Route suggestions for 2 week hire

Rata

Featured Posts

We are a couple (50's/60's) looking at a fortnight hire sometime next summer, probably July.

Would love any suggestions/advice/help on a possible area or canal system that might suit us.  Prefer countryside to city, and would like to do a ring circuit or a one way trip.  Not too many locks as will only be the two of us.

Have previously done Preston Brook (Trent & Mersey) turning into Middlewich Canal and almost to Nantwich and return in a 45 foot boat (4 nights), then on another trip from New Zealand we travelled from Stone (Trent & Mersey) along Caldon Canal to Froghall and return in a 68 foot boat (that was interesting turning at the end!) over a week.

Don't want to be chugging all day, we'd like to be able to have time to stop off and walk through villages or see things of interest (not necessarily well known).  Many thanks for any recommendations.

Last year we (72 & 76) did the Warick ring. the hirer said it was a 7 day trip but we took 14 days. Gave us time to explore Braunstone (Braunstone bangers from the meat shop are to die for), stay a few hours at Kingsbury water park, and do the full length of the Ashby canal. No rush just pockle along, take the locks easy, no problems. Really enjoyed the holiday, even our dog didn't want to leave the boat at the end?

It is becoming very difficult to plan ahead due to 'infrastructure problems'. There were 14 canals closed at one time this Summer due to various things from Broken lock gates to major breaches, to water shortages, with several still closed now.

Many of the 'rings' (in the Northern half of the country) have been totally closed off for much of the year. The breach at Middlewich happened in March and is still not repaired.

I would suggest that wherever you plan to start from, identify 2 or 3 alternative routes, and even look at alternative 'start sites/companies' and hope you can get your deposits refunded from any 'affected' company.

• Greenie 1

With 2 WHOLE WEEKS at your disposal (I put that in caps: because most enquiries are for a one week trip) you MUST do a ring of some sort.

For a visitor to these shores, methinks a ring including the Thames would be my favourite (we did it several times before I built our boat).

A mix of town and countryside - often even if you pass through a town / city, they are soon passed and anyway the canals and rivers run in their own leafy environment.

To my mind canals are boring without locks - you need an occasional lock to make a change in the pace and scenery.

Whatever other suggestions you get on here, I suggest you look at the videos posted on YouTube by Minimal List, 98 videos to date most of which have some interest (if you turn the music off.

For routes and rings look at Canalplan.org.uk where there occasional photos along each route.

That's enough for starters

we always took two weeks to do one week rings. or a week to do a tiny ring.

gave us days off to explore and shorter days for pub lunches and incase of bad weather. boating for 8/9 hours a day in all weather's doesent seem too fun.

having spent extra days moored in Birmingham and Manchester gave us a chance for seeing the sights and to give the crew a break.

the warrickshire ring would be a great 14 day cruise with detours. or a relaxing cruise

• Greenie 1

One great advantage of an out and back journey is the timing, on the way out you can look for places you would like to explore as you return and allow enough time to do it, or you could do it the other way round stopping where you fancied on the way out and timing a faster return journey. I always think things look different from the other direction and there is always some that makes you say, I will check that out on the way back.

O a ring you can end up rushing and missing things as you reach the end or go past interesting sites only to find nothing of interest on the last 5 days

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

One great advantage of an out and back journey is the timing, on the way out you can look for places you would like to explore as you return and allow enough time to do it, or you could do it the other way round stopping where you fancied on the way out and timing a faster return journey. I always think things look different from the other direction and there is always some that makes you say, I will check that out on the way back.

O a ring you can end up rushing and missing things as you reach the end or go past interesting sites only to find nothing of interest on the last 5 days

The worst thing with a ring from a hirers perspective, is being delayed by weather or a breakdown after you have passed the midpoint, forcing you to put in long days to get the boat back on time.

32 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The worst thing with a ring from a hirers perspective, is being delayed by weather or a breakdown after you have passed the midpoint, forcing you to put in long days to get the boat back on time.

How is that any different from the same happening after you have turned on an out and back trip?

i don't really get the anti-ring views that are often aired. When I hired I wanted to discover new canal and a ring is the best way to do that. 

To answer the question exploring the Staffs & Worcs as suggested would be good; the southern half is a beautiful waterway. Over two weeks there would be a lot of opportunity to view other things. It's lucky then that you can visit such places as Shugborough Hall, Wightwick Manor, Kinver rock houses and the Severn Valley Railway.

It might still not stretch to two weeks but there is also the option of exploring the southern end of the Shropshire Union which is as near as damn it lock free.

