When do you run your engine?

dor

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

It was quite surprising to me how easy it is to "trip over" those so they "accidentally" fall in the canal, especially after 8 pm..

That would be naughty.  I on the other hand am properly concerned about other people's property so I would kindly chain it with a heavy chain to the armco to prevent it being stolen.  Unfortunately I am very forgetful about where I put keys...

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Someone placed a generator well away from his own boat - but nearer my boat - the other week.  

I could smell the exhaust fumes but did not like to complain. He  switched the generator off at 8.30pm.

I  did not sleep well that night and the next morning felt terrible and was  sick after  sudden stomach pain.  Felt weak as a kitten. Took a couple of days to feel right.

Wife ate the same food but had not sat were I did . She had no problem.

I am convinced it was CO poisoning.

I'm not aware that CO poisoning causes stomach pain. You may have convinced yourself but unless your CO alarms sounded you haven't convinced me.

5 hours ago, MartynG said:

Someone placed a generator well away from his own boat - but nearer my boat - the other week.  

I could smell the exhaust fumes but did not like to complain. He  switched the generator off at 8.30pm.

I  did not sleep well that night and the next morning felt terrible and was  sick after  sudden stomach pain.  Felt weak as a kitten. Took a couple of days to feel right.

I had a near neighbour on my mooring a few years ago who ran his generator almost constantly every night for power - knackered batteries of course but he wouldn't listen...

In fairness he didn't run it particularly late when moored next to me, but one night he moored over on the towpath to watch something late on TV.  He said the TV suddenly stopped working and went out to check the generator, only to find the end of his landline lying on the grass and no sign of a generator.

Last weekend I was moored on Nantwich embankment. A boat moored up next to me and ran his engine for an hour.  No problem with that.  What was a little more disheartening was that he started it up again at 23:15 and ran it for half an hour.  He was bigger than me so I didn't argue and the cabin was at the other end of my boat.  I found the hum of his engine almost soporific at that time of night.  Despite my original post, I don't usually get too excited about engines being run between 8&8, but I had had a bad day when i posted before.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

It certainly wasn't simply that.

Google search indicated weakness nausea and vomiting are symptoms of CO poisoning.

Yes but the effects of CO poisoning are pretty quick not the next morning.

Hangover is a more likely cause of your illness I should say.

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

Yes but the effects of CO poisoning are pretty quick not the next morning.

Hangover is a more likely cause of your illness I should say.

Not drink related.

Think I know what a hangover feel ike and it wasnt that. Didn't drink much anyway.

Could have been food poisoning but the wife and i shared the meal so seems unlikely.

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Not drink related.

Think I know what a hangover feel ike and it wasnt that. Didn't drink much anyway.

Could have been food poisoning but the wife and i shared the meal so seems unlikely.

If it was CO poisoning the wife would have it also and your alarm would have sounded.

Assuming of course it is working and located where it should be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2018 at 20:06, MartynG said:

You will have to keep away from petrol engined cars then.

55 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Well that is somewhat stating the obvious!

CO is an invisible gas. So not at all easily perceived. The composition of emissions from engine exhausts may not be undersood by everyone .

Just now, Mike Todd said:

At least cars have to pass an annual MOT which includes emissions. Gennies can be on any condition without check.

Like the Building Regulations, the MoT test used to be about safety and nothing else. In recent years however both have had extra bits bolted on which are purely political. Emissions testing of cars and boilers is nothing to do with any danger presented e.g. no brakes, no lintels over doorways, and everything to do with paying lip service to fixing the global warming problem.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

CO is an invisible gas. So not at all easily perceived. The composition of emissions from engine exhausts may not be undersood by everyone .

The information that petrol engines produce far more CO than diesel engines is widely available from many sources. 

If people can't be bothered with that information that is their look out. You can't legislate for idiots.

52 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The information that petrol engines produce far more CO than diesel engines is widely available from many sources. 

If people can't be bothered with that information that is their look out. You can't legislate for idiots.

Legislation is for the whole population, exactly half that population have an IQ of less than 100. So Government is legislating for a lot of quite dozy folks even if not idiots.

On 06/11/2018 at 01:22, dor said:

I had a near neighbour on my mooring a few years ago who ran his generator almost constantly every night for power - knackered batteries of course but he wouldn't listen...

In fairness he didn't run it particularly late when moored next to me, but one night he moored over on the towpath to watch something late on TV.  He said the TV suddenly stopped working and went out to check the generator, only to find the end of his landline lying on the grass and no sign of a generator.

Last weekend I was moored on Nantwich embankment. A boat moored up next to me and ran his engine for an hour.  No problem with that.  What was a little more disheartening was that he started it up again at 23:15 and ran it for half an hour.  He was bigger than me so I didn't argue and the cabin was at the other end of my boat.  I found the hum of his engine almost soporific at that time of night.  Despite my original post, I don't usually get too excited about engines being run between 8&8, but I had had a bad day when i posted before.

Ive posted this before but its worth re telling. There is/was a certain boater at LH who used to run their gennie every evening till late and a friend of mine repeatedly requested they stopped doing it. One night with the honda so called silent gennie humming away he snapped walked to the back of the offenders boat and threw the gennie in the cut. It then didnt hum anymore. It has to be said that he immediately apologised for throwing it in the cut and the next day fair play to him he purchased them a brand new one. Later that day the honda gennie which had pretty quickly been retrieved from the cut started first or second pull and worked faultlessley after being dried off!!

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Emissions testing of cars and boilers is nothing to do with any danger presented e.g. no brakes, no lintels over doorways, and everything to do with paying lip service to fixing the global warming problem.

Clearly not, because they don't test CO2 emissions. I'm not sure what they test for with boilers (though I presume CO which is a safety issue) but with cars they test for pollutants. Cars do contribute significantly to localised pollution, and it would probably be a lot worse without the emissions test - pollution is a safety issue.

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive posted this before but its worth re telling. There is/was a certain boater at LH who used to run their gennie every evening till late and a friend of mine repeatedly requested they stopped doing it. One night with the honda so called silent gennie humming away he snapped walked to the back of the offenders boat and threw the gennie in the cut. It then didnt hum anymore. It has to be said that he immediately apologised for throwing it in the cut and the next day fair play to him he purchased them a brand new one. Later that day the honda gennie which had pretty quickly been retrieved from the cut started first or second pull and worked faultlessley after being dried off!!

It's OK Tim ,we all know that you would never do such a thing!

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

But if yu have no interest in generator exhausts because you don't own one or any other petrol combustion engine but someone else then exposes you to one  does that make you an idiot?

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But if yu have no interest in generator exhausts because you don't own one or any other petrol combustion engine but someone else then exposes you to one  does that make you an idiot?

Not in the slightest. You have the ability to ask them to move it or even to educate them about the dangers of CO.

A CO alarm with a display of the CO levels can easily show people the dangers they are exposing others too.

ETA: and at the end of the day let's not forget you are on a boat. If after discussing things with your new neughbours you feel theyhave taken no notice and you feel your life is being put in danger you can just up sticks and move on.

Edited by Naughty Cal

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not in the slightest. You have the ability to ask them to move it or even to educate them about the dangers of CO.

A CO alarm with a display of the CO levels can easily show people the dangers they are exposing others too.

ETA: and at the end of the day let's not forget you are on a boat. If after discussing things with your new neughbours you feel theyhave taken no notice and you feel your life is being put in danger you can just up sticks and move on.

That I would do but not everyone has the same knowledge about CO as you and I have especially if that are not involved with something that causes it.. If I see a genny on a boat I just don't stop if there is any reasonable alternative. Same if loads of smoke coming from the chimney