Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Mike the Boilerman

Dough bag review

Featured Posts

Ok so the silicone dough-mixing bag Jennifer mention on here ages ago has finally arrived (took three weeks!!) and I'm having a bash at using it to make some bread. I forgot to take a photo before loading it with a 500g packet bread mix from Co-Op and 320ml of water, but here is a photo after, and having tied the neck of the bag with the stretchy silicone bag provided.

D6734B9A-359C-4F67-AE92-26F51F1FD827.jpeg

The bag came with no instructions or literature whatsoever so I'm trying to broadly follow the hand-making instructions on the bread mix packet. So now I've mixed up the flour and water mix inside for five minutes as instructed, left it to rest for five minutes, then kneaded and stretched it as best I can inside the bag for two minutes, again as instructed. It still feels like a bagfull of water and flour. Here's a pic...

EFDCA357-5F38-4E40-9694-448ED12E5413.jpeg

Next, the instructions on the bread pack say rest for a further five minutes then put it into a bread tin and cover with cling fillum or a damp cloth and leave to rise in a warm plaice for 40 minutes. I think I'll just leave it in the bag.  

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think you stream a live broadcast of this event! 

I don't think it would prove very popular.

• Haha 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Here it is, in the Warm Plaice. A shelf over the stove by the top of the stove flue...

972FFCF1-FE0F-4CDB-B2D5-A6D453ABB5E7.jpeg

You put it in a fish? 

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think you stream a live broadcast of this event! 

Live streaming I think would be a bit tricky by myself. Someone to point the cameraphone is essential in my limited experience of it. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Live streaming I think would be a bit tricky by myself. Someone to point the cameraphone is essential in my limited experience of it. 

....... Well, Nigella manages it! 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I hope you have a big oven. That looks massive 

Its 500g. Same size as all the other loaf kits I've made. 

The thing is like a giant condom....

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

....... Well, Nigella manages it! 

Does she? How?!

• Haha 1

Strangely enough, I’ve just been trying mine out for the first time. I start with the separate ingredients as I  like to ring the changes. Main problems: judging the right amount of liquid and getting a good knead going. In the end I tipped it out and finished kneading in the usual way.

Next time, I’ll try doing it all in the bag.

Look forward to hearing your results, Mike.

Edited by BruceinSanity
Typo
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Main problems: judging the right amount of liquid and getting a good knead going. In the end I tipped it out and finished kneading in the usual way.

Surely the whole point of the bag is to avoid doing this. I've never succeeded in "getting a good knead going". It always sticks to by hands, the board, in fact everything within a metre of the workspace. What's your secret? Is the bag not really necessary?

My bag is growing alarmingly. Should I untie the top perhaps?!

D449C781-BB24-4610-9124-8CFEB3E7EF37.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Surely the whole point of the bag is to avoid doing this. I've never succeeded in "getting a good knead going". It always sticks to by hands, the board, in fact everything within a metre of the workspace. What's your secret? Is the bag not really necessary?

Thats looking good innitt. I use a bread machine but may get a bag for a laugh. do keep us informed ?

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My bag is growing alarmingly. Should I untie the top perhaps?

I told ya its gonna be a Whopper!

I've ordered one a few weeks ago but it will be a while before I get back to Wales to pick it up so this is entertaining. 

Your point about the kneed not working is curious and I suggest part of your bread making woes, properly worked it shouldn't stick to your hands and feel almost dry and I takes more than 5 minutes. 

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Your point about the kneed not working is curious and I suggest part of your bread making woes, properly worked it shouldn't stick to your hands and feel almost dry and I takes more than 5 minutes. 

Maybe he should get some silicone gloves!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Stand by your beds! Mrs Bob's just read this thread...and the duck. She reckons you need to need it more. 5 mins not enough.......and not to put it somewhere hot. It proves much better at cooler temps. If you multiply avogadro's number by the molecular weight and divide by the height above the stove, you will find that your 850g of total mix will generate a huge amount of CO2.....which will damage the planet....and expand the bag to around 26.237 Litres at 29.7°C. Mrs Bob reckons put it at the back of the boat where it is nice and cold.

Mrs Bob uses a Thermomix to make bread. No silicone involved.

• Haha 2

Crumbs...... 

Did mention not to trust the silly clip. I've been experimenting, and if I may say so, think I've got it just right.

600g strong flour (cheap as chips)

3 teaspoons of dried yeast

about 4 teaspoons of salt

Put the above in the bag, clasp the neck tight, and 'massage' (for want of a better word) to stop the flour exploding out all over the place.

Then I weigh... (cos I can't see the writing on the measuring jug very well) 300g of water (blood heat, not hot, and not cold) or 300 mls of water

Tip the water into the bag with a good glug of olive oil.

Hold the neck tightly while the liquid soaks into the flour mixture. Then knead the mixture. It takes about 5 minutes until the dough leaves the sides of the bag clean.

Leave the dough in the bag until it rises (about half to an hour). Knead the dough again, then tip onto a floured surface, shape and put it into a greased bread tin. Cover the dough with a sheet of cling film to stop it drying out.

Put into a hot oven, bake until the loaf comes out of the tin easily. Knock the base of the loaf, and it should sound sort of sound hollow.

The mixture makes a small loaf, and 4 naan breads / or a small loaf and a pizza base.

Practice makes perfect :)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Crumbs...... 

Hold the neck tightly while the duck....

I tried this but he didnt take to it.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well that's lively!  I can see the air bubbles.

Ok.Call me Mr thicky Mc thicky if you will, but what is the purpose of the silicone bag? I know it would be messy without one:)

Mrs Rusty mixes the flour, water,yeast and salt in a kenwood chef, sticks it in bread tins, then lobs it in the heated oven.

Edited by rusty69

5 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

until the dough leaves the sides of the bag clean.

Lol!!!

This is the inside of my bag, after leaving it on the shelf as per the instructions on the bread kit bag:

309BC276-267F-4B43-8CD2-346B28C59785.jpeg

So I elected to wring out the bag into the bread tin...

Sign in to follow this