GPS BOAT LOCATION ON STEROIDS!! PIN POINT YOUR BOAT!

Kinver Canopies

Featured Posts

Hi All.

I'd just like to bring to your attention, But many of you may already know about what3words.  

Its a really brilliant website that can locate any 3m x 3m square of land by using three words.

So for example the front door of our unit is..

https://map.what3words.com/famed.thick.former

I just think its brilliant, A customer gave us his exact boat location the other day, so rather than just "I'm at bridge 42 about 10mins walk up the towpath, there's no name on the boat but I'm next to one with coal on the roof" or " I think its jetty 12 but it could be 47"  It was  "I'm at grouping.glorified.tolerates"  and  knew exactly where it was after 2 seconds.

I think this is such a simple but effective way of safely sharing your location. Imagine if you've broken down.. you can direct an engineer directly to you.  Yes I know it's just using Long and Lat numbers but it's really simple.

Think  I'm going to add it to our website order form.

Well done what3words.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Kinver Canopies said:

We've got the apps on our phone now. So if we are out on site you could just give us the three words over the phone.  we type them in and locate you.,  You can't do that with goggle maps.

I have to use the internet to find out where I am, and then I just txt them the link - what is the real difference in practise?    They are more likely to have and use google maps, rather than you explaining the 3 word what again?

Google Maps now has a little "Plus code" (starts with a + sign) which does exactly the same as what3words.

what3words is patented and lawyered up to the hilt, so as soon as it becomes popular, they can start charging you and others (e.g. application developers) for the right to use it. It's a massive scam and pretty much everyone I know in the geospatial/mapping industry is rightly wary of it.

Plus codes are (unusually for Google!) an open standard and not charged for.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I just use google maps and share location, a lot easier.

My thinking was I could just print the words with the job sheet, so the lads can just type it in off the paper work. That's what I meant. Easier than typing in an internet address like you'd get with google maps.

I wasn't very clear.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Kinver Canopies said:

We've got the apps on our phone now. So if we are out on site you could just give us the three words over the phone.  we type them in and locate you.,  You can't do that with goggle maps.

But I as the customer still has to go to the internet to find out where they are, if I'm using a Internet device or what ever description it's easier to send that link via email or text when I do that than remember three words to tell over the phone sometime later!    

2 minutes ago, Kinver Canopies said:

My thinking was I could just print the words with the job sheet, so the lads can just type it in off the paper work. That's what I meant. Easier than typing in an internet address like you'd get with google maps.

I wasn't very clear.

But they will need a internet device to find it, so why not have your paper work via electronically in the first place that they just click on!

3 minutes ago, Robbo said:

But I as the customer still has to go to the internet to find out where they are, if I'm using a Internet device or what ever description it's easier to send that link via email or text when I do that than remember three words to tell over the phone sometime later!    

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I was just trying to help people that might like a nice simple way of getting someone to their boat, I for one quite like it.  If you can't remember three words that's fine. Stick with google, it was just an option.  

Anyway the choice is there if anyone wants to use it and we are quite happy to find people using it, or google or still with basic directions.. But the more choices the better for all involved. ;)

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Kinver Canopies said:

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I was just trying to help people that might like a nice simple way of getting someone to their boat, I for one quite like it.  If you can't remember three words that's fine. Stick with google, it was just an option.

As a customer would it work to send you the location?  You would have to explain it and most people are not that savvy.   A lot of non savvy users are more likely to be familiar with google maps especially if they have a smart phone.

22 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I have to use the internet to find out where I am, and then I just txt them the link - what is the real difference in practise?    They are more likely to have and use google maps, rather than you explaining the 3 word what again?

Actually you don't need the internet to find out where you are with what3words - it uses GPS so you can see the 3 word address for your current location even when you're offline, and then give it to the company over the phone. It's super handy.

1 minute ago, maddietaylor87 said:

Actually you don't need the internet to find out where you are with what3words - it uses GPS so you can see the 3 word address for your current location even when you're offline, and then give it to the company over the phone. It's super handy.

