Setup of our boat and instant hot water taps ??

Peter009

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Yes - but ask before you install the basic equipment.

Perhaps they listened to seasoned boaters that said you need a calorfier where really the “seasoned” boater (or boat builders) usually only suggests stuff on how they use there boat and not ask questions on how the new boater will use there boat.

Bit like if I listened to seasoned boaters when I was starting out I would have ended up with a narrowboat “because you can go everywhere”, and when I did more reasearch it was only really one canal where I couldn’t go on with the barges I liked.

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Time to have a rant -

It really gets my "User ID" when folks want / expect the same facilities in every respect that the would normally have in a house / flat.

An instant hot water heater in its true implementation requires a lot of power and that on a boat can only be provided by having a huge power reserve (lots of battery power / large inverter) or a gas water heater which can be dangerous and are no longer popular.

A better alternative - if you are off grid is to have a large TWIN coil calorifier (mounted in a separate cupboard, so that its waste heat can dry clothes etc). One coil uses waste heat from the engine that will have to be run to charge the batteries - or heaven forfend - actually  move the boat, and the other for the Ebersplutter used for yur central heating.

Take care that's almost the comforts that you get in a land based dwelling....

Otherwise living on a boat is little more than camping.

Time for my rant -

It really gets my "your User ID" when folks tell us the "best" way to do things especially when it's based on incorrect information. 

How is a gas water heater on a boat any more dangerous than any other LPG appliance exactly? Sorry, but that sounds like nonsense to me. If they're correctly installed they're not "dangerous" and they're still a popular form of heating water.

If a calorifier is best for you that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's best for me or anyone else. And a calorifier doesn't have to be an alternative. I have a twin coil caqlorifier AND a gas water heater - the more options the better for a liveaboard in my opinion.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Yes - but ask before you install the basic equipment.

We dont expect to live like we do in a house and we expect to live in a boat with as much options as possible in order to live comfortably defiinitely not like camping and we have done research as well as ask boaters such as on this forum how they feel about things which does not mean we are going to immediately go and install what is said it means that we understand people that are actually living this life and the pros and cons and the information on this forum has been amazing thank you for all those that have posted we really appreciate your input.  

4 hours ago, Peter009 said:

We dont expect to live like we do in a house and we expect to live in a boat with as much options as possible in order to live comfortably defiinitely not like camping and we have done research as well as ask boaters such as on this forum how they feel about things which does not mean we are going to immediately go and install what is said it means that we understand people that are actually living this life and the pros and cons and the information on this forum has been amazing thank you for all those that have posted we really appreciate your input.  

Clearly it's different if you live aboard but we spend more than 6 months of each year aboard.

I want it to be different from at home - I don't have a TV on board, or central heating, or several other things which I would think "essential" at home. 

The boat is 70' but it is not possible to move any serious portion of the contents of a three bedroom house on board even if I wanted to. It's not a seaside cottage, it's a boat.

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Some idiot on Pre-loved is advertising his Springer as heated by the gas cooker when temperatures fall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a flat (old coachman’s quarters) where I used to do that. It’s quite effective. 

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Some idiot on Pre-loved is advertising his Springer as heated by the gas cooker when temperatures fall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

idiot??????   makes a lot of sense to me.

If its a cold morning but likely to get warm later then its not worth lighting the stove so we make sure we have toast rather than muesli for breakfast, and Gillie puts all four gas rings on even though she only has one kettle.?

...............Dave

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

Fall asleep on a cold night with the gas cooker burners going and you may well wake up dead. Especially if you have also sealed up all the roof and low level vents to keep the warm in. Not good for condensation on board either.

Jen

14 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Fall asleep on a cold night with the gas cooker burners going and you may well wake up dead. Especially if you have also sealed up all the roof and low level vents to keep the warm in. Not good for condensation on board either.

Jen

Thanks for your comment, I did not want to spell it out, as some guys are just there for an argument, incredibly  folks who should, and probably do, know better.

Hallelujah

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It wouldn't be CWDF without an argument, or five. ?

Yes it would....

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Fall asleep on a cold night with the gas cooker burners going and you may well wake up dead.

Is it true that if this happens, you won't know anything about it until the morning?

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Interesting that a Solid Fuel fire can produce up to 100 times the concentration of Co compared to a FAULTY gas hob.

Source :

carbon-monoxide-safety-on-boats-final-dec2016.pdf

The most interesting thing that few boaters realise is that a solid fuel stove produces absolutely MASSES of carbon monoxide during normal operation, rather than only when faulty. 

And a gas hob is a poor choice for comparison. These also produce CO during normal operation.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The most interesting thing that few boaters realise is that a solid fuel stove produces absolutely MASSES of carbon monoxide during normal operation, rather than only when faulty. 

And a gas hob is a poor choice for comparison. These also produce CO during normal operation.

I think that is the point BSS are making.

EVEN a FAULTY gas hob is much 'safer' than a CORRECTLY working SF stove - so - imagine how much better a CORRECTLY working gas hob is.

Maybe I missed it, but in the 'list of don't do this', there doesn't appear to be "heat your boat using the gas hob".

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

........But what is the second most interesting thing that few boaters realise?

And who are these boaters!

The second most interesting this is how to spell 'skool'. Its 'skool'. Most boaters think it is 'school', but it isn't. So now you know....

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

EVEN a FAULTY gas hob is much 'safer' than a CORRECTLY working SF stove - so - imagine how much better a CORRECTLY working gas hob is.

Have to say I still disagree. A correctly working SF stove is WAY safer to have on one's boat than a faulty gas hob. All the CO goes up the flue.

The hob is flueless so all the CO froma faulty hob stays in the boat with you, the user. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Interesting that a Solid Fuel fire can produce up to 100 times the concentration of Co compared to a FAULTY gas hob.

Source :

carbon-monoxide-safety-on-boats-final-dec2016.pdf

Yes but there is a fairly important difference - the solid fuel fire has an external flue whereas the gas hob doesn’t.

Edited by nicknorman

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that is the point BSS are making.

Maybe I missed it, but in the 'list of don't do this', there doesn't appear to be "heat your boat using the gas hob".

Yes there is - well I’ve certainly heard of it before. It’s a matter of degree of course.

• 2 months later...

Been thinking more about this, if an instant hot water tap was installed just for the bath and only used when on shore power can anyone see an issue with this, I have heard there are a few people that do use these but on shore power not while cruising anyone else using them on this forum ?

thanks