My favourite Youtube vlog: mykaskin

LadyG

Featured Posts

Different topic, but Mike also plays music for our Morris side.

He is quite a whiz with a drone, and this is his compilation of us dancing the sun down on Pitstone Hill almost a year ago now........

(Mayhem abounded - the two large black dogs largely running free were ours!..........)

• Love 1

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Yes :captain:

I thought I recognised it, still painted in it's original Midlands and Coast colours. I witnessed the fore cabin being built by Brian Greaves at Frome Road Wharf in Bradford on Avon. during the the late 1990's.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Ok. Is it any better than this one?

Probably yes, but that view  is subjective, partially because the butty being towed on cross straps was owned for many years by somene who I know quite well, and I also think that the scenery is more varied and interesting.

Edited by David Schweizer

• 2 months later...
On 18/10/2018 at 10:11, alan_fincher said:

Different topic, but Mike also plays music for our Morris side.

He is quite a whiz with a drone, and this is his compilation of us dancing the sun down on Pitstone Hill almost a year ago now........

(Mayhem abounded - the two large black dogs largely running free were ours!..........)

Interesting that the ancient art of Morris Dancing is accompained by music written nearly 500 years ago. The music of the central section (from about 1.44 to 3.02) was written by Renassiance composer Tielman Susato (c. 1510/15 – after 1570) and is a piece know as  La Mourisque or Mohrentanz, both of which translate as Moorish Dance. This has a nice circularity given that the origin of Morris Dancing is supposed to be Moorish.

And this is how it sounds in its original form:

Interesting that the ancient art of Morris Dancing is accompained by music written nearly 500 years ago. The music of the central section (from about 1.44 to 3.02) was written by Renassiance composer Tielman Susato (c. 1510/15 – after 1570) and is a piece know as  La Mourisque or Mohrentanz, both of which translate as Moorish Dance. This has a nice circularity given that the origin of Morris Dancing is supposed to be Moorish.

Indeed.  I knew it's origins, but have never sought out a performance in the style you have posted, so that is most interesting.  Thanks for posting it - I'll show it to our other musicians.

I'm always pleased to play La Mourisque or dance, because I am as yet a relatively unaccomplished melodeon player, and unlike much of the music that our lead musician has chosen to dance by, it s a very easy piece to play.

(The other music used in Mike Askin's video, (Arkensas Traveller), is at least a couple of levels of magnitude harder, and I have yet to master it anything like fully!)