Can someone identify this boat please?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

This picture posted elsewhere shows a butty showing what I assume to be a gauging number of 12674.

However, unless I'm doing something daft, I can't immediately tie that number in to a particular boat.

Also the health registration would appear to either end in a 5 or 6.

Can somebody please tell me which boat this is, and I'll report it back to the person doing the asking, who is a descendant of Alf Best, the steerer pictured with two sons, John and Ron.

Alf Best Boats.jpg

14 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Not a butty. It is Badsey

Oops - yes of course it is!

I guess Badsey's butty must be inside of it and the picture taken across it, or even from it.

I shall have to see why I failed to find that gauge number in a machine searchable list.

Looks like I'm wrong about the final digit of the health registration as well - should be a 9?

Zero out of ten to me then!

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Looks like I'm wrong about the final digit of the health registration as well - should be a 9?

3 hours ago, canalboat said:

As 'canalboat' says 165 - the anomaly being BADSEY was health registered twice, first as Brentford 619 on 21 January 1937 (inspected 14 December 1936) and then as Rickmansworth 165 on 20 July 1937 (inspected 02 June 1937) :captain:

3 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

As 'canalboat' says 165 - the anomaly being BADSEY was health registered twice, first as Brentford 619 on 21 January 1937 (inspected 14 December 1936) and then as Rickmansworth 165 on 20 July 1937 (inspected 02 June 1937) :captain:

Yes,

I thought I had posted acknowledging ut was a double registration, but it seems I can't have actually hit the "submit" button.

The list I was scanning through only showed the initially allocated number.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

I'd plump for Brent Meadow wharf in the background, and is that Alf Best looking through a kaleidoscope?

Yes,

Surely Brentford?

My first post identified the steerer as Alf Best, and his sons John & Ron.