Wood Burner Advice Please

Peter009

Featured Posts

On 15/10/2018 at 11:18, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Seems a bit big. Most boat stoves, even on wide beams are around 5kW. A bigger stove would need to be run almost stopped down and will be more prone to clinkering up the flue. Run flat out the boat will be a sauna, even with all windows and doors open. 9kW is the sort of size you would heat a four bedroom house with.

Nicknorman types faster than me!

Jen

5kW might be adequate for a 50 x 10' boat but wouldn't be enough for a lot of widebeams. My stove is 8kW and I'm on a 57 x 12' boat (40 x 11.5' cabin interior)

35 minutes ago, blackrose said:

5kW might be adequate for a 50 x 10' boat but wouldn't be enough for a lot of widebeams. My stove is 8kW and I'm on a 57 x 12' boat (40 x 11.5' cabin interior)

I have a 4.75kw diesel stove and it’s heating up a similar space of 11.5’x36’ interior more than adequately.    Distribution around the boat is probably more of a issue rather than max output as 5kw should be more than enough.

2 hours ago, Peter009 said:

Hi thanks everyone for their advice and comments I think we will go for a lower power 4-5 kw the boat is double insulated as well not sure we want to be in a sauna !!

Thanks again 

Pete

How double insulated? And remember a given power output of say 5kw is max output, you don't have to run flat out. 

On a previous boat a 40x12 I fitted a 8kw diesel drip feed heater because I didn't want to have to run a lower power one flat out. It meant the boat was always warm and comfortable without the heater being stressed by running flat out.  Used no more fuel and the extra cost of purchase was only a couple of hundred quid.

Phil 

4 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

How double insulated? And remember a given power output of say 5kw is max output, you don't have to run flat out. 

On a previous boat a 40x12 I fitted a 8kw diesel drip feed heater because I didn't want to have to run a lower power one flat out. It meant the boat was always warm and comfortable without the heater being stressed by running flat out.  Used no more fuel and the extra cost of purchase was only a couple of hundred quid.

Phil 

Precisely. A large stove ( ours was 16kw ) doesnt need to clinker up at all. If we didnt want too much heat we just put less fuel on but kept it burning. When cold simply put more fuel on. Our Masport never so much as sooted the flue up and was never a problem.