When do you run your engine?

dor

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The licence conditions don't need to define nuisance and there is a mountain of case law which more than adequately defines it for all different types of nuisance.  In case of engines running, the forms of nuisance would most likely be noise or odours.  The determination of whether there is a nuisance from a running engine would initially lie with an officer from the council who would 'witness' the nuisance from the home of the complainant, and could then serve notice to the source of the nuisance to abate the nuisance.  The difficulty comes with boats in that the nuisance could be abated at any point by moving the boat to a new location, thus creating a new nuisance in that location. 

I suppose it's possible that CRT could try and enforce against a boater who they have received numerous complaints about.  I'm not sure what sanctions they have available though.  Can they fine the boater?  The definitely can't refuse to renew the licence.

Bye-Law No 38

No person shall commit any nuisance in or on any canal.

Simple, unambiguous 'one-liner'.

So,- Yes, if they were so inclined, they could fine the boater.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The licence conditions don't need to define nuisance and there is a mountain of case law which more than adequately defines it for all different types of nuisance.  In case of engines running, the forms of nuisance would most likely be noise or odours.  The determination of whether there is a nuisance from a running engine would initially lie with an officer from the council who would 'witness' the nuisance from the home of the complainant, and could then serve notice to the source of the nuisance to abate the nuisance.  The difficulty comes with boats in that the nuisance could be abated at any point by moving the boat to a new location, thus creating a new nuisance in that location. 

I suppose it's possible that CRT could try and enforce against a boater who they have received numerous complaints about.  I'm not sure what sanctions they have available though.  Can they fine the boater?  The definitely can't refuse to renew the licence.

Isnt this what people who buy houses near the canal use to get it made no mooring areas by their houses. Are we playing into their hands here saying running our engines causes a nuisance and maybe shooting ourselves in the foot

23 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Believe only a court can impose a fine.

CRT have the power to mount a prosecution under the bylaws, but choose never to do so, claiming it is not 'practicable' (or something like that). 

Translated into normal language, they can't be arsed. 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Isnt this what people who buy houses near the canal use to get it made no mooring areas by their houses. Are we playing into their hands here saying running our engines causes a nuisance and maybe shooting ourselves in the foot

Whether you say it's a nuisance or not is entirely irrelevant.

Having said that, the concept of reasonableness is embedded into our legal system, embodied by the fabled 'man on the Clapham Omnibus'.  If a court determines that a resident next to the canal should reasonably expect to hear an engine running, then the nuisance does not exist.  There are no absolute values for noise nuisance, context is everything.  Unfortunately, it seems CRT and local councils would usually rather side with nearby occupants than boaters over this.  Hence we have mooring free zones like that basin in Stourport.

Edited by doratheexplorer

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you need 4 hours a day then I would suggest that 2 hours in the morning and 2 at night is the best way to go, especially if you have solar this time of the year, as you may not need those evening hours if you get a good day.

If I stop on 48 hr moorings I need to run my engine sometime after my first night moored.

Absolutely - I do just this. A morning run to get up to a sensible level of charge, let any solar take over and then the 6-8pm running slot can be shortened or not, depending how the day has been - but importantly it means that by 8pm you will have enough power to get through to the next morning. Also, people do tend to go out during the day, for one reason or another, visiting places etc, so they cannot run the engine then.

Loud horrible engines, quite smooth ones, I don;t think anyone runs them for a laugh - if it's running then they probably really need the power/hot water. The 8-8 rule is spot on and should be obeyed.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

The theory is all very well but, given the current state of council enforcement I could probably remain moored outside someone's house running my engine for a couple of years before they had any hope of getting your,'....officer from the council.....' to come around to witness any alleged noise nuisance. You also pretty much highlight my original view of it being unenforceable since all I'd need to do (if I was of the ilk to want to annoy people) would be to move 100 yards further up the canal and continue as normal.

6 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The theory is all very well but, given the current state of council enforcement I could probably remain moored outside someone's house running my engine for a couple of years before they had any hope of getting your,'....officer from the council.....' to come around to witness any alleged noise nuisance. You also pretty much highlight my original view of it being unenforceable since all I'd need to do (if I was of the ilk to want to annoy people) would be to move 100 yards further up the canal and continue as normal.

Council's have a statutory duty to investigate noise nuisance complaints, so your 'probably' is just an opinion which is 'probably' just based on a hunch, rather than any real knowledge.  That said, council's are incredbly depleted in staff and resources at the moment, so it can be especially irksome dealing with endless reports/complaints which are typically borne out of long standing neighbour disputes rather than anything of substance.

The issue with boats being able to move is just saying it as it is.  It's the same reason boats are exempt from the clean air act.  The authorities would have loved to include boats but it's just not worth it.  Of course, Saddique Khan is clearly looking at ways to crack down on boaters, with the new visitor mooring stretch in Islington outlawing engine running by installing electric bollards.

The thing that really interests me is what happens if you don't comply.  For example, if a boater moored on a visitor mooring by some houses with a history of complaining about boats, and then the boater ran their engine 24/7 indefinitely.  What would actually happen?  What would CRT do?

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Council's have a statutory duty to investigate noise nuisance complaints, so your 'probably' is just an opinion which is 'probably' just based on a hunch, rather than any real knowledge.  That said, council's are incredbly depleted in staff and resources at the moment, so it can be especially irksome dealing with endless reports/complaints which are typically borne out of long standing neighbour disputes rather than anything of substance.

The issue with boats being able to move is just saying it as it is.  It's the same reason boats are exempt from the clean air act.  The authorities would have loved to include boats but it's just not worth it.  Of course, Saddique Khan is clearly looking at ways to crack down on boaters, with the new visitor mooring stretch in Islington outlawing engine running by installing electric bollards.

The thing that really interests me is what happens if you don't comply.  For example, if a boater moored on a visitor mooring by some houses with a history of complaining about boats, and then the boater ran their engine 24/7 indefinitely.  What would actually happen?  What would CRT do?

They might get jolly Peeved?

17 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

'Peeved' always worries me. A 'peeve' is not a word, yet how come people can be peeved, or have a pet peeve?

Maybe I'm just being 'gormless', meaning I don't have a 'gorm'!

They could be PVC'd as in wearing Galoshes and an old Mac.maybe a Gormtex Hat as well?

Gormfree was that the Virginia Mckenna Fillum?

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

'Peeved' always worries me. A 'peeve' is not a word, yet how come people can be peeved, or have a pet peeve?

Maybe I'm just being 'gormless', meaning I don't have a 'gorm'!

Peeve is a word.  Why would you think it isn't?  It's a word.  It's spelled 'peeve'.  It means 'a thing you get peeved about'.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peeve

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Peeve is a word.  Why would you think it isn't?  It's a word.  It's spelled 'peeve'.  It means 'a thing you get peeved about'.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peeve

I think she was just peeving you. 

Can you peeve someone? Or can you only be peeved against?