Prop size

rusty69

Featured Posts

It has been bought to my attention that all these years, i have been woefully undersized. What size should i have? I will measure my spare tomorrow. 

Mrs Rusty has never complained before that it is too small. Now i am a bit worried. 

70 ft boat. 

r.jpg.dd1810b5eeb96042ba45ff258fcb6e77.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

How do we know that isn't quite a big prop, but quite far away? ;)

The right size prop isn't necessarily the biggest one that fits in on the space available Rusty. You need to put your parameters into a prop calc.

Ok, I'll give this a go when i can figure out the input data 

https://www.vicprop.com/displacement_size.php

Does your boat pull max revs very easily in deep water?  Do you feel like it's revving too fast when you're bimbling along at canal cruising speeds? Are you suspicious about your fuel consumption?  Are folk (other than that batty woman just up from the junction) always shouting "slow down - I've taken your number!" at you, even when you go as slowly as you can? 

If the above do not apply, don't get all concerned and depressed because someone on the internet has seen your a photo of your screwing apparatus and told you it's too small. 18 inches is about average so, whilst others here may have bigger ones, don't let that make you feel inadequate. 

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Does your boat pull max revs very easily in deep water?  Do you feel like it's revving too fast when you're bimbling along at canal cruising speeds? Are you suspicious about your fuel consumption?  Are folk (other than that batty woman just up from the junction) always shouting "slow down - I've taken your number!" at you, even when you go as slowly as you can? 

If the above do not apply, don't get all concerned and depressed because someone on the internet has seen your a photo of your screwing apparatus and told you it's too small. 18 inches is about average so, whilst others here may have bigger ones, don't let that make you feel inadequate. 

There have been some shouts, I must admit whilst at tickover speed, but it may just be the Batty ole woman up the junction.Mostly not though.Certainly not when Mrs Rusty is steering, cos she slows down about 1/4 mile before reaching any moored boats.

It seems to push along happily on canals and rivers, so I think I will leave it. Its probably fine.

Thanks Sea Dog.

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

5.4 mm. That was the survey we had, just before I met you!

Ok. When we met I'm pretty sure you were of the male persuasion. Have you had gender reassignment surgery since then or are you just self-declaring on the forum? Apparently we can choose now!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Your rudder is quite a distance from the prop - compared to mine (below) anyway. That vertical skeg support you've got seems a bit unusual on a NB.

DSC00349 - Copy.JPG

I see what you mean. I guess the support is there due to the "flimsy" skeg.Its not a sectioned piece of steel as I have seen on others.

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Ok. When we met I'm pretty sure you were of the male persuasion. Have you had gender reassignment surgery since then or are you just self-declaring on the forum? Apparently we can choose now!

He was definitely of the female persuasion when I met him canoodling in his rubber suit.

Image result for miss whiplash