Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My goal is to make a good crusty white loaf like you get in the local bakers that are all disappearing.

They are all disappearing because they sell so quickly - the answer is to get up earlier!

(I'm just jealous because my bag hasn't damned well turned up!)

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

(I'm just jealous because my bag hasn't damned well turned up!)

This is a whole nother problem developing with eBay. China sellers have found a way to list their products as a uk sale to fool you and me, which then takes a month to arrive. This is exactly what happened with my dough bag too. 

Making the perfect great white is proving to be an elusive beast. (no shark puns thankyou) 

I reckon you need more air, like those aero chocolate bars i used to get. There must be hundreds of aero air machines to be had second hand these days.

If you could get one, install it next to your whispa gen. If the bread business doesn't take off, you could transform yourself to "Mike the Chocolatiere". Nigella would be proud. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Making the perfect great white is proving to be an elusive beast. (no shark puns thankyou) 

Yes. Making a brown loaf is easy. Proper fluffy well risen white like you get in a baker shop is FAR more difficult. All the suggestions about using wholemeal or brown flour are no help with this goal, but thanks to those making them anyway. 

What is the name for the white inside body of a loaf? No one knows!! I’m sure there must be a name or a term for it. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is a whole nother problem developing with eBay. China sellers have found a way to list their products as a uk sale to fool you and me, which then takes a month to arrive. This is exactly what happened with my dough bag too. 

You're right.

Dear Friend, we velly solly, item soon come. Best legards.  Johnny.... from Manchester.

• Haha 2

Just now, Sea Dog said:

You're right.

Dear Friend, we velly solly, item soon come. Best legards.  Johnny.... from Manchester.

Exactly. I have several conversations like this running right now. 

13 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

Low carb diet has reversed husband;s type 2 diabetes

I tried a no starchy carb diet for 6 months. I decided I'd rather have Type 2 diabetes than spend the rest of my life without roast potatoes, bacon sarnies, macaroni cheese... Plus I had no energy and felt rotten. The lack of alcohol was no problem - we gave up alcohol about 8 years ago. So I'll carry on taking the 5 tablets a day, keeping my blood pressure and weight under control and eating the food I enjoy.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is the name for the white inside body of a loaf? No one knows!! I’m sure there must be a name or a term for it. 

I have only ever heard it called crumb by such people as Paul Hollywood.

OK, this here youtube video is for absolute beginners, it explains the how and the why.

One way, or another way, you need to get your dough to that glossy springy consistency as at about 11.33

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. Making a brown loaf is easy. Proper fluffy well risen white like you get in a baker shop is FAR more difficult. All the suggestions about using wholemeal or brown flour are no help with this goal, but thanks to those making them anyway. 

i think you’re always going to struggle using pre-made mixes, you need to experiment to find the ratio that works for you and your setup using your own ingredients, possibly more yeast and more kneading.

took me ages to get used to our new fan oven at home, until i worked out i needed to drop the recipe temps by at least 20deg even the ones that stated fan oven temps. placement will also factor in eg. top, middle or bottom of oven.

• Greenie 1

Read a book several years ago by a doctor called 'Wheat Belly' (the book not the doc) - in it he tells that Monsanto changed (genetically - in secret) wheat which now has a shorter stalk, more seeds, grows better in droughts, has a resistance to fungus, etc., and the gene count of the modern wheat variety has gone from about 12 genes, to 50 (don't quote me on the figures, but the gist is there). This doctor makes a claim that this is why we've got fatter, suffer from diabetes, etc.

I bought a bag of Spelt flour (£1.50 ish from Tesco) a couple of weeks ago to try it out, TBH I forgot about it. Next time I bake I'll have a go. Packet says: "Spelt, triticum speltum, was widely grown in Roman times. It is an ancestor of modern wheat and its genetic heritage is a cross of wild grasses and early cultivated cereals". 

Mike, do you think the bag of 'ready mixed' flour is designed specifically for bread makers? Just a thought, I've not tried a packet.

BTW my bag took 6 weeks to arrive too. Luckily it went to my sister-in-law's address, otherwise, I might never have got it.

Edited by Jennifer McM

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Read a book several years ago by a doctor called 'Wheat Belly' (the book not the doc) - in it he tells that Monsanto changed the way (genetically - in secret) wheat which now has a shorter stalk, more seeds, grows better in droughts, has a resistance to fungus, etc., and the gene count of the modern wheat variety has gone from about 12 genes, to 50 (don't quote me on the figures, but the gist is there). This doctor makes a claim that this is why we've got fatter, suffer from diabetes, etc.

