Liveaboard issues

Mac10

Featured Posts

Just now, Jerra said:

Sensible don't you think?

Why?

I'd have thought an explantation at least, would have been in order. 

Looks to me as though the bad old days are returning, where posts are modded and/or deleted without a word of explanation to anyone including the author. In contravention of Dan's undertaking a couple of years ago to make ensure mods explain their actions.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why?

I don't think liveaboards should be called scum, even by themselves. It's a bit childish, just egocentric attention seeking. Issues are, actually, worth discussing. So I think the change is valid, though th OP will probably see it as paternalistic intetference and an abuse of her rights... 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why?

Well for me the title was misleading.  I read it and thought here we go again somebody ranting about seeing "scruffy" boats and "roof covered in junk" or "towpath blocked by junk".

When I read the post it was a surprise to find it was from the other point of view and somebody complaining about an attitude they seem to feel is held by some..

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't think liveaboards should be called scum, even by themselves. It's a bit childish, just egocentric attention seeking. Issues are, actually, worth discussing. So I think the change is valid, though th OP will probably see it as paternalistic intetference and an abuse of her rights... 

A brief note to the mod saying, for example "title changed to be less provocative" would have sufficed. But no, NOTHING! 

This sort of thing amateur modding is why I stopped financially supporting the forum. 

It really chuffs me orf.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A brief note to the mod saying, for example "title changed to be less provocative" would have sufficed. But no, NOTHING! 

This sort of thing amateur modding is why I stopped financially supporting the forum. 

It really chuffs me orf.

If you have a forum which says it doesn't allow politics to be discussed but in reality it does and doesn't allow dual IDs when somebody is banned but in reality it does I'm surprised you are surprised.

Why do you perceive people who live on boats are scum? I lived on board for 25 years and met a diverse range of people from multimillionaires, minor royalty,  entrepreneurs industrialists, through teachers bin men Dr’s alcoholics, artists 

boat painters to retired disabled and unemployed people. None were scum, they were human.

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Why do you perceive people who live on boats are scum? I lived on board for 25 years and met a diverse range of people from multimillionaires, minor royalty,  entrepreneurs industrialists, through teachers bin men Dr’s alcoholics, artists 

boat painters to retired disabled and unemployed people. None were scum, they were human.

I think you misunderstand the OP's use of the term.

As I read it they were using a term that is used to describe them by others. Not how they themselves saw them.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

I think you misunderstand the OP's use of the term.

As I read it they were using a term that is used to describe them by others. Not how they themselves saw them.

Quite so and i am reflecting on the fact that in 25 years of residential boat ownership and 15 years of semi residential ownership i have not actually met anyone who i would describe as scum. Colourful yes criminal yes strange yes mad yes boring yes , but scum?

how you see yourself is frequently a reflection of how others see you.

ive been called worse than scum simply for owning a boat but its like water off a ducks back because it just aint true. 

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

ive been called worse than scum simply for owning a boat but its like water off a ducks back because it just aint true. 

Try owning a caravan......

I think the facilities provided for live aboards are adequate. They pay the same for their licence as everyone else so shouldn't expect extra facilities.

There are divisions between live aboards and leisure boaters, but not massive ones.

As for political posts being allowed contrary to the rules of the forum: I guess that's what forum members want. If they were stopped altogether the forum might die a slow death. I could understand someone objecting to political posts if they had no interest in politics themselves, especially if such posts were constantly taking over posts that started off being non political. Less understandable is someone complaining about political posts being allowed, when they regularly make political posts themselves.

I think the OP has a point. There is a bit of a perception that folks who buy some sort of boat, move it to London. clutter up the canals etc. are maybe not 'scum' but certainly its fair game to denigrate and criticise, maybe there are a few people, on boats and on land who would even use the 'S 'word. There are many people living in shop doorways, tents, cars, caravans, squats, terrible flats, boats, all the way up the ladder to stupidly expensive houses in London. Most of us are fortunate and good luck puts us somewhere in the average but if your luck puts you just a bit below average then you could find yourself being called all sorts of things.

5 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think the OP has a point. There is a bit of a perception that folks who buy some sort of boat, move it to London. clutter up the canals etc. are maybe not 'scum' but certainly its fair game to denigrate and criticise,

My own feelings are that any boater who complies with the rules and either takes a mooring, or, does 'move about a bit' is welcome on the waterways irrespective of them being a 'hobby boater' or a liveaboard.

What annoys me is those that DO clutter up the towpath with junk, reckon the world owes them something, and then fail to comply with the 'rules' - those I will criticise.

• Greenie 2

Liveaboard boaters aren't a new thing. Working boaters and often their families lived aboard for the majority of their time. Even though most had access to bankside property within the family they were still seen by the rest of society as scum to use the OPs term. So it's merely upholding a long established canal tradition. I'm not trying to make light of the issue but I do genuinely wonder if some of the same values exist with the neighbours of canal communities to this day.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

That's it ............….the solution now presents itself ……………………….. fill in all the canals, tarmac the surface and we will have a completely new interconnected road network to relive current congestion then build some schools, doctors surgeries, shops etc and then make it all affordable for everyone especially in London - CRT budgets would now be enough because there wouldn't be any maintenance except to look after the towpaths for push chairs and bikes - oh and I nearly forgot those of us who are retired and have earned the right to cruise and enjoy the system should presumably now disappear into sheltered housing so we aren't in the way. Mind you if we take the OP to the logical conclusion there wont be anywhere to moor for those who actually want to move anyway?

Well done 

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think the OP has a point. There is a bit of a perception that folks who buy some sort of boat, move it to London. clutter up the canals etc. are maybe not 'scum' but certainly its fair game to denigrate and criticise, maybe there are a few people, on boats and on land who would even use the 'S 'word. There are many people living in shop doorways, tents, cars, caravans, squats, terrible flats, boats, all the way up the ladder to stupidly expensive houses in London. Most of us are fortunate and good luck puts us somewhere in the average but if your luck puts you just a bit below average then you could find yourself being called all sorts of things.

I do hope you aren't making a connection between those sleeping in London's doorways through no fault of their own with those who buy £150k fat boats in the same area and then expect everything to go their way because they have rights!

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

It is absurd to suggest that there is more stigma attached to liveaboard status nowadays, going back 20 years there was a very definite attitude to living aboard from many leisure boaters and if you approached a marina or similar mooring provider, the response was often akin to insulting their mother! Also the relaxed attitude to living aboard on a long term/leisure mooring from Crt is a long way from the ducking and diving required to keep under the radar years ago. 

Still, the difference then was boaters were happy to dodge around and work within the tacit agreement without shouting the odds and demanding favours.

• Greenie 1