Wow, I did not know that.!  That's even better.

19 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

Google Maps now has a little "Plus code" (starts with a + sign) which does exactly the same as what3words.

what3words is patented and lawyered up to the hilt, so as soon as it becomes popular, they can start charging you and others (e.g. application developers) for the right to use it. It's a massive scam and pretty much everyone I know in the geospatial/mapping industry is rightly wary of it.

But plus codes aren't memorable and it's super easy to make a mistake when you type them, or for someone to hear you wrong over the phone. They are not easy to use. what3words is free to use for individuals via the app and yes they charge some bigger companies but that's necessary to support the investment needed to spread the solution across different countries and industries. By being completely open source, plus codes have no way to make revenue at all, which is why nobody has heard of them (outside geospatial industry).

Btw, in the interests of transparency, I do some writing work for what3words. But I sought out that job because I think it's a great solution, not vice versa. And I live on a dutch barge full time and find it SO helpful :)

13 minutes ago, maddietaylor87 said:

But plus codes aren't memorable and it's super easy to make a mistake when you type them, or for someone to hear you wrong over the phone. They are not easy to use. what3words is free to use for individuals via the app and yes they charge some bigger companies but that's necessary to support the investment needed to spread the solution across different countries and industries. By being completely open source, plus codes have no way to make revenue at all, which is why nobody has heard of them (outside geospatial industry).

Btw, in the interests of transparency, I do some writing work for what3words. But I sought out that job because I think it's a great solution, not vice versa. And I live on a dutch barge full time and find it SO helpful :)

Oh, Does than mean that they're onto us  and will start charging a fortune if we find another customer ;)   

But at the rate that this thread is going I some how doubt it's going to take over the canal network.  So maddietaylor87  Is there some magical bunff I should be putting on our website to make it all good with what3words.  Or a simple introduction to It that will help spread the word.  I'm really impressed at how smooth it is.  Anything we can do to get it out there.

1 hour ago, Kinver Canopies said:

Old Friends Canopy.....

?

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

Looking into plus codes, these should be promoted and not the 3 words.  Main reason is that if the plus codes get popular is that the emergency services will use them.   As they are letters/numbers they can be communicated by voice clearer (E for echo, and all that).  With the 3 words mis-communications are more prone, and as the words are not related to the grid they will be way off location.   Also been open I see that more devices are starting to use them.

Edited by Robbo

43 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Looking into plus codes, these should be promoted and not the 3 words.  Main reason is that if the plus codes get popular is that the emergency services will use them.   As they are letters/numbers they can be communicated by voice clearer (E for echo, and all that).  With the 3 words mis-communications are more prone, and as the words are not related to the grid they will be way off location.   Also been open I see that more devices are starting to use them.

All good points to consider, and it's cool that you're interested, but you don't have the facts right:

1. what3words is already being used by several UK police forces. Training events and integration into their software is already underway and police forces have been promoting what3words on their social media feeds.
2. what3words is designed for accurate voice input, which plus codes aren't (and neither are regular street addresses). 3 word addresses are designed so they cannot be easily miscommunicated. That's been done by allocating similar 3 word addresses very far apart in the world, and building an intelligent autosuggest feature which helps users to spot and correct any mistakes, based on what country or area you're in. So if you get a word slightly wrong, you'll know straight away, and you'll still see the correct 3 word address as an option.

Btw, you can now speak a 3 word address into the new Mercedes voice system to navigate to the precise location – even when that's a canalised carpark or a marina gate, it has precise address. Of course, not everyone can afford a swanky Mercedes, but it's the first step and will definitely roll out to other cars soon.

Just now, maddietaylor87 said:

All good points to consider, and it's cool that you're interested, but you don't have the facts right:

I have read the arguments, I won't be using 3 word addresses as it's patented and not open to use.  That alone makes it not viable no matter how good it could have been.   I see Pluscodes is been used by many walking devices like Garmin and now by Google, this alone will make it more widely available.

1 hour ago, maddietaylor87 said:

How much memory does that use up?