My grandmother had Type 2 diabetes (we only found out when she died in her late 70s, it had never been diagnosed), my father had Type 2 diabetes. I was told that when I was about 45 I'd develop it too, which I did. Genetic or hereditary diabetes. Not much I could have done to avoid it. 

36 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

I tried a no starchy carb diet for 6 months. I decided I'd rather have Type 2 diabetes than spend the rest of my life without roast potatoes, bacon sarnies, macaroni cheese... Plus I had no energy and felt rotten. The lack of alcohol was no problem - we gave up alcohol about 8 years ago. So I'll carry on taking the 5 tablets a day, keeping my blood pressure and weight under control and eating the food I enjoy.

i have a chronic medical problem and my dietician says I must only eat white bread as wholemeal aint good for me 😁 which is great cos wholemeal bread for bacon sarnies should be a criminal offence. Also I am advised to drink WINE as that is also good for me 😂 Lifes a bitch innitt.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

i have a chronic medical problem and my dietician says I must only eat white bread as wholemeal aint good for me 😁 which is great cos wholemeal bread for bacon sarnies should be a criminal offence. Also I am advised to drink WINE as that is also good for me 😂 Lifes a bitch innitt.

Only White wine though Mr Smelly!

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

wholemeal bread for bacon sarnies should be a criminal offence

Agree 100%. Also cheese on toast, and toast with jam/marmalade/marmite. 

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

White bread (well commercially made white bread) should be a criminal offence, you might as well eat slices of cotton wool.

28 minutes ago, Jerra said:

White bread (well commercially made white bread) should be a criminal offence, you might as well eat slices of cotton wool.

I'd rather pay 85p for a white sliced loaf from the supermarket that's perfect for bacon sarnies and still great for toast after 3/4 days, than pay at least £2.50 for a loaf from our "proper" bakery that's rock hard 10 minutes after I get home.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

I'd rather pay 85p for a white sliced loaf from the supermarket that's perfect for bacon sarnies and still great for toast after 3/4 days, than pay at least £2.50 for a loaf from our "proper" bakery that's rock hard 10 minutes after I get home.

The simple answer is seen in the thread  above make your own fresh as and when you need it.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The simple answer is seen in the thread  above make your own fresh as and when you need it.

I make my own bread but I have to say I luurvvv plastic white bread such as Warburtons etc etc 😁

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

For a crispy crust, at least milk wash or better still egg wash the top.

Yes, or have a dabble with a saltwater wash, experiment.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

We have two slices of bread each on Sunday - bacon sarnie day. I might have a couple of slices of toast one morning or evening during the week. I'm not going to make a loaf of bread to use four slices. I'm not going to get up in the evening and make a loaf of bread because I fancy a couple of slices of toast. I can buy a sliced loaf from the supermarket that will keep fresh in the bread bin, so there's bread available  on the infrequent occasions I want it. I'm a Type 2 diabetic and limit my intake of starchy carb.

Edited by DaveandDebby

1 minute ago, DaveandDebby said:

We have two slices of bread each on Sunday - bacon sarnie day. I might have a couple of slices of toast one morning or evening during the week. I'm not going to make a loaf of bread to use four slices. I'm not going to get up in the evening and make a loaf of bread because I fancy a couple of slices of toast. I can buy a sliced loaf from the supermarket that will keep fresh in the bread bin, so there's bread available whenever I want it.

Fine assuming you are happy with the Chorleywood process and all the additives involved.   One of the main reasons I bake all our bread is because of the effect the Chorleywood process has on my wife's digestive tract.   Artisan or home made bread fine Chorleywood gives problems.

There are reasons the bread stays fresh and doesn't mould for so long - all the additives.

Each to their own I suppose but as this thread shows more and more people are turning away from commercial bread to artisan and/or making their own.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Fine assuming you are happy with the Chorleywood process and all the additives involved.   One of the main reasons I bake all our bread is because of the effect the Chorleywood process has on my wife's digestive tract.   Artisan or home made bread fine Chorleywood gives problems.

There are reasons the bread stays fresh and doesn't mould for so long - all the additives.

Each to their own I suppose but as this thread shows more and more people are turning away from commercial bread to artisan and/or making their own.

I don't think two slices of bread (on average) a week is going to cause me much harm. As well as my diabetes, Dave is yeast intolerant, artisan/home made bread causes him as many problems as supermarket bread.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks Bizz. Crust is fine and crusty at this stage. The problem is the dense and poorly risen white but inside. What is the name for the fluffy inside ‘body’ of a loaf, anyone??

As Bruce suggests, I’ll get an oven thermometer as the inside seems undercooked. 

The inside is the “crumb”. Look for an oven thermometer with the probe on a fine armoured cable so that the rest of the beast is outside, much easier to use.