Central heating on a wide beam

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Ian LAMBLEY said:

I am fitting out a new wide beam and was wondering if anyone knows if you can use the manifold system for the central heating 

Presumably you mean microbore pipes and manifolds for flow and return. 

Yes you can provided you have the power source for the higher power pump needed to push enough water through the tiny pipes. Not a problewm if you are planning to stay permanently in a marina and/or on shore power, but not practical if you want it to work when out cruising.

• Greenie 1

My Eberspacher system has those JG Speedfit 4 port manifolds fitted midships, spurring out in 10mm pipe to the adjacent radiators. It works fine, but it's not recommended by Eberspacher themselves.  I'd certainly not have chosen to do it this way, but since it works perfectly well I can't justify the work involved to "correct" it. Given a blank canvas as you have, I'd absolutely listen to our resident Boilerman and avoid manifolds.

Having drained down and flushed my system yesterday, I'd also recommend you fit dedicated  valves for such a purpose! ;)

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Having drained down and flushed my system yesterday, I'd also recommend you fit dedicated  valves for such a purpose! ;)

Why did it need draining and flushing?

And yes one can never have too many isolating valves on a heating system!

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why did it need draining and flushing?

I had to replace a rusting chrome towel rail and there was 'orrible brown stuff in there, so I drained and flushed whilst I was at it.  Actually, it turned out the rest of the system was pretty clean, so the cleaner I bought can go back to Screwfix.  I've now gone for the central heating inhibitor with antifreeze, so I know I can add the right (compatible) inhibitor as required in future. I wasn't confident I'd have the right stuff to do that with automotive antifreeze.  Would you agree with that course of action Mike?