Shower

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Do these things work on instantaneous gas heaters eg Paloma,or must it be calorifier fed or AN other?

Ours is on a calorifier, but on a boat a few years ago with a Vaillant boiler the shower feed consisted of a T-Bar with a cold feed at one end, and a hot feed at the other, you adjusted the temp by turning up/down one or other of the taps.

I guess just a manual version of what the thermostatic shower does automatically.

Hope that answers your question.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Happy 1

I have a Bristan thermostatic shower mixer on my boat which runs from both calorifier and instant gas water heater. In the 15 years I've been on this boat I've replaced it once and lost count of how many times I've had to service the replacement or replace the innards. 9 times out of 10 the parts supplied by Bristan (often sent FoC under warranty) have been faulty!

These things are overly complex crap in my opinion and I'd really rather have a simple manual mixer if I could find one that would fit easily.

So whatever you do, don't buy one of these!

IMG_20181014_155524_7.jpg

Edited by blackrose

When I fitted out my boat I installed separate hot and cold systems, with a lever ball valve to link them. The idea was to maximise the flow whilst putting less load/wear on the individual pumps. The link was so that one pump could operate the whole system if one pump failed.  I also fitted a thermostatic shower.

I found that the thermostatic shower mixer was not very successful.  As the pressure changed in either the hot or cold depending on when the pumps cut in the thermostat couldn't follow the changes quick enough.  I now just operate the system with the link open and only one pump switched on and the thermostatic mixer works perfectly.   So to answer the OP, I would say that a thermostatic mixer will be fine.

Our boat had a manual mixer when we got it and it was impossible to get the temperature either correct or constant. Really f’ing irritating!

Changed it to a thermostatic mixer that I happened to have in the car, and it’s worked fine since... either from the 12l tank heated by the gas warm air and water heater, or from the Rinnai gas instant water heater. The latter is obviously better as 12l doesn’t go far when having a shower :( 

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Our boat had a manual mixer when we got it and it was impossible to get the temperature either correct or constant. Really f’ing irritating!

Changed it to a thermostatic mixer that I happened to have in the car, and it’s worked fine since... either from the 12l tank heated by the gas warm air and water heater, or from the Rinnai gas instant water heater. The latter is obviously better as 12l doesn’t go far when having a shower :( 

It must depend on the make. Our single mixer tap works very precisely without fault every time mixing from the cold tank and cauliflower. I wouldnt have a thermostatic one given.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It must depend on the make. Our single mixer tap works very precisely without fault every time mixing from the cold tank and cauliflower. I wouldnt have a thermostatic one given.

Surely you don't shower smelly. Clues in the name 

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The single mixer on our boat worked fine too. The only slight issue we had was it would sometimes give a blast of too hot water on first start up then settle back to an even temp. Funny enough the one in our last caravan which looked to be the same make did exactly the same thing.

You just had to be ready for it and not step under thee running shower till it settled which only took a matter of seconds.