STOLEN BOAT: from the Cowley area GU

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

Does this mean that in 2 weeks somebody stole it, advertised it and sold it on to people who bought it off the towpath for cash and lacking a survey?

Was the Safety Certificate on board?  Or was that ignored I wonder.

Oh dear, good news for the owner but not the buyers.

9 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Does this mean that in 2 weeks somebody stole it, advertised it and sold it on to people who bought it off the towpath for cash and lacking a survey?

Was the Safety Certificate on board?  Or was that ignored I wonder.

At the moment with so many people turning to boats as a cheep form of accommodation rather than for a love of boats maybe this isn't so hard to believe. Some one desperate to fined somewhere secure to live might not realise they have to adhere to all these rules. Ignorance is no excuse for not following rules but it might be a reason - I mean if you were going to sell a stolen boat your best bet for success is to sell it to the least experienced person you could find. 

On the other hand, perhaps I’m being a bit naive but from reading the posts on here about stolen boats I thought 2 weeks was quite along time for a boat to be missing and I’m a bit surprised at how ‘successful’ this theft has been.

Are most thefts not returned pretty quickly?

I know when people talk of buying boats on the towpath the chance of one being stolen always gets a mentions but is this not actually quite rare?

10 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

On the other hand, perhaps I’m being a bit naive but from reading the posts on here about stolen boats I thought 2 weeks was quite along time for a boat to be missing and I’m a bit surprised at how ‘successful’ this theft has been.

As far as the thief is concerned it was very successful, he or she has walked away with the cash the 'buyer' paid for the boat. The loser is the poor devil who handed over their had earned cash for a new home on the canal.

• Greenie 1

without some form of centralised record of who owns which boat there will always be the chance that a boat for sale is not being sold by the owner (even through a broker)

creating a system that could handle everything (see below) would be fairly simple to do but would be fairly useless unless the vast majority of boat owners used it

off the top of my head it would take me less than a week to create a system that...
allows registering ownership of a boat recorded by CRT No or EA number (or any other number for an authority that doesn't spring to mind)
allows recording of other relevant information (name, type, size, colour, HIN, Engine No etc)
allows transferring of ownership between users of the system
allows messages to be sent to the recorded owner of a boat (without exposing their name or contact details)

problems to be addressed would be...

1st registration of a boat would have to be done "on trust"
there would be nothing stopping someone re-registering a boat with another authority to get a different number then registering on the system

13 minutes ago, Detling said:

As far as the thief is concerned it was very successful, he or she has walked away with the cash the 'buyer' paid for the boat. The loser is the poor devil who handed over their had earned cash for a new home on the canal.

I know, this is heart braking, isn't it.  I hope that the people who bought the boat can give enough information to the police for an arrest to be made, but I don't think they will get their money back. ?

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

I know, this is heart braking, isn't it.  I hope that the people who bought the boat can give enough information to the police for an arrest to be made, but I don't think they will get their money back. ?

Since they’ve been the victim of theft, will they be eligible for compensation?

4 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Oh, that's good. I wasn't very sure how that would work, but I'm glad they haven't lost out completely. 

Edited by Tumshie

5 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Not as far as I’m aware, no. Only violent crimes apply afaik. 

https://www.gov.uk/browse/justice/reporting-crimes-compensation

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Oh, that's good. I wasn't very sure how that would work, but I'm glad they haven't lost out completely. 

As I understand things, they have lost out completely. If the police are able to find the thief and the CPS successfully prosecute then, if the thief has any assets, they could ask the court for their money back. It’s unlikely in the extreme that all those things would happen. 

According to FB, the boat was sold to someone who "buys and sells boats for a living".  You'd have thought they'd have known enough to check ownership a bit deeper, though, again, I'm not sure how they'd go about it.

ETA though, if it's a business, they've probably got insurance cover for this kind of thing.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

12 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

The boat has been found, in Packet Boat Marina. The new 'owner' was unaware that it was stolen.

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

According to FB, the boat was sold to someone who "buys and sells boats for a living".  You'd have thought they'd have known enough to check ownership a bit deeper, though, again, I'm not sure how they'd go about it.

ETA though, if it's a business, they've probably got insurance cover for this kind of thing.

Which doesn't stack up at all with the original owner who reported the theft saying elsewhere on FaceBook....

She was in Packet Boat Marina, cleared out and gutted

If someone had thought they were buying the boat legitimately, and had then placed it in a marina, why woud they have cleared and gutted it?

A certain amount of misinformation is being passed around, I think.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Which doesn't stack up at all with the original owner who reported the theft saying elsewhere on FaceBook....

If someone had thought they were buying the boat legitimately, and had then placed it in a marina, why woud they have cleared and gutted it?

A certain amount of misinformation is being passed around, I think.

I got the impression that the thief had gutted it, then impersonated the original owner to sell it on to a dealer.  While you can't prove you own a boat, I'd have though you might be asked to prove who you are with some ID before being handed a few thousand quid.

You can't beat speculation and info from FB...

10 hours ago, Tumshie said:

At the moment with so many people turning to boats as a cheep form of accommodation rather than for a love of boats maybe this isn't so hard to believe. Some one desperate to fined somewhere secure to live might not realise they have to adhere to all these rules. Ignorance is no excuse for not following rules but it might be a reason - I mean if you were going to sell a stolen boat your best bet for success is to sell it to the least experienced person you could find. 

Are most thefts not returned pretty quickly?

I know when people talk of buying boats on the towpath the chance of one being stolen always gets a mentions but is this not actually quite rare?

If my boat was stolen the day I returned to the marina it could easily be 2 weeks before I knew it had gone

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

There is the MCA register but many chose not to use it.

That doesn't help if the buyer does not carry out any checks

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I just don't get why the stolen boat threads on here so often seem to feature very distinctive, low value boats.  

This always strikes me too. It’s never a £100k Hudson is it?! 

I think low value boats tend to be less securely locked, and thieves are not generally knowledgeable about which narrowboats are high in value, and take random opportunities to steal as they come up.