Central heating webasto

Rory_d

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

Ok I’ve put a direct feed positive and negative to the unit and it’s totally dead :( the fuse in the ac switch is also good 

Hi

Do you know any boaters in your area? Soemeone with some experience may spot something for you. I have to say just looking at the pictures it all looks rather a mish mash of an instalation. If I were you I would take the unit out and take it to someone to check it out/service it for you and take it from there as you have no idea if the unit is even serviceable at this point. Oh and you realy MUST fit a solid fuel stove if you dont have one.

59 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

Should that central heating pump be there? All of the plumbing is quick fit plastic pipes except the pipe from the pump to the rad which is copper

Impossible to say whether or not you need a pump without seeing the heating arrangement that it's pumping. Even if you do need a pump you certainly don’t want a power hungry mains one if you’re cc-ing. 

1 hour ago, Rory_d said:

Should that central heating pump be there? All of the plumbing is quick fit plastic pipes except the pipe from the pump to the rad which is copper

All the Top C's I've seen have had integral pumps. If your plumbing is as bad as your wiring I think you've got big problems. I suggest you get somebody that knows about these things to sort it. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Flyboy said:

All the Top C's I've seen have had integral pumps. If your plumbing is as bad as your wiring I think you've got big problems. I suggest you get somebody that knows about these things to sort it. 

Yes it increasingly looks like a complete testicles of a job.

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes it increasingly looks like a complete testicles of a job.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Random light switch, little toggle switch hanging on its tails, mains ch pump...

I’ve got somebody coming out tomorrow to have a look, 

i had a thought ...

the boat was moored up as a liveaboard maybe the webasto was disconnected and the central heating pump installed so they could have central heating using the heater in the calorifier?

4 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

had a thought ...

Sound like a great thought. Now, what does it mean? :icecream:

Good luck with someone looking at it tomorrow. If you can't ask the previous owner, to this sounds like the next best plan. ?

I spoke to the previous owner today who seemed surprised it had a webasto heater onboard!

Hopefully the chap tomorrow can have a look and advise as what the best option is, my trail of thinking and gut tells me rip it all out, reuse the rads, reinstall the webasto from scratch with all new wiring and add a control panel and associated loom and see where that takes me, can’t be any worse than what it is now!

2 hours ago, Rory_d said:

I spoke to the previous owner today who seemed surprised it had a webasto heater onboard!

Hopefully the chap tomorrow can have a look and advise as what the best option is, my trail of thinking and gut tells me rip it all out, reuse the rads, reinstall the webasto from scratch with all new wiring and add a control panel and associated loom and see where that takes me, can’t be any worse than what it is now!

Curious, as the previous owner said previously that  it was working fine. I hope you don't find any more cans of worms he hasn't mentioned.

Edited by Flyboy

Yeah tell me! I’ve found loads of issues, I’ve had to rip most of the interior out, I’ve removed over 200 litres of water out the bulge, leaking water pump, leaking shower, leaking kitchen tap , leaking waste pipe. Upon lifting the rotten floor up all the timber frame was rotten so had to replace all of that. 

Still loads ads of water appearing inside so removed wall panels to find every single window leaking plus all the framework was rotten or soaking wet so had to replace all that too! 

This boat has been a nightmare and I’m knee deep with it atm and it’s costing a lot of money!

Oh and when I was in the bedroom the other day glaring out the window the whole ceiling decided to collapse on my head! Literally the whole thing just let go on top of me! 

I wasnt ammused!

7 hours ago, Rory_d said:

Yeah tell me! I’ve found loads of issues, I’ve had to rip most of the interior out, I’ve removed over 200 litres of water out the bulge, leaking water pump, leaking shower, leaking kitchen tap , leaking waste pipe. Upon lifting the rotten floor up all the timber frame was rotten so had to replace all of that. 

Still loads ads of water appearing inside so removed wall panels to find every single window leaking plus all the framework was rotten or soaking wet so had to replace all that too! 

This boat has been a nightmare and I’m knee deep with it atm and it’s costing a lot of money!

Oh and when I was in the bedroom the other day glaring out the window the whole ceiling decided to collapse on my head! Literally the whole thing just let go on top of me! 

I wasnt ammused!

So Rory, were you just unlucky that your surveyor had gone blind and failed to mention it... or did you assess the boat yourself before you bought it? :icecream:

I suspect this could take a few months to make it habitable for kiddies. It will be a lot more difficult if the family move in while under construction. 

I'd prioritise the solid fuel stove.

http://www.soliftec.com/Boat Stoves 1-page.pdf

Fit carbon monoxide alarms and keep the boat ventilated.

Now the ceiling has fallen down, it is time to insulate, maybe 2" of Celotex or Kingspan. not the  cheapest but might be the quickest.

https://www.less2build.com/kingspan-celotex-xtratherm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjbveBRDVARIsAKxH7vlqW3B1LU3twnx4xa59ZUWu7GGF81KC26JT1sADoKDuidMgHNn2mLQaAi2SEALw_wcB

The mattress will go soggy and mouldy unless the base is ventilated. Turning it every day and airing bedding will help. 

I trust your partner was "on board" with this plan :)

Edited by LadyG

I believe this boat was bought on Ebay as a doer upper.

after having a good look at it, you knew you could make it a nice boat 

for the money I beleive paid it was cheap as chips.

having a webasto fitted, bad electrics, and no off/or on panel I imagine that no one knew it was there.

may have been fitted many owners ago and forgot about.

but know your working hard on it, and heard a rumour that you got the engine to start.  Well done!!

buying a project boat, that’s what it is. RIP out interior, electrics and start anew.

keep the rads and pipework flush through, connect to working heater or a multi fuel stove

keep up the hard work, your doing everything right

col

35 minutes ago, bigcol said:

I believe this boat was bought on Ebay as a doer upper.

after having a good look at it, you knew you could make it a nice boat 

for the money I beleive paid it was cheap as chips.

having a webasto fitted, bad electrics, and no off/or on panel I imagine that no one knew it was there.

may have been fitted many owners ago and forgot about.

but know your working hard on it, and heard a rumour that you got the engine to start.  Well done!!

buying a project boat, that’s what it is. RIP out interior, electrics and start anew.

keep the rads and pipework flush through, connect to working heater or a multi fuel stove

keep up the hard work, your doing everything right

col

Nice one, bigcol - the OP probably needs this kind of support more than my humour at the moment. :)

Keep going Rory; we're all behind you really! :cheers:

• Happy 1

Yeah the engine is all running, the whole interior has been ripped out, all the flooring framework has been replaced with half the ply done now,

it it was a very good deal but at this point several grand has gone into it and it hasn’t scratched the surface :(

the guy guy whom I bought the boat off is a really nice man and done me a good deal so can’t complain about that.

just a few annoying little things to sort, central heating being one!

i removed another load of panelling from under the gunnels today to find several holes, some with silicone squeezed through and the others with bolts, I’d imagine by the age of it it was done many years ago by a total jack **** at least they over played it I guess....