Setup of our boat and instant hot water taps ??

Peter009

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

Been thinking more about this, if an instant hot water tap was installed just for the bath and only used when on shore power can anyone see an issue with this, I have heard there are a few people that do use these but on shore power not while cruising anyone else using them on this forum ?

thanks

The bath will be cold by the time it fills up.   Most marinas the max is 16amp, that’s just over a kettle wattage worth.  Imagine using your kettle to fill up the bath and how slow that would be.

Now if you make that kettle bigger with better insulation you could heat all the water up first in the kettle and then use to fill the bath up all at once.     This is the best way to heat water with limited shore power.

Edited by Robbo

6 minutes ago, Robbo said:

The bath will be cold by the time it fills up.   Most marinas the max is 16amp, that’s just over a kettle wattage worth.  Imagine using your kettle to fill up the bath and how slow that is.

Now if you make that kettle bigger with better insulation you could heat the water and then use to fill the bath up all at once.     

I have seen this version link below, cant afford it at the moment but they use these on sailing boats I believe they are hugely expensive but just wondered if this would work 

https://www.gn-espace.com/yacht-galley-equipment/sinks-taps/quooker-taps/

1 minute ago, Peter009 said:

I have seen this version link below, cant afford it at the moment but they use these on sailing boats I believe they are hugely expensive but just wondered if this would work 

https://www.gn-espace.com/yacht-galley-equipment/sinks-taps/quooker-taps/

They work by heating water in a tank first, and the tank is a small size.  A calorfier is basically just a bigger version of them.

4 minutes ago, Robbo said:

They work by heating water in a tank first, and the tank is a small size.  A calorfier is basically just a bigger version of them.

Yup.

Have a read of this, too: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ask-a-money-expert/i-want-an-instant-boiling-water-tap--will-it-cost-more-than-usin/

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes interesting article think it is more of a gimmick than anything just wondered if anyone actually used these on this forum as well as doubt they are worth it

2 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

Yes interesting article think it is more of a gimmick than anything just wondered if anyone actually used these on this forum as well as doubt they are worth it

The only real way to get instant hot water on a boat is to use a gas boiler or a diesel combi boiler.

We seriously looked into getting a Quooker as having 3 teenagers in a Town-house meant that the house was always filled with kids and the electric kettle was always on the boil. In the end we settled on a Marco 10ltr boiler which is basically a large plumbed in kettle. It has proved to be a worthwhile investment but now two kids have buggered off to Bristol Uni and the youngest is on a gap year  it's uneconomical to keep a constant supply of hot water so it's back to a simple electric kettle.

7 hours ago, Peter009 said:

I installed the equivalent from Franke last year in the house kitchen refurb. It's fantastic not having to wait for hot water for drinks and cooking. Obviously i didn't install it on the basis of energy saving or water saving which would be nonsense,  its all about the convienience especially when cooking.

19 hours ago, Peter009 said:

Been thinking more about this, if an instant hot water tap was installed just for the bath and only used when on shore power can anyone see an issue with this, I have heard there are a few people that do use these but on shore power not while cruising anyone else using them on this forum ?

thanks

I thought you'd already accepted that a bath wasn't such a good idea? Is your wife still pressing for one? I'm afraid I've seen the fit out of a few good boats ruined by the wife's wish list. Baths that are never used and ripped out later, deep Butler style kitchen sinks which don't allow for gravity draining unless the skin fitting is just a couple of inches above the waterline, etc, etc... Do yourself a favour and don't let those who know nothing about boats decide how it's going to be fitted out.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I thought you'd already accepted that a bath wasn't such a good idea? Is your wife still pressing for one? I'm afraid I've seen the fit out of a few good boats ruined by the wife's wish list. Baths that are never used and ripped out later, deep Butler style kitchen sinks which don't allow for gravity draining unless the skin fitting is just a couple of inches above the waterline, etc, etc... Do yourself a favour and don't let those who know nothing about boats decide how it's going to be fitted out.

Just the alternative view :

We had a 40 foot NB with a shower, there was a 'wardrobe/cupboard' on the outside wall of the bathroom.

I removed the cupboard and the internal wall and installed a 4' bath. Webasto diesel heater provided all the hot water we could need and it was lovely to have a 'soak' (allbeit with knees under the chin) occasionally.

Ideal for washing off dirty, smelly dog and washing thru the 'smalls'.

Best thing I installed on the boat.

You don't need to have a bath every day, and pretty much every day you are travelling you pass a water point (or two) so topping up the tank is not an issue.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You don't need to have a bath every day, and pretty much every day you are travelling you pass a water point (or two) so topping up the tank is not an issue.

Really? I'm not sure where you are, but unless I'm getting confused between two different new members, Peter is heading for the congested southern GU where (if other members are to be believed) queuing for water points is now very much an issue.

Edited by blackrose

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Really? I'm not sure where you are,

At the time we were based on the Llangollen, so the Llangollen, Shropshire Union & T&M were our 'home' waterways.

We tend to spend a 'few minutes' every couple of days filling the water, emptying the cassette and disposing of rubbish - it certainly wasn't a 'problem'.

Been thinking more about this, if an instant hot water tap was installed just for the bath and only used when on shore power can anyone see an issue with this

I think it would rather depend on the quality of the shore-power, running the tap continuously to fill a bat would probably trip something.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Bats don’t usually like been fed from a tap either. :)

Even if they did, that’s not how these taps work. They don’t instantaneously raise cold tap water from 10C to 100C, they simply use a tank (calorifier if you like) to store the hot water. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Even if they did, that’s not how these taps work. They don’t instantaneously raise cold tap water from 10C to 100C, they simply use a tank (calorifier if you like) to store the hot water. 

Yup, I have one by Franke. The tank sits under a standard kitchen unit and stores very hot water at pressure such that it exits the tap at 100 degrees when the tap is opened. The heating element is 2.5kW (IIRC) and kicks in after water is drawn and intermittently to keep a ready supply. They claim it's more cost effective than boiling a kettle as you never boil more than you need only to leave the remainder in the kettle to go cold. I'm not so sure about that, but it is really convenient.  I wouldn't dream of having one on the boat though - having 2.5kw at 240 volts available 24/7 is not a requirement met easily by the electrical installation in most boats.

The control for the boiling water on the tap is child proof, so I guess bats (or most other British wildlife) would be safe too. ;)

• Greenie 1

Bloody bats are the pain of my life, we almost had to move out of our smallholding when the 'Bat Inspector' found we had insulated the roof-space, if he finds out I'm advocating filling the damn things with near boiling  water I'll be in real trouble.?