STOLEN BOAT: from the Cowley area GU

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This always strikes me too. It’s never a £100k Hudson is it?! 

I think low value boats tend to be less securely locked, and thieves are not generally knowledgeable about which narrowboats are high in value, and take random opportunities to steal as they come up. 

probably because low value boats tend to be easy to sell on quickly at a stupidly low price without raising too many questions about why they are so cheap and also being a small value transaction are more likely to be paid in cash (leaving little / no trail)

which one raises more flags? and which one is more likely to be paid for with cash?

I need to sell my 18 foot shetland cruiser with outboard as I am buying a different boat and can't manage two boats £750 for a quick sale

or

I need to sell my 58 foot narrowboat  as I am buying a different boat and can't manage two boats £7500 for a quick sale

On 23/10/2018 at 17:37, ditchcrawler said:

There were a couple lifted from marinas last year if I remember corectly

A secure marina should have keypad entry and monitored cctv on the entry.

I also remember that a couple of boats were taken from marinas last year. In one case the ownner recalled chatting to somebody at a lock a giving details which could have helped the thief know when the boat was likely to be unattended. In at least one case the thief pretended to be a mechanic and was not challenged when he walked into the marina which did not appear to have any form of security on the entry.

Nothing can ever be totally secure but security at some marinas is, at the least, very poor.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Nothing can ever be totally secure but security at some marinas is, at the least, very poor.

Some? It may be location dependent - are they more secure in the London area? - but having visited quite a few marinas in the course of buying my boat I can only think of one other than the one my boat is now in where they even had a locked gate between public space and the jetties during daytime hours (actually despite thinking mine isn't that secure it seems it might be about the most secure of those I've visited!) All of the others I could just go and wander amongst the boats without anybody paying much attention - as indeed I did.