When do you run your engine?

dor

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Image result for miss whiplash

Didn't Ms Vilolet Elizabeth Blott "squeem and squeem until she was thick" ?

Blimey, Violet hasn't aged well............and she's the wrong colour !

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Thanks Alan I thought it Rhymed with Yachting ,must be association?

RYA? well, it is a Botting forum

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

When is 'then' ?

I wasn't around when they wrote the Bible, but I still know the names of many of the Characters.

1994 it was on tv

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

'Peeved' always worries me. A 'peeve' is not a word, yet how come people can be peeved, or have a pet peeve?

Maybe I'm just being 'gormless', meaning I don't have a 'gorm'!

Gorms lived on that planet Captain Kirk went to and did some clever chemistry to blow one of them up.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Running engines between 8am and 10am, and 6pm and 8pm maximises the probability of neighbouring boats being occupied and thus disturbed. Selfish and inconsiderate.

But on the same basis that's also when a somebody is most likely to be on their boat to run their engine.

I agree that where possible it's sensible and neighborly to avoid those times (though personally I don't see a big deal with the evening slot). Being very new to boating, I've only run my engine twice whilst stationary so far (the only days I've been on the boat and not moved or had electric hookup) - once was in town near houses and I was conscious of the noise nuisance given how loud it is when I'm standing there steering - though I went out and checked and it was a lot quieter than I'd expected and almost inaudible to me once more than a few metres away (being a trad stern I don't need to open anything to turn the engine on either). But then I didn't run it for long either as whilst my batteries seem to have been over discharged and not in great nick - a shame as they're high quality Trojans - I'm not using much electricity either, don't currently have a TV and have only run the inverter once. I suppose I should admit that the other time I broke the rules as I got back late but I was nowhere near anybody else and I'm sure nobody could hear me.