Extending flue of an Alde Comfort 2923.

pete.i

Featured Posts

I have bought a boat with a friend of mine. She would like the back deck covered but the flue from the Alde boiler protrudes through the roof under what, at the moment, is a kind of open bimini cover. I have said that we cannot cover that area completely, and in fact even the amount of cover at present is probably too much, because exhaust gasses from the boiler, including CO, would accumulate under the cover. As I see it we have two options. Get rid of the Alde boiler and install a small multifuel stove at the front of the boat. This is my preferred option but is expensive. My friend has asked me if we could extend the flue pipe so that it exits from the top of the bimini cover. I have no idea whether this can be done nor what the cost would be if it can be done although I would expect it to be significantly cheaper than installing a stove.

Does anybody know if the flue extension route can be done or are we going to have to bite the bullet and put a stove in, which is what I would much prefer. I, hopefully, have included a couple pictures that show the present location of the flue outlet. Apologies for the blurred close up I was hoping it would show the location a bit clearer but probably not.

The boat is a 32 foot standard narrow boat and the boiler is now discontinued by Alde.

Lillibet heater exhaust ringed2.jpg

Arrow showing location of exhaust.jpg

11 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Does anybody know if the flue extension route can be done

Aldi will know, and specifications for the flue will be detailed in the boiler manual. If not, then a phone call to Aldi technical support should yield a proper answer that can be shown to the next BSS examiner.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Aldi will know, and specifications for the flue will be detailed in the boiler manual. If not, then a phone call to Aldi technical support should yield a proper answer that can be shown to the next BSS examiner.

On the other hand, a phone call to ALDE technical support might yield a better answer!

• Haha 2

All sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

The present siting of the flue so near to the rear doors is bad to start with, covering it with anything even a canvas tent is a no-no. Is the bedroom at the rear? If so I would not sleep in it with the flue there and the Alde burning.

If you make it higher, consider low bridges.

Ask Alde certainly, I think the answer will be no. Altering any gas burning appliance flue is not allowed, it has to be installed according to the makers instructions as that is what the approval certificate was based on.

You must be very wealthy to afford the gas for an Alde.

How old is the heater? If it is of a fair age and will need repair soon, cut your losses and fit a real boat stove up front, or central even better.

• Greenie 2