“Landline “ phone/Internet connection

loubyscooby

Featured Posts

Just now, loubyscooby said:

Does anyone live in a marina where a phone/internet connection is cable connected to the pontoon so you can simply just “plug in”? 

I had such a mooring in 1991/2 I doubt there are many around now since the wifi era.

Yes where I moor. Some people are connected, some aren't. I am not. Another thing to remember to disconnect before going out. And I'm someone who has forgotten to disconnect a land mains line and destroyed the bollard. The broadband installers do look very confused when their job list sends them here.

Jen

31 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The only reason I could see for doing that these days is if you were in a mobile phone/mobile broadband black spot and didn't want to mess about with external antennas,or the marina wifi wasn't too good.

45mbps is a good reason

Phil 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What is 45mbps ffs? when i visit my old mums and use her bt hub land line thingy its slower than little white thing ont boat!!

Dunno. But Mbps is mega bits per second! 

Usually refers to download /upload Internet speeds. I usually get 10Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What is 45mbps ffs? when i visit my old mums and use her bt hub land line thingy its slower than little white thing ont boat!!

Because she probably only has internet via, ADSL, which is particularly crap if you want to do anything useful on the internet.

Mobile 4g connections are way faster.

Some land lines offer fibre, and run way faster than ADSL.

Edited by MJG

Just thinking about it, fiber optic broadband is way faster than mobile WiFi. Been using mobile to get on the net for about 20 years starting with pointing the infrared port on my phone at the port on the lappy. Progressed to using a Bluetooth phone and a Bluetooth receiver plugged in a USB port, then onto a Datacards that slotted in the lappy. The first methods of connecting meant you had to make a virtual modem. The next breakthrough was the dongle followed by the WiFi router.

Phil 

3 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Yes a bit 20th century 

why would you want to ? 

If using landline based WiFi is so old hat why does the world and his dog clamour for faster and better fiber optic broadband, surely they and businesses would ditch it and go for mobile WiFi. Having spent years using mobile connection to the net I found speed and reliability of fiber is second to none.

Phil 

7 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

If using landline based WiFi is so old hat why does the world and his dog clamour for faster and better fiber optic broadband, surely they and businesses would ditch it and go for mobile WiFi. Having spent years using mobile connection to the net I found speed and reliability of fiber is second to none.

Phil 

Mobile WiFi isn’t available at the prices and the unlimited bandwidth that landline based systems currently offer, could be one reason.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Why would anybody want a slow internet connection speed?

Phil 

I wouldn't call mobile Internet slow. It may be slower than some wired options, but then when out boating i find the lead isn't long enough to plug into the bollard. 

It also gets trapped in lock gates. Of course you could opt for both options if it is required. 

14 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

45mbps is a good reason

Phil 

Its a good selling point. In reality I rarely find it makes much difference when browsing most websites when it comes to loading pages. Many web-servers seem highly loaded leading to a modest latency.

If your shifting large files over the 'net then that is when a high local bandwidth can help.

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

When you disconnect your broadband line to go cruising, is there a special cover you can put over the end to stop the ones and zeros leaking out and polluting the canal?

Jen?

But like those stupid electric socket covers that new parents seem to install that actually make the socket more dangerous?  

19 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Mobile WiFi isn’t available at the prices and the unlimited bandwidth that landline based systems currently offer, could be one reason.

I think the main reason. A home based fibre optic supply gives broadband at much cheaper prices and unlimited data compared to mobile 4G.

23 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Phil 

Ahh so now we are talking a fibre connection at the pontoon ?  Even 5G is not going to beat fibre speeds, well not once the likes of BT are forced to take the shackles off and provide fibre to the home.  Think I’m wrong have a look at B4RN providing full duplex 1GB fibre for 30 quid a month...