Looking for a marina nr. London

RichM

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a marina within commuting distance of London, suitable for a 55ft Narrowboat. In an ideal world I'd like to find somewhere with the feel of being tucked away in the countryside but within commuting distance of London. - if there is such a place. :)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

RichM

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Wharra' bout Reading?

Fast trains to London

or Shepperton (nearer but I dunno what connections are like

Thames prices so that'll dampen your underwear....

I think that from either of those there's a bit of a walk to the station, but the trains are rather different. A Shepperton train would cost less, but take longer because it stops quite a lot before reaching Waterloo, and it's only every half hour; Reading has faster and more frequent trains. Shepperton being the end of the line, you'd always get a seat in the morning.

Where in London do you want to end up?   You can save quite a lot if it is near a London rail terminus/station, so doesn't need an oyster card.

Pyrford marina is within a couple of miles of Byfleet & New Haw, for trains to Waterloo, and surprisingly rural for the south-east.

14 hours ago, RichM said:

I'm looking for a marina within commuting distance of London, suitable for a 55ft Narrowboat. In an ideal world I'd like to find somewhere with the feel of being tucked away in the countryside but within commuting distance of London. - if there is such a place. :)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

RichM

Residential or leisure?

28 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Where in London do you want to end up?   You can save quite a lot if it is near a London rail terminus/station, so doesn't need an oyster card.

Pyrford marina is within a couple of miles of Byfleet & New Haw, for trains to Waterloo, and surprisingly rural for the south-east.

Agreed, but I’ve heard Pyrford are aggressively non-residential. 

Harefield are great and a very rural spot, you can also walk to Denham station and be in central London in 45 mins (including the walk). Think they have a fair few residential boats but I was only there as a visitor so unsure of the situation with residents