a check later.

Do CRT ever update the notices when the work is finished, as I just checked and it still says it's closed?