Are the canals unpleasantly overcrowded ?

yabasayo

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

The stretch between March and Whittlesey was about 9 miles if I remember right, and along the whole stretch I don't remember there being a single place I could pull over and answer the increasingly strident calls of nature that were caused by drinking several large mugs of coffee before setting off.

Why do you need to pull over? There are so few boats moving on the Middle Level you could just stop in the middle of the channel and let the boat drift while you answer a call of nature.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Why do you need to pull over? There are so few boats moving on the Middle Level you could just stop in the middle of the channel and let the boat drift while you answer a call of nature.

I did use this method when things got particularly desperate, but last August there were some boats moving (not lots, but some), and either way its not an ideal method. The current and/or the wind start to take the boat within a minute or so, so you cant approach the proceedings in a leisurely fashion.

Rather than delve further into the detail of how individuals conduct their ablutions (and I did use other methods- involving receptacles, for example), lets just say that 9 miles between moorings is not ideal when single handing, if you're partial to a few large mugs of coffee in the morning. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

I did use this method when things got particularly desperate, but last August there were some boats moving (not lots, but some), and either way its not an ideal method. The current and/or the wind start to take the boat within a minute or so, so you cant approach the proceedings in a leisurely fashion.

Anchor?  Mud weight?  Tree? 

Just sayin'

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Is that normal for August ?

It seems to becoming the norm just about everywhere unfortunately.  It's not helped by the CRT failure to cut back the weed growth and mow the growth that is hiding the edge for many miles. 

It does get busier here in the summer  but  busy is  a relative term. 

I have seen nothing exceptional  in terms of boat traffic this year and expect it will be quiet this weekend as the weather forecast  is not great .

23 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

It seems to becoming the norm just about everywhere unfortunately.  It's not helped by the CRT failure to cut back the weed growth and mow the growth that is hiding the edge for many miles. 

Surely only on the most popular stretches of canal? If you go where everyone else wants to go at peak periods (e.g. Llangollen in summer) this shouldn't be surprising, these were always busy and probably worse still this year. There are plenty of less busy canals -- especially up north -- where there is no such problem.

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Surely only on the most popular stretches of canal? If you go where everyone else wants to go at peak periods (e.g. Llangollen in summer) this shouldn't be surprising, these were always busy and probably worse still this year. There are plenty of less busy canals -- especially up north -- where there is no such problem.

I intend migrating north come October.  I'm fed up having to claim a mooring before noon. 

1 minute ago, Idle Days said:

I intend migrating north come October.  I'm fed up having to claim a mooring before noon. 

What's keeping you where  you are  ?

18 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Rather than delve further into the detail of how individuals conduct their ablutions (and I did use other methods- involving receptacles, for example), lets just say that 9 miles between moorings is not ideal when single handing, if you're partial to a few large mugs of coffee in the morning. 

On the ML just let it drift against the side and stop, we would cruise for days and not see a boat

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

On the ML just let it drift against the side and stop, we would cruise for days and not see a boat

Good advice except when there's a howling cross-wind (which is often) Getting a boat which is pinned to the side by a gale back into the middle of the channel and moving fast enough to avoid being blown back is non-trivial single-handed.

MP.

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

Good advice except when there's a howling cross-wind (which is often) Getting a boat which is pinned to the side by a gale back into the middle of the channel and moving fast enough to avoid being blown back is non-trivial single-handed.

MP.

Especially on a bend going the wrong way to use it to your advantage.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Idle Days said:

Where are you having to do that?  We are on the Llangollen and we don’t do that and other than at Trevor we have been able to moor basically anywhere we want.

12 hours ago, john6767 said:

Where are you having to do that?  We are on the Llangollen and we don’t do that and other than at Trevor we have been able to moor basically anywhere we want.

Lucky you.  We found congestion on the Southern Oxford between Thrupp and about bridge 110 near Napton. 

2 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Lucky you.  We found congestion on the Southern Oxford between Thrupp and about bridge 110 near Napton. 

Dare I suggest that as someone accustomed to mooring on the K&A where oversized stakes and a gangplank are near-mandatory, I think you are being a bit of a wuss!

If you get yourself a gangplank and some decent mooring stakes you'll find there is miles of mooring space on the southern Oxford that the less capable boaters cannot/do not use. 

(I've been CCing about on this stretch for the last couple of months. :) )

4 hours ago, Idle Days said:

To be honest the South Oxford has large stretches where you can’t easily moor, where the Llangollen has perfect piling and immaculately mowed grass for most of its length, so plenty of opportunities.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Dare I suggest that as someone accustomed to mooring on the K&A where oversized stakes and a gangplank are near-mandatory, I think you are being a bit of a wuss!

If you get yourself a gangplank and some decent mooring stakes you'll find there is miles of mooring space on the southern Oxford that the less capable boaters cannot/do not use. 

(I've been CCing about on this stretch for the last couple of months. :) )

We have a gangplank and plenty of mooring pins that are essential, and frequently used equipment on the South Oxford. Without them mooring would be all but impossible in many sections. 

6 hours ago, Idle Days said:

We have a gangplank and plenty of mooring pins that are essential, and frequently used equipment on the South Oxford. Without them mooring would be all but impossible in many sections. 

My gangplank is in my garage: if I attempt to stop somewhere I need that to moor, the ship's dog won't go over it at any price so I'm moving on anyway! ;)

• Haha 1