The Staffs & Worcs is far from lock free but they are generally encountered one at a time, the major rings all have significant lock flights in them. To many that's part of the attraction of course.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

How is that any different from the same happening after you have turned on an out and back trip?

i don't really get the anti-ring views that are often aired. When I hired I wanted to discover new canal and a ring is the best way to do that. 

JP

Any holdup is a concern on on all hire boat holdays, But saying that, I have just booked a two week hire to do the Leicester ring. 14days @ 6hrs per day, not a lot of time for mucking about.

2 minutes ago, artleknock said:

Any holdup is a concern on on all hire boat holdays, But saying that, I have just booked a two week hire to do the Leicester ring. 14days @ 6hrs per day, not a lot of time for mucking about.

I can't say I ever bothered too much about what might happen. Just planned what I was going to do and got on and did it, delays or no delays. Early starts and late finishes often allow you to see the canal at it's best.

At 6 hours a day you'll have the afternoons for mucking about.

JP

• Horror 1

13 minutes ago, artleknock said:

Our first trip round the Leicester ring was on a one week hire. Having suffered low water levels through Leicester we decided to do the full ring rather than turning at the top of Foxton and heading back. It did mean a few very long days of 12hrs plus cruising as we had spent the first few days leisurely cruising to Foxton.

50 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

To answer the question exploring the Staffs & Worcs as suggested would be good; the southern half is a beautiful waterway. Over two weeks there would be a lot of opportunity to view other things. It's lucky then that you can visit such places as Shugborough Hall, Wightwick Manor, Kinver rock houses and the Severn Valley Railway.

It might still not stretch to two weeks but there is also the option of exploring the southern end of the Shropshire Union which is as near as damn it lock free.

The Staffs & Worcs is far from lock free but they are generally encountered one at a time, the major rings all have significant lock flights in them. To many that's part of the attraction of course.

JP

Technically of course you are correct, however most, having decided to do a ring, and then being delayed will continue regardless, putting pressure on themselves to do long days in order to get the boat back on time.

Perhaps my views come from my second hire holiday, which was around the Warwickshire Ring and we suffered numerous delays which resulted in the boat arriving back a few hours late. It didn't help that the holiday was in October and the nights were drawing in limiting the scope for really long days.

Ring every time, Avon ring is pleasant but there's a good few locks. For those who think rings are the devil's idea, just head down to Tewkesbury and turn around. That way you get two bites at Stratford and don't have to do the Severn between Tewkesbury and Worcester (which is indescribably tedious). 

15 minutes ago, westwd said:

Ring every time, Avon ring is pleasant but there's a good few locks. For those who think rings are the devil's idea, just head down to Tewkesbury and turn around. That way you get two bites at Stratford and don't have to do the Severn between Tewkesbury and Worcester (which is indescribably tedious). 

I am also a fan of rings but I just don't think there is an obvious one that fits the brief. The Avon Ring is very nice but it doesn't really fit the conditions set out by the OP. It is hard work. 58 locks up the W&B, 55 on the Stratford and mostly in long flights, and then the Avon locks themselves which are not the most boater friendly. Also I don't think there is two weeks worth of worthwhile cruising in that area without a lot of locks for an out and back trip.

If not the Staffs & Worcs another suggestion would be to hire at Oxford or Heyford and complete the whole Oxford Canal to Sutton Stop and return. It's countryside almost all the way and has a proper canal destination at the end plus a good few along the way.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Plus one for the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal from Great Haywood to Stourport and back.  Widely considered to be one of the prettiest canals and (opened 1772) one of the earliest. 46 miles and 43 locks, mostly singles and well-spaced out. 

Edited by Tom Morgan

• 1 month later...

Belated thanks to everyone who took the time to reply with some great suggestions, much appreciated.

Having read your comments, we like the idea of taking two weeks for what is usually a one week route or ring.

Also that whatever we choose, we need plan B & C!  Especially with canal closures.

On further research, really like the look of Leeds & Liverpool Canal, so I will post a separate thread with questions.

Thanks AllBlack

On 17/10/2018 at 18:16, westwd said:

don't have to do the Severn between Tewkesbury and Worcester (which is indescribably tedious). 

Whilst perhaps not the very lovliest bit of the Severn, it's not exactly passing through the gates of hell...  and it only takes a morning!  You can even break it up with a visit to Upton-upon-Severn should driving a boat on a wide stretch of water for a change not be enough for you and you really are having an awful time of it.  However, I'd suggest your tedium meter needs calibrating. ;)

Westwd, perhaps you need to go to...(insert name of navigation here) :D

(Answers on a postcard please, so as not to derail Rata's data gathering exercise)