Wood Burner Advice Please

Peter009

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

Wonder if anyone can help we are looking at buying a wood burner stove for our boat which is 50 x 10 we have been offered a second hand Jotul F163 stove 9 KW does anyone have one of these and if so is there any known problems

We will obviously get it checked and installed properly but dont know enough about stove requirements on boats and am just staring to look into it,  so any advice would be really helpful am still learning and hoping you experts out there can give me the right advice if anybody has one of these or knows of them 

Thanks in advance 

Buy item 273483031898 on flea bay. Nothing to do with me its not my stove but I had an identical one on my 50 x 10 fatty and it was superb. Found another on fleabay for a mate for his barge and he took his morso off and put it on a few years ago now and still superb.

Seems a bit big. Most boat stoves, even on wide beams are around 5kW. A bigger stove would need to be run almost stopped down and will be more prone to clinkering up the flue. Run flat out the boat will be a sauna, even with all windows and doors open. 9kW is the sort of size you would heat a four bedroom house with.

Nicknorman types faster than me!

Jen

Just now, nicknorman said:

I’d say it’s probably too large for the boat. It will spend its life shut right down getting choked up and with all the windows open!

Blurb says 3-9KW,so may be ok.

I don't know much about wood burners, but thought they beneffited from being longer rather than taller for easier loading. Jotul certainly have a good name in woodburners.

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I’d say it’s probably too large for the boat. It will spend its life shut right down getting choked up and with all the windows open!

That will depend on the stove. The stove on my fatty was 16 kw BUT it ran perfectly with literaly two handfuls of smokeless on or a bucket full or anywhere in between. Superb in every way.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Buy item 273483031898 on flea bay. Nothing to do with me its not my stove but I had an identical one on my 50 x 10 fatty and it was superb. Found another on fleabay for a mate for his barge and he took his morso off and put it on a few years ago now and still superb.

That looks like a bargain to me.

Just now, rusty69 said:

That looks like a bargain to me.

They are superb. I think the problem today is they dont comply with the latest snowflake legislation. They were made in NZ and very popular over there when I researched it. Very adjustable with an auto or manual system, burns anything in any amounts, never had a chimney soot up at all and never a whiff of co thingy. No fire bricks to replace. The best but too large physicaly for a sewer tube or I would have the one on ebay in a shot. There were two on there last week one was £250.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't buy a 'wood burner'

This will entail you towing another boat behind you full of wood - if you have never burnt wood you will be surprised how quickly it disappears.

If you get a 'multi-fuel stove' then you can burn solid fuel & wood.

This ^^^^^

Possibly 2 problems 1 definite & 1posible a total wood burner a No No get a multi fuel burner KW output to much I would aim for a around 5/6 Kw output I have 2 off 9Kw & 1 14Kw output "Godin wood burners in my house& the heat output from a single 9KW stove would be sauna wise in a restricted area of a boat even a "Fatty  In my case the 14 heats the basement "summer kitchen & part ground floor& enclosed part of "Geange" (barn")& the other 2 the rest of the house including the heat flues to the upper story rooms

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This will entail you towing another boat behind you full of wood - if you have never burnt wood you will be surprised how quickly it disappears.

You might expect me to disagree with that!   I have never failed to find enough dry wood canalside to keep my (admittedly rather smaller than the one the OP is proposing) stove going.

Multi-fuel stoves are a compromise at best.  To burn most solid fuels you need a grate.  Wood (and peat) are far better without one.  The Jotul 163 is a woodburner only - I don't know whether you can get a grate to burn other fuels.  We had a Jotul No 1 for many years (in the house), and a grate was available, but was never very satisfactory, so we stuck to wood and never paid for fuel again.   I don't know how much the OP is proposing to pay, but a new Jotul 163 is about £1700.  But far more efficient than older stoves, by the look of it, so perhaps not a wood-gobbler.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I went for a wood burner at home because they are better at burning wood than a multi fuel and I have a free supply of wood.  Sound reasons in a house with plenty of space to store and season my free wood, but I have a multi fuel stove on the boat and, if I could choose again, I'd also go for the versatility of a multi fuel stove at home.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I went for a wood burner at home because they are better at burning wood than a multi fuel and I have a free supply of wood.  Sound reasons in a house with plenty of space to store and season my free wood, but I have a multi fuel stove on the boat and, if I could choose again, I'd also go for the versatility of a multi fuel stove at home.

When we had the farm we had an 'unlimited' supply of wood - it kept you warm in several ways

Cutting down the trees and cutting into logs

Carting the logs and storing in the wood shed

Carting the logs from the shed into the house

Burning the logs

Taking the ash out

They were generally soft wood (predominantly Silver Birch) and when seasoned for a year, they burnt away very quickly.

I would not try and rely on picking up "a few sticks" along the canal for my heating.

As the number of liveaboard boats continues to increase the demand will certainly exceed supply.

Wood stove only - NEVER.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we had the farm we had an 'unlimited' supply of wood - it kept you warm in several ways

Cutting down the trees and cutting into logs

Carting the logs and storing in the wood shed

Carting the logs from the shed into the house

Burning the logs

Taking the ash out

They were generally soft wood (predominantly Silver Birch) and when seasoned for a year, they burnt away very quickly.

I would not try and rely on picking up "a few sticks" along the canal for my heating.

As the number of liveaboard boats continues to increase the demand will certainly exceed supply.

Wood stove only - NEVER.

Sorry, I carn't let it go, silver birch is a hardwood. 

Just now, tree monkey said:

Sorry, I carn't let it go, silver birch is a hardwood. 

Fairy Snuff - you should know.

They were self-seed "weeds" on the site of an old (1700's) coal mine spoil tip.

It cuts easily and burns away very quickly - My perception of hard-woods is hard to cut and slow burning (thinking Oak ??)

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we had the farm we had an 'unlimited' supply of wood

If you  had a woodfarm,surely it was just a forest.

We have been burning wood for the last few years,It is certainly becoming more poplar.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Fairy Snuff - you should know.

They were self-seed "weeds" on the site of an old (1700's) coal mine spoil tip.

It cuts easily and burns away very quickly - My perception of hard-woods is hard to cut and slow burning (thinking Oak ??)

A reasonable explanation of the difference 

Gymnosperms reproduce by forming cones which emit pollen to be spread by the wind to other trees. Pollinated trees form naked seeds which are dropped to the ground or borne on the wind so that new trees can grow elsewhere. Some examples of softwood include pine, redwood, douglas-fir, cypresses and larch. (more information visit our species section)

A hardwood is an angiosperm, a plant that produces seeds with some sort of covering such as a shell or a fruit. Angiosperms usually form flowers to reproduce. Birds and insects attracted to the flowers carry the pollen to other trees and when fertilized the trees form fruits or nuts and seeds. Hardwoods include eucalypts, beech and blackwood.

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

If you let go, you'd fall out of the tree....so good plan.?

I point at things nowadays, my falling out of trees days are over, well only on weekends :)

• Love 1