Patronage

Tumshie

Featured Posts

When a member of the forum makes a donation to the site we get a little yellow star, I assume the star stays with us for a year after we made the payment and that we can make payments as often as we like, but....

My questions are how long do the stars stay with us and if the do wink out after a year will they just cease to be or will we get an email to tell us it's time to pay up?

It's not that I'm really vain about the star but I may need a reminder to remembers :blush:

Edited by Tumshie

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.

When this blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, through the night.

Then the traveller in the dark
Thanks you for your tiny spark;
He could not see where to go,
If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,
And often through my curtains peep,
For you never shut your eye
Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark
Lights the traveller in the dark,
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Athy said:

It's probably over a year since I last contributed, and the wee star still appears beside my avatar, so I'm not sure that it does have a time limit.

Ooops I better go check my bank statements then. 

This is a good question; They were introduced when we replaced our previous donation system as a way of showing a small token of our appreciation to those who donate to Canal World. At present, they do not expire as such however the question remains; "How long should they remain for?" While we greatly appreciate every single penny donated to Canal World, on the same token, is it fair or reasonable to consider someone a Patron if they have not made a donation in let's say 1, 2 or more years?  This is not at all to suggest or imply that we expect or demand donations from our members but the fact of the matter is that our very existence is wholly dependant on them.

The truth is our operating costs are incurred on a monthly basis. As such, we need regular donations to keep us afloat. At present, we only receive sufficient funding in the form of donations when we run a donation campaign, which we run approximately twice a year. It's likely at some point we will change the model to encourage more frequent donations as to ensure the operation of this site remains financially viable for the foreseeable. However, if we were to pursue this it would need to be mutually beneficial not only to Canal World but also to its members. 

Spike Milligan's version.

Twinkle twinkle little star

How I wonder what you are

Up above the world so high

Like a diamond in the sky.

Twinkle twinkle little star

Now I know just what you are

A lump of rusting rocket case

Hurtling round in outer space.

Edited by bizzard

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
And stops my mind from wandering
Where it will go
I'm filling the cracks that ran through the door
And kept my mind from wandering
Where it will go
And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong.
See the people standing there who disagree and never win
And wonder why they don't get in my door
I'm painting my room in the colourful way
And when my mind is wandering
There I will go
And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong.
Silly people run around they worry me
And never ask me why they don't get past my door
I'm taking the time for a number of things
That weren't important yesterday
And I still go
I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
And stops my mind from wandering
Where it will go

Lennon/McCartney

I looked to the sky
Where an elephant's eye
Was looking at me
From a bubblegum tree
And all that I knew
The hole in my shoe
Was letting in water (letting in water)

I walked through a field 
That just wasn't real
Where 100 tin soldiers
Would shoot at my shoulder
And all that I knew
The hole in my shoe

(I climbed on the back of a giant albatross
Which flew through a crack in the cloud
To a place where happiness reigned all year round
Where music played ever so loudly)

I started to fall 
And suddenly woke
And the dew on the grass
It stuck to my coat
And all that I knew
The hole in my shoe

Traffic

16 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've just noticed that 'contributor' has changed to 'patron'.  When did contribution become patronage?  It must be very recent.  And rather pretentious.

A month or so ago. "Contributor" was in someways misleading given that everyone who posts on Canal World is contributing in one way or another. The change to "Patron" was only intended to be a more accurate term to reflect what it represents. Equally, it is not intended to represent or assert any form of status. Many forums do something similar, although they may base it around other attributes such as posts counts, length of membership, reputation count etc etc. So in that respect we're not doing anything out of the ordinary. :)

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I know I am odd and as yet haven't contributed to the forum financially, but things like yellow stars and contributor are more likely to put me off then be encouraged to donate.

Thanks for your feedback though I must point out it's optional. If someone doesn't want it they can remove it on request, there is no obligation. It's just intended as a small token of appreciation, nothing more. That aside it's very likely we will need to change the whole model at some point anyway.

31 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've just noticed that 'contributor' has changed to 'patron'.  When did contribution become patronage?  It must be very recent.  And rather pretentious.

The word patron does mean giving financial support so it is used in the correct context. It makes me feel all warm. ?

16 minutes ago, RichM said:

That aside it's very likely we will need to change the whole model at some point anyway.

Can I ask why - the short answer would be to raise more money, but what is it about this method of fund raising that's not working and in what way do you need to change it?

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Patrontious, surely?