Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Is it hand cranked with a reversing knob?

No. Eeeeeeeeejt. That's the sewing machine that Mrs Bob uses to sew together bits of silicone she gets from the local council tip and sells the finished bags at vast expense to somebody in the food industry.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No. Eeeeeeeeejt. That's the sewing machine that Mrs Bob uses to sew together bits of silicone she gets from the local council tip and sells the finished bags at vast expense to somebody in the food industry.

:clapping:

Sorry. Run out of funnies.You'll have to settle for the clap!

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

:clapping:

Sorry. Run out of funnies.You'll have to settle for the clap!

Oh God. You havent gone and got that have you?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

At what stage in your esteemed opinion did it need more working? Before bunging it on the shelf for half an hour? Or after?

After mixing the dry ingredients together (flour, salt, yeast) add the liquid. Then knead it, gently at first, then go for it!  When it's stopped being sticky, leave it to rise.

Give it another kneed after it's risen to knock it back down to size, tip it out of the bag on a floured area and shape it to what you want, rolls, or the shape of the bread tin. 

Cover while it rises, remove the cover, and put into a hot oven.  As Lady G says, it's cooked when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.

Edited by Jennifer McM

i ordered one as it sounded a reasonable idea and was only a couple of quid.

it arrived two days after i got the hard word from the Doc about blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol and the wife put me on a no carbs diet ☹️

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

it arrived two days after i got the hard word from the Doc about blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol and the wife put me on a no carbs diet ☹️

Not sure how a 'no carbs' diet can possibly be good for you.

No refined carbs perhaps but no carbs at all? Do you agree with this? And does the doc? 

43 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No refined carbs perhaps but no carbs at all? Do you agree with this? And does the doc? 

Yes you can live without carbs.... seriously. We can't live without fat, or protein obviously. Athletes are dropping carbs for performance. See Prof Tim Noakes on Youtube.

5 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Made without a drain on the batteries.... and with minimum mess. There's hardly any washing up either.

DSC00479.jpbread1g.jpg.fc519b17b9a3a08821ab827f0e443b52.jpgbread2.jpg.5895bf321e4c7f89c2df069d2e6d13d0.jpgbread3.jpg.7c195410be5d0a08f870070d1aac7e91.jpgbread4.jpg.4dc8de1c77c3078ce785cd55c7b7719c.jpg

What time are you expecting me for that toast?

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

What time are you expecting me for that toast?

After Strictly lol

Edited by Jennifer McM

I usually bake my own bread at home. I haven't yet done it on a boat, but see no point in using a bag, it's just something else to wash up. As has been said, if the dough sticks too much to your hands, you're using too much water. I put 1kg of flour (250g multi-grain, 750g plain) in a big bowl, stir in a little salt, yeast and oil, then 500ml of water, and find that will turn out onto the floured worktop well, and not stick too much as I knead it. Sometimes it's a little too sticky and I add some extra flour, sometimes too crumbly and I add water. Then I put the dough in a heavy iron pot which has been pre-heated in the oven and smeared with some butter, and leave it in a warm place (back in the oven, now turned off) for an hour or two to rise. The yeast will work faster the warmer it gets, so if you bung it in the fridge it would take ages. I think the ideal is for the dough to be at about 30-35C, and if it gets too hot the yeast dies, as indeed it will when you bake the loaf.

Mike's bread looks to me as if it wasn't mixed thoroughly enough, and was baked at too high a temperature hence having a crust but looking a bit underdone inside, but would still be OK to eat. I reckon on baking for 10 minutes at 200C then another 40 minutes at 150C

I forgot to mention that I use some sugar too; a level dessert spoon each of salt, sugar and dried yeast go in together.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Low carb diet has reversed husband;s type 2 diabetes

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

'Low carb' is completely different from 'no carb', shirley?

Exactly 

Phil 

Correct.

But those of us with a brain knew what was meant and worked it out.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

'Low carb' is completely different from 'no carb', shirley?

Yes but alcohol is a carb and he wasn’t about to give up everything!

Carbs aren’t necessary, you can get the calorie you need from fat an protein but not so quickly which is better for blood sugar and insulin levels

As the family cook it was difficult at first to get my head around making a meal without a carb element it Tom Kerridge’s book “Dopamine Diet” helped. He lost 12 stone on it. Now we frequently have meals without carbs, by which I mean pasta, bread, rice, cous cous etc

2 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Now we frequently have meals without carbs, by which I mean pasta, bread, rice, cous cous etc

Eh?

But those ingrediments are ALL carbohydrate!!

Oh that's ambiguous. I see what you mean....

Anyway I'm having another bash at bread now. Another Co-Op bread kit but with proportionally less water, to match Jennifer's proportions. And a glug of olive oil. It already seems less inclined to stick to the bag.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman