Beta Green Paint.

sailor0500

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I would prefer they didn’t paint everything green, makes it harder to see what’s what, pipes green, wire harness green, clips green........

The Engine arrives at the factory, they hang it up in the spray booth and spray the lot, quick and easy and looks reasonably good.

The alternative is to take all the wires, pipes and bits off, mask up any resulting holes, spray the engine,  then reassemble. A big and expensive, job but the result looks really good.

Even worse is taking all the bits off a painted engine, carefully scraping the paint off them, and then putting them back on. Only a really sad git would do that ?

................Dave

12 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I would prefer they didn’t paint everything green, makes it harder to see what’s what, pipes green, wire harness green, clips green........

If you look closely, they're all slightly different shades of green.  A strong light and a magnifying glass and you'll be able to tell the wires from the pipes like a pro! ;)

• Haha 1

What would happen if Beta started making Hollywood bombs? The hero wouldn't be able to see the big green LED digital counter approaching zero through the green paint while trying to decide which wire to cut before the green sticks of explosive go up. The green wire or the other green wire?

?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, dmr said:

The Engine arrives at the factory, they hang it up in the spray booth and spray the lot, quick and easy and looks reasonably good.

The alternative is to take all the wires, pipes and bits off, mask up any resulting holes, spray the engine,  then reassemble. A big and expensive, job but the result looks really good.

Even worse is taking all the bits off a painted engine, carefully scraping the paint off them, and then putting them back on. Only a really sad git would do that ?

................Dave

Actually the best alternative is not to paint it at all.

added - if I ever buy a new engine from them I would investigate getting it unpainted.

Edited by Chewbacka

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

And you know this because...

;)

It was the green paint on the wires and rubber hoses that really got to me, but then I thought it would be nice to see the copper fuel lines, and maybe the brass nuts,  and why not the injector lines too.

...............Dave 

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Actually the best alternative is not to paint it at all.

added - if I ever buy a new engine from them I would investigate getting it unpainted.

I think getting an engine unpainted would be a messy and expensive job ?

20 minutes ago, Tonka said:

On my Beta tug engine I use stationary engine paint from craftmaster. I have used mid brunswick green which they say is the same colour as Lister use. It is a good match

I think that Beta originally used deep Brunswick green on their tug engines but at some stage switched to mid Brunswick Green. I reckon the deep Brunswick green is the nicer choice for the JD3.

We bought our boat with a quite seriously sick JD3, I planned a rebuild but decided that buying a new John Deere block would be the better option. I purchased this via Beta and they agreed to supply it painted but when it arrived it was in Beta Green (min Brunswick) and did not match the gearbox and other bits from the old engine so I  got some Craftmaster Deep Brunswick green and did a quick repaint.   10,000 hours now and the paint is still in pretty good condition.

...............Dave 

8 minutes ago, dmr said:

I think that Beta originally used deep Brunswick green on their tug engines but at some stage switched to mid Brunswick Green. I reckon the deep Brunswick green is the nicer choice for the JD3.

We bought our boat with a quite seriously sick JD3, I planned a rebuild but decided that buying a new John Deere block would be the better option. I purchased this via Beta and they agreed to supply it painted but when it arrived it was in Beta Green (min Brunswick) and did not match the gearbox and other bits from the old engine so I  got some Craftmaster Deep Brunswick green and did a quick repaint.   10,000 hours now and the paint is still in pretty good condition.

...............Dave 

Mine is the BD3 tug engine

17 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Mine is the BD3 tug engine

Lucky you, that's a nice engine.  I am sure that the JD3 that Beta took round the boat shows was deep Brunswick, and the one in my boat (an early JD3) was deep Brunswick, so If my theory is correct the BD3 should be deep Brunswick, but a lot of my theories are pretty rubbish. ?

...............Dave

29 minutes ago, sailor0500 said:

Thanks for your replies.

Duuno where you are based, I think I've got a tin of genuine Beta green paint that Beta gave me when I got the engine. No good to me because, as said above, I am using deep Brunswick green. Its about 8 years old but if I can find it you could have it. Am spending the winter on the wonderful Rochdale canal.

..............Dave

23 hours ago, dmr said:

Duuno where you are based, I think I've got a tin of genuine Beta green paint that Beta gave me when I got the engine. No good to me because, as said above, I am using deep Brunswick green. Its about 8 years old but if I can find it you could have it. Am spending the winter on the wonderful Rochdale canal.

..............Dave

Thanks for the offer Dave but I am a bit far away on the Lncater Canel. Will buy some now I know the colour. Thanks again. Mike