Central heating webasto

Rory_d

Featured Posts

Hi,

i bought a narrow arrow boat a couple of weeks ago which has got a webasto diesel unit which is linked to the calorifier and 4 radiators,

my my question is how on earth do I start it up? It looks like it’s all wired in but there’s no switches anywhere so was wondering if anybody here could help

I have looked and looked online but can’t find a manual for love nor money :( 

the seller Said it was all working fine .

i can’t find a control panel so assuming there is a switch or something to make it run 

i looked on webasto website but couldn’t find anything helpful there either

1 minute ago, Rory_d said:

I have looked and looked online but can’t find a manual for love nor money :( 

i can’t find a control panel so assuming there is a switch or something to make it run 

i looked on webasto website but couldn’t find anything helpful there either

Which model of Webasto is it, exactly?  Or post a photo of it. 

My warm air Webasto is turned on and off by a switch at the room thermostat.

There is no thermostat , I’ve looked everywhere ! 

Il have to take a picture tomorrow evening and upload it here and maybe somebody can help! 

Im at the point where I’m going to rip it all out and bin it

If it helps the wiring from the unit goes into the 12 v fuse box,

there is is a yellow and black wire that both go Into a normal domestic house light switch , if you flick the switch nothing happens. There are only 2 wires in that switch 

If it helps the wiring from the unit goes into the 12 v fuse box,

there is is a yellow and black wire that both go Into a normal domestic house light switch , if you flick the switch nothing happens. There are only 2 wires in that switch 

The fuse is fine, 

There is also 2 earth wires right above the unit, these 2 earth wires go into a 12v toggle switch, if you flick the switch nothing happens.

i had the boat surveyed the other day and I asked the guy and he looked and couldn’t figure it out 

Frankly, without the manual you might as well rip it out and bin it.  It's worth putting considerable effort into identifying the appliance and getting a manual.

The level of expertise here is astonishing, but you may not realise that yet. Post a photo of it and someone will come up with the manual, almost bound to. 

(Point being, the manual will tell you how to operate it, and if it doesn't work, will have a fault tracing flow chart.)

May be worth investigating a secondary (back-up) form of heating, particularly with a young family. (Multi-fuel?)

Boats can get mighty cold mighty quickly without heating. 

10 hours ago, Rory_d said:

9 hours ago, RAP said:

Is it possible to ask the previous owner...

BUMP!

It could hardly have been "working fine" if there's no way to switch it on, so why not ask the previous owner this question?  This would just seem so much easier than ripping it out!

11 hours ago, Rory_d said:

Hi,

i bought a narrow arrow boat a couple of weeks ago which has got a webasto diesel unit which is linked to the calorifier and 4 radiators,

my my question is how on earth do I start it up? It looks like it’s all wired in but there’s no switches anywhere so was wondering if anybody here could help

The most common Webasto type  is the Top C and would normally have a timer.  To operate the heater manually you just press the button marked with the flame. I suggest you look for a timer like the ones in the link, it may be hiding in a cupboard.  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=webasto+thermo+top+c&rlz=1C1AOHY_en-GBGB775GB808&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiXmK-70ZneAhUlIsAKHaaZAjcQ7Al6BAgFEA8&biw=1280&bih=845#imgrc=sdjsZNQRTdXFeM:

Contacting the previous owner would be the best option imo.

Edited by Flyboy

I have removed most of the interior as I am

refitting it out and there is definitely no timer or control panel in there. 

I cant find any loose wires either that would suggest it would of had one fitted in the first place.

il upload some pictures shortly when I get back to the boat

I have also tried to contact the old owner several times now without joy :(

I have also tried to contact the old owner several times now without joy :(

That’s the unit, it says webasto thermo top c . 12v 40w.

5kw diesel

2.5 bar 

9004622a

the yellow wire out of the bottom of the chock block and the black out of the top go to the light switch I mentioned previously

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

That’s the unit, it says webasto thermo top c . 12v 40w.

5kw diesel

2.5 bar 

9004622a

the yellow wire out of the bottom of the chock block and the black out of the top go to the light switch I mentioned previously

image.jpg

What does the small blue toggle switch do ?

I take you have tried the little blue toggle switch? 

I’d be slightly alarmed at the poor quality of the electrical installation so def worth getting the manual and wiring it up properly and presumably adding a timer and thermostat would improve your comfort too!