Off Round The Corner Without A Care

Parahandy

Featured Posts

I decided to Moor Up at Peartree Bridge Milton Keynes as I had a Hospital Appointment and I have been here for over a Week now . Whilst walking along the Towpath I noticed a Boat in the Process of being refitted and to be fair looking through the Window the Tongue and Grooved looked well , I suppose I should add at this stage that the Boat is unoccupied and the Windows bare with no Curtains . A day or so later a Young Lad appears who turns out to be the Owner of the Boat , he apparently was moored in Milton Keynes Marina , the Girlfriend had a Baby , Boat was too small and he had now relocated to Somerset as a Tree Surgeon , in short the Boat was for Sale and he had a Prospective Buyer coming later that Day . My next question was " what are you going to do with all that shit you have dumped on the Towpath " He replied he would move it . Upon my return to my Boat I noticed he had now moved to the front of me which was a Grand Total of 100 yards ??  The Rubbish of course was now sitting unattended . Next Day annoyed by this and with Matey back in Somerset I lifted the Phone to Lisa Jarvis who apparently is responsible for the Milton Keynes Area , I told her the Problem and how I feared that this rubbish was simply being abandoned , I gave her the Index Number of the Offending Boat and the Location , she thanked me for my call but I immediately got the impression she simply wasn't interested , dont get me wrong but what can she do other than mark this Blokes Card , absolutely nothing . Well an hour ago he turned up with a Mate and started his Boat , I remonstrated with him about the rubbish because its not in my Nature to be underhand and go behind Peoples Backs , his reply was that he will be back for it later . Will anyone on the Forum give me odds on this being the case ? ?I shall attempt and saw some up for Kindling later though the Glass from the Front Cratch may be a problem

Its the way these newbies are I am afraid or should I say SOME of the newbies. I must also say that on this years travels BY FAR the crappiest, unkempt, rubbish littered, full dog binned canal was the GU and its well worth giving it a miss if possible.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Is the dumping of rubbish a local council issue rather than a CRT issue? Local Councils are getting more interested in fly tipping.

I bet they are only interested where it is on their land and they have to clean it up. Possibly the Environment Agency but as its CaRT land as far as I can see it is their responsibility to either clear it or leave it. Farmers and the like often have to pay to clear fly tipping. The good thing is that CaRT have at least some contact details for the boater so could, in theory, I suppose bill him for clearing it.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Is the dumping of rubbish a local council issue rather than a CRT issue? Local Councils are getting more interested in fly tipping.

The state of the facilities on the southern part of the GU beggared belief this summer. Rubbish and dog crap everywhere. The dog poo bins completely full with other bags of poo and ordinary rubbish piled round the base of the bins. Below Leighton Buzzard was truly aweful. The trouble is we hear all about it from whichever authority installs such amenities and everybody thinks good on em but very shortly after its obvious after instalation there is no follow up and no staff to maintain and clean or empty such facilities.

• Angry 1

There are simply more and more of these Project Boats which in its self is fair enough but this Dumping of Boaters Rubbish really annoys me , what self respecting boater would want to be associated with that sort of behaviour and what sort of Boater thinks thats permissible . I suppose some would say well he isn't a Boater , he is simply availing himself of cheap accommodation but even this sort of Boater in my experience abhors this sort of behaviour . Put it down to experience and move on i suppose though i may give this Lisa Jarvis another Phone before I depart the Location on Monday

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

There are simply more and more of these Project Boats which in its self is fair enough but this Dumping of Boaters Rubbish really annoys me , what self respecting boater would want to be associated with that sort of behaviour and what sort of Boater thinks thats permissible . I suppose some would say well he isn't a Boater , he is simply availing himself of cheap accommodation but even this sort of Boater in my experience abhors this sort of behaviour . Put it down to experience and move on i suppose though i may give this Lisa Jarvis another Phone before I depart the Location on Monday

Terminology is not quite correct just because some one Owns or Rents a Boat does not Qualify them as a Boater ,Having lived aboard for 45 Years I know hundreds of Boaters and none of them would consider dumping Litter as this Rodney has done.

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It is an offence under the CRT bylaws.

But, as we know, C&RT do not implement their bye-laws, or pursue any infractions.

We have a small lay-by at the top of our 1/2 mile long single track access 'road'. It is regularly filled with builders rubble, fridges, freezers etc, the council come and clear it away but they can take no action unless there is any evidence of who dumped it.

Apparently, even if evidence is found amongst the rubbish (ie an addressed envelope) this is not sufficient as the 'owner' could have paid someone in good faith to remove the rubbish, but rather than paying the charges at the 'tip', they pocket it and tip it in our hedge bottom.

29 minutes ago, Halsey said:

The southern GU etc is simply an alternative living housing estate these days and no-one is doing anything about controlling it - v sad - as said its not everyone but it is a high percentage.

I dont believe they can control it and Politicians dont want it controlled either . Presumably CRT have decided to take advantage if the Proliferation of Wide Beams is anything to go by.

35 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Terminology is not quite correct just because some one Owns or Rents a Boat does not Qualify them as a Boater ,Having lived aboard for 45 Years I know hundreds of Boaters and none of them would consider dumping Litter as this Rodney has done.

Well I have lived aboard for over 40 years too but so what ? People need a Home and things have clearly changed , its the Managing of the change that has largely been a shambles and it continues to be so . Look no further than the Latest Winter Mooring Fiasco on the GU South where Prices have increased and Duration has been cut . Why ? People are struggling Financially some without a Pay Rise for many Years and the Moorings are hardly oversubscribed . I am happy with my Terminology and you have said nothing in your Post I haven't already said .

For various reasons we spent a total of 3 weeks moored near Anderton Services. (we did move and come back in that time) The dumping of rubbish from boat recurs was a daily occurrence. The waste contractors won't take it as its not in a bin, nor would they move if if it obstructed the bins so a CRT pickup had to come, clean the site up so that the bins could then be emptied. Presumably CRT then had to pay to dispose of the stuff. 

And there is a canalside council tip just a few hours cruise up the canal. 

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Its the way these newbies are I am afraid or should I say SOME of the newbies. I must also say that on this years travels BY FAR the crappiest, unkempt, rubbish littered, full dog binned canal was the GU and its well worth giving it a miss if possible.

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

I'm of the opinion that many who have taken on a boat as an affordable residence just assume they can leave junk outside and it will just disappear, as it often does when placed outside of a house. When we had a mooring near Uxbridge the local council progressively removed bins that were close to the canal, due to boaters piling heaps of bin bags and other junk around them.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I bet they are only interested where it is on their land and they have to clean it up. Possibly the Environment Agency but as its CaRT land as far as I can see it is their responsibility to either clear it or leave it. Farmers and the like often have to pay to clear fly tipping. The good thing is that CaRT have at least some contact details for the boater so could, in theory, I suppose bill him for clearing it.

Farmers are known to be upset when the local council refuses to shift some significant fly tipping when they take the view that it is on the farmer's land and not theirs. Removal can be very expensive especially if suspected to contain noxious stuff.

• Greenie 1

I have a friend who owns a paddock some half mile from his property at the end of a no through road/track during the early summer he want up with tractor/mower to cut the grass the entrance is a 5 barred gate a pile of fly tip/rubbish blocked the gate eventually right dept of council advised & made appointment to view long story short because 2 plastic sacks of rubbish were in the paddock it was deemed his responsibility to clear it up even though the majority was on council land & required moving to open the gate Council quoted him £500 to do the job he reckoned it cost some £60 to do the job but as he says it should not have been